Started building everyone's favorite Droid this month. Now that I've got some actual progress I decided to bring the thread over and share it with the Rpf.
Based on the Jag v5 Astromech frame, I started construction. THe frame is made of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum, and 3/4 inch 6061 Aluminum Round Rod. It also has 2 wood components to mount the legs to (didn't have any 1/2" Aluminum). I won't bore you guys to much with the construction details, but lets just say it took some time to fabricate.
(also tapping holes for hours on end suxs)
After the basic frame construction (and during the tapping of holes) I took a break from the body to start construction on the legs. The legs are accurate to scale, and are based on several other leg designs from astromech.net, but are mostly designed after the Jag legs.
I now have the frame mostly done (need to start adding inner component pans). I am still drilling and tapping holes (which is super boring...) with frequent breaks to work on other parts . I have completed the two outer legs. I still need to do some clean up work on the welds, and polish them up, but here are some shots of them and the frame. The Legs are pretty much stock. I based them off of the prints from the files section, and pictures of other members Alum Legs. I also added an access hatch to the inside of the legs in case I have to add extra wiring later on.
Next big project part will be welding together ankles...