ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

nope the airsoft is a cyma. was originally gonna get a dboys but the site i was gonna get one cheap from went out of stock. am not disappointed at all in the cyma though. 100% metal aside from the real wood furniture and plastic grip. and the bull barrel/flash suppressor unscrews like the real gun with same threading so very easy to do anything you want to it. the orange tip is also a plastic molded around it and takes about 10 seconds with a wire cutter to competely remove

Someone should start offering machined parts; one section at a time.

If I had drawings for the main frames everything bolts to, I could have them machined out of aluminum really easily. My machinist and I talked about this a while back, but I don't have a clue about the measurements.

Yea I'm still deciding on how I wanna do the grip. Thats still a ways off though lol.

Once I get close on the frame/plate measurements I'll post it up on here to see what people think. So far I've just been doing less than accurate measuring based on the length of the rocket cone and the round plate

Seabass, why did you not leave the lip around the front of the pod???
I need to cut mine and looking at some pics , there seems to be a recessed lip around, i may be wrong.
Also , did the movie version of the zf have the ak in it?,
Marcel

I debated the lip for a little bit, but in the end it would have been more work than I wanted to do to grind it down to uniform thickness, especially when it might be easier to just add a piece on after the fact.
Also, I started cutting off the front before thinking too much about it :p

So I better post something too!!
I received the pods form Skate, I asked him for an awesome set and he sent me an awesome set! thank you.
The pod has minor filling to none.
I picked it up this morning form the post , went home and cut it up!
LEFT the lip!!lol.
I have been speaking with zombie about working together to get somewhere quicker, so I did the plates for the top half only of the pod minus the lift back assembly as I have not yet cut it out.
I will add "L" brackets to the pods upper hull and cement them in with fiberglass. This will allow to fully bolt up the hull to the laser cut alloy frame, the rear lift sight wil have its own frame and so will the bottom of the pod.
1mm alloy sheeting is more than sufficient for this.
I need to transfer them in autocad, which I may have a friend otherwise I dont know how to do it.
Taking the cad files will save heaps on setup costs i been told.
Zombie is working on the maglite extensions , I will then get them turned up.
any and all help is welcome !!

pictures are of the card mockup of the frame, seems ok, will need the switches to determine the correct position.

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

I tweeked those maglight end drawings a little but need to redo the scale. I think they are a bit too big/long.

ok Lewis (LDR ) will try and transfer the diagrams to cad files, he now has the 2 side plates, i am still working on the 2 side ones that go to the rear, I just am waiting on the models to fit the lift up sight, to measure.

On another note I noticed that there is a machined section on the bullpup, meaning that they used 32mm alloy tube, probably the same worldwide, this means the rocket tip just fits like the pic after grinding it.
Also i cut the fins but also they have been modified, there is no 90degree upright fin, it is angled .
the rear fin has been done in alloy, which I will also get cut,
here is mine

DSC_0742.jpg

Last edited:

pictures are of the card mockup of the frame, seems ok, will need the switches to determine the correct position.

Glad to see you received the pod. Your sketch is looking good, but seems to be a little tall. After three revisions and still not finalized, my current working height from the center of the rail bracket hole (top, above rocket) to the bottom is 140mm. Also, there is an 8-9 degree angle on the edge paralleling the grip.

Thank you Kurt for giving some advise, its good to hear form the gurus!!!!
and again , pod is excellent quality and finish.
Funny thing about that angle, I corrected it last minute as i only saw it in the blueray version, thank you for that!
also I have exactly 140mm to the one i think you mentioned (marked in red)
and 152mm to the top before the angle.
I had just last night given these to Lewis and this morning he sent me this.
Great stuff mate! the angle is there but i dont think it can be seen.

I still need to give him the location of the holes .
I will be taking this diagram tomorrow, the tabs on the top and bottom will insert to the top plate and bottom plate to be either screwed or riveted in place.
this is one of various cutouts that will eventually form the armature.
3d_3d-1.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, those measuring points are correct. Might want to move that tab back to the horizontal plane or it's going to cover the holes in the front plate and have a fastener showing.

ok Lewis (LDR )
On another note I noticed that there is a machined section on the bullpup, meaning that they used 32mm alloy tube, probably the same worldwide, this means the rocket tip just fits like the pic after grinding it.
Also i cut the fins but also they have been modified, there is no 90degree upright fin, it is angled .
here is mine

DSC_0742.jpg

There are 2 different variations on the rocket tube. One is like you show where the tube is oversized and ground down at the end, the other has the tube slightly smaller than the tip. It depends on the prop. I think the flame thrower got the smaller tube not sure about the others.

ok Lewis (LDR ) will try and transfer the diagrams to cad files, he now has the 2 side plates, i am still working on the 2 side ones that go to the rear, I just am waiting on the models to fit the lift up sight, to measure.

here is mine

DSC_0742.jpg

i spy dropship helmet!

Lewis is that all you see???

Kurt , excellent point, you know exactly how i wanted to attach it !
tab will be moved, thank you again.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back