You volunteered, didn't you? We're paying you, aren't we?

Phish4dinner

Remember this?
hqdefault.jpg

ghostbusters.jpg

I sure hope so.. It's one of the most remembered scenes from Ghostbusters. But WHAT IS THAT THING?!?

Now aside from the Bacharach gas sniffer Venkman was pumping in Dana's apartment. The other random props in the movie are practically unused and go completely unnoticed. But this one has always kept me in wonder. Well, during my usual searches through surplus. I found what we were looking for...

It's a Beckman PH Meter
1235245_594642410574944_1075757638_n.jpg

267271_594642567241595_694283065_n.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 303
  • vlcsnap-4540.png
    vlcsnap-4540.png
    118 KB · Views: 328
  • ghostbusters-electric-shocks.gif
    ghostbusters-electric-shocks.gif
    149.6 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
I should also point out that in the only closeup of the device we get, you can see that the lever Venkman pushes looks very similar to the stubby antennas for the MT500 radios. I mention this because of all the models i've checked out, that style of lever varies. The panel meter on the screen used box is also round instead of square. The one i purchased thats pictured above will keep me happy for now :)

I apologize if i should've posted this elsewhere. The mods can feel free to move it if needed.

I hope this info is helpful to some of you! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice unique find! I never thought to look for that prop!

I wasn't actually looking for it when I found it. I've just watched that scene so many times and burned the look of the device into my brain and always kept an eye out while part searching. I like the thrill of the hunt ;)

It's a Beckman PH Meter Model G right? I think they go for about $75-$100 on evil bay.

I stumble on them a few years ago while looking at 'cool stuff'.

Something about brass, wood and dials/knobs... :D

lol Yeah, G model i believe is correct.. I saw this on a past ebay listing. Its much closer to the exact model used.

1149061_595501527155699_972247416_n.jpg

I doubled checked the scene and its missing the top left knob but pretty much that is what you need to look for. It seems they were only made in that style in the 1930s. The one i pictured in the first post is from 1948. But after getting overexcited, I dug all day and now have one on the way thats like the one in this photo. I'm going to just put that left knob from the other one the right one, remove the cover and call it day. :)

They seem to be slightly available but still scarce. They do have a market with vintage electronic and steampunk collectors. But I wouldnt expect that to last very long tho since I made it known as a GB prop :D

Just got my more accurate meter in the mail. It could use a good cleaning and wood restoration. Wasn't planning on it because i like the antique look. But, I changed my mind after getting a splinter from the little front door. Considering its a PH meter it couldve been worse from the messy, wet nature of its purpose. Anyways, I've never been so happy over flipping a switch before. Can't wait to rig it up and shock people. :D

Nevermind the cell phone quality
1234621_10151598617958231_2018595152_n.jpg

Hey, I was just re watching the movie and it looks like the one in the movie does actually have the top left knob, or at least that's what I'm seeing. What does everyone else think?

Hey, I was just re watching the movie and it looks like the one in the movie does actually have the top left knob, or at least that's what I'm seeing. What does everyone else think?

It has it. I'm taking the knob from the other one i bought and putting it on the more accurate one. ;)

Nice ID work, how did I miss this thread?

Once you get the Zener deck, you'll just need the Tomy Wonderful Waterfuls game.

378296_386737208106515_898489944_n.jpg

And a clipboard.

Alex

Remember this?
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/fn7-JZq0Yxs/hqdefault.jpg
http://cdn.toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ghostbusters.jpg

I sure hope so.. It's one of the most remembered scenes from Ghostbusters. But WHAT IS THAT THING?!?

Now aside from the Bacharach gas sniffer Venkman was pumping in Dana's apartment. The other random props in the movie are practically unused and go completely unnoticed. But this one has always kept me in wonder. Well, during my usual searches through surplus. I found what we were looking for...

It's a Beckman PH Meter
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1235245_594642410574944_1075757638_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/267271_594642567241595_694283065_n.jpg

So where is the wonderful place that sells stuff like this.

You can find vintage equipment all over swap meats, flea markets, and the internet. Pretend you're on American Pickers.. Its rare but sometimes you get can get lucky

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back