1/6th PR Face Shield from Nautilus PowerRoom

modeleers

Sr Member
I'm building a 1/6th scale Face Shield - as seen in the PowerRoom on board the Nautilus / 1954 Disney version. {this is a one-off client build / no kit from this build}

My friend Stephen McConnel cleaned-up the over-copied plans & from the improved image - the approximate size was determined to render this 1/6th replica. {my inner geek wishes I could read the plans-notes}
PRFaceshield_zps31ec9d88.jpg

As usual the plans are off a little bit from the prop that eventually ended up in the film.
Stephen also sent me some ScreenCaps - note how close Aronnax'a eyes are to the viewer.
PRFShield_zps40ead7f1.jpg

Here's a great side view - but note how far back Aronnax's head & face are from the viewer now - because of what appears to be a head rest &/or secondary shield.
PRFShield_zpsa72ad0b2.jpg

The initial shape, thickness & angle of the Face Shield part is complete.
PRFSshapefin_zpsad530747.jpg

PRFSshapefin2_zpsf293c39e.jpg

Chest shield & Shoulder Harness shapes nearly complete...
PRFSharnessshapes_zps868c0006.jpg

2ndary plate - Padding. This was accomplished by adding multiple layers of Formula 560, a laborious process similar to sculpting with clay.

First I fabricated the bulkier-shapes, next I blended & softened the bulk-shapes to render a more hand crafted look to the padding.

I've test-blended a small section of 3 pads {see lower-center Left}
PRFSfacepadding_zpse3bfab31.jpg

Wing Padding - the same process adds padding to the right shoulder part.
PRFSWingPadding_zpse0f3f55a.jpg

On the edges of the various patrz is a type of insulation that I pet-named - cream filling.
To fabricate this I took some half-round strips applied some primer & sprinkled on some iron particles {Thanx again, Stephen!} & some more primer & a coat of some gloss Brown paint I had handy to lock-in the particulates.
PRFSCreamFilling_zps2c4f634d.jpg

Rivets & Glass in window applied.
{tinted window glass is from 3D glasses}
PRFSGlassRivets_zpsb75eda6d.jpg

I've yet to apply rivets on the visor or window frame...

all the rivets are fin!
prfsrivet-fin_zps842a1338.jpg

next-up:
apply sandwiched {cream-filling} insulation on the outside edges
paint & weather outside & inside surfaces - Silver
then paint face & shoulder cushions - Brown
cut & install new visor glass {the original got scratched}

when complete it should look something like this
Nauti-PRFS_zpsedb2ee6b.jpg

to be continued...

Last edited:
very cool! love these obscure props, especially from one of my favorite movies! cant wait to see this painted up

Very cool! I don't find this to be an "obscure" prop, as it figures in a major sequence in the film. Anyone wanting to build a Power Room dio would be interested in this prop.

Had a small delay:
You know the old story wherein a child tells the teacher - 'my dog ate my homework.'
Well, I had a similar experience - While doing a test assembly, I dropped the viewport frame & my dog tried to make a meal of it,
so I had make a new one. - I should be wrapping-up this client-build this weekend.
Pics soon - if my dog doesn't eat the camera...

Hmmm....dog drool as a weathering agent? Maybe you should have left a tooth mark or two? :D

P.S. ...as previously noted...looks great ;)

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Your build is brilliant! Exceptionally well executed.

I found these props in the film to be both interesting and a bit disturbing. Not sure why but they struck me as a bit unsettling. Perhaps it was the eyes set into that HUGE plate of steel with that enormous power source flickering off it. But I love the film and this is such a cool prop. Lucky client.

Ted.
Prefect42.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back