Animatronic Pirate Barker Build

Lord Hater

Hey! Remember the Pirate Barker Bird outside of Disneyworld's Pirates of the Caribbean?
1711147146418.png

(Photo from DisneyFans.com)
No? Me either! But he's really cool, so I decided to build one!

Originally called the "Plaza Parrot," he was designed by Marc Davis - best known for animating Cruella DeVille.
1711147287306.png

Here's Marc pretending to draw the finished animatronic:
Marc_Plaza_Parrot.png

Luckily there's a lot of great reference for this bird on the internet.
Disney brought one to D23 to promote the Pirates of the Caribbean movie:
1711147672331.jpeg

And the incredible Kevin and Jody made one to auction for charity:
1711147756333.jpeg

Another lesson learned was to design with maintenance in mind. Accessing the head servos and beak linkages was a nightmare, so this time the face is a seperate piece, held in place with magnets.

The face is 3D printed resin- making it fragile and it will shatter when you drop them on the floor right after you paint them... Sigh.
IMG_3617.jpg

Another huge improvement over the previous build is using Design Master paint. Designed for flowers, it's fine enough to use on fur and feathers as well as hard surfaces, allowing you to match colors across multiple materials. Amazing!

1711384039513.png

I am an AVID fan of both the Disneyland and Disney World POTC attractions and have amassed a modest memorabilia collection over the years. I would LOVE to have a static prop of our beloved barker bird! I LOVE you progress so far, and if you would be willing to do a commissioned work, PLEASE PM me!

Kevin and Jody's Barker Bird was auctioned off back ~12 years ago I believe, but it has recently re-appeared at Heritage Auctions Disney/Marc & Alice Davis' collection. You can see him here... (time code queued and ready)

dte113939LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back