1:18 Ferrari 355 - The Rock

PHArchivist

Master Member
Those that know me may recall I collect 1:18 model cars, all film-based. About 50 so far...

Always wanted the Ferrari from the HumVee / Ferrari chase in The Rock.

The Ferrari 355 is modeled in this scale in the correct yellow, but the film car is a convertible, and the model is a targa top. The 355 1:18 models that are convertibles are red with beige interior, and are fixed with the top down (top is up on the yellow picture car).

Wasn't sure how well I could convert the spider to a convertible, but thought, "Oh well, why not...!"

So I ordered the yellow targa version, and made it a convertible myself!

I just spray painted some masking tape black, and applied accordingly. Its not totally perfect, but sells the concept. I'm pretty proud of myself for it!

This...
355 013.jpg

Is now this:
355 012.jpg

355 014.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 355 010.jpg
    355 010.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 355 011.jpg
    355 011.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Looks good to me. I always figure unless someone's going to be staring at a project up close when you're done and knows what the item is from it doesn't have to be perfect as long as you're happy with it.

And this took all of about 30 minutes to do. And being masking tape, it can come right back off. Point being, if I want to go back in at a later date, and do it even better, I can.

In other words, no one can come at me saying, "Dude - you just ****ed up your Ferrari!"...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a real 355 for what its worth...

088TVFerrariVert3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Not sure if you're aware or it matters... but the original 355 in the Movie was rebodied Pontiac Fiero. In the final scene when the car crashes (into the cable car - I think) you can see the entire fiberglass body panel pop off. :)

Looks great! Not sure if you're aware or it matters... but the original 355 in the Movie was rebodied Pontiac Fiero. In the final scene when the car crashes (into the cable car - I think) you can see the entire fiberglass body panel pop off. :)

Did they use both? A real 355 and the mock up? Or was the entire sequence done with the Fiero?

Did they use both? A real 355 and the mock up? Or was the entire sequence done with the Fiero?

They definately used both! The interior shots and close-ups were a real 355. The jumps and the final crash were a Fiero. A bit more cost effective than smashing a REAL Ferrari.

If you have the movie - freeze frame when it crashes into the cable car. :)

The Fiero was / is an amazing donor car for replicas - not just rebodies. There is now an entire subcolture for the Fiero. Folks showhorn 454 engines into the back of these little cars. There is a guy in the Fiero world who offers a complete 355 interior kit for the Fiero - it almost identical to the original. I had an 88 Fiero. I loved it.

Check out this vid of a Fiero being transformed in the 355

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExhCc4Vv9E

Interior - hopefully you can see the pics :)

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083377.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back