Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I hadn't seen this one done before, so I went ahead and made one.:lol

Cold cast brass raised areas with anodized bronze coloring. The raised areas have a nice brushed finish. 13"x9" finished size.

done01re6.jpg

done01aee1.jpg

done02ma6.jpg

done03eo4.jpg

This is the lasered plex master. Kinda hard to see, but I left it with no primer and the mold came out perfect.

plex01tn1.jpg

And a painted plaque in the process of having the letters scraped.

process01fv2.jpg

And in case anyone is interested:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=490909#post490909

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, it's outside the gates of the school from all 3 movies

You are correct sir!

Based on screencaps from the movies.

I'm pretty sure the actual plaque is bigger than the one I made. I went more for a "comfortable" size, rather than "ginormous".

This looks absolutely tremendous; thanks for making them available! I showed it to my wife earlier, and even she thought it was pretty sweet - this from the girl who is lukewarm (at best) to the rest of my collection. :p

I sent over Paypal for one this morning; looking forward to seeing it on my wall. :cool

"looking forward to seeing it on my wall."
Ditto on that.

Any timeline on how soon these will be shipping?

Fantastic work dude. I'm curious, is the texture on the receeded part by design, or was that an artifact of the process??

that's a 'sideeffect' of laserengraving. The deeper you engrave, the more visible it gets. I cleaned it up on the panel of the constantine lighter that were also laserengraved, but on this plate, it looks very cool imho

This looks absolutely tremendous; thanks for making them available! I showed it to my wife earlier, and even she thought it was pretty sweet - this from the girl who is lukewarm (at best) to the rest of my collection. :p
:cool

Thanks man. It's funny, because my wife had the same reaction. She loves this plaque but couldn't care less about anything else I have. Go figure.

And indeed the texture is an artifact of the laser as LeMarchand said. I took it down quite a bit, but left some for the "texture" effect. I don't know how you had the patience to remove it all from the lighter.:thumbsup

it was relatively easy. i made a urethane mold of the laserengraved pieces and a silicon mold of those. I cast a resin copy in that, which basicly was a negative resin cast of what i needed (the raised areas where now recessed. I sanded it smooth and did the same molding trick again and i ended up with resin casts for the proto with absolutely smooth recesses.

You could do it easier ofcoarse by laserengraving a negative in the firstplace and sand it smooth and then do the molding trick.

But like i said, on this plaque it looks really nice and adds to the piece like it was etched.

now check your email, dammit :lol

Mines been sent in the mail. I will take a few pics and post a review when it makes it here. I have thought about having this done in the past and really am looking forward to getting this one. May end up purchasing one or two more.

dude, it's been 4 years since this thread was posted. He made and sold them already, you will be better off sending Gordon a PM.

There were two separate projects done quite a while ago by a certain member on commission. Only 5 were made, one is hanging in my study:

1497467.jpeg

The other which is at the top of this thread I believe was made and offered in the JY quite some time ago:

1787482.jpeg

Here's a cap from X1 showing the plaque.

attachment.php

Looks a bit different than the previous attempts so far. A closer typeface and the X symbol doesn't look stretched.

Might be time to develop a new plaque project. :love

Nick

Both previous projects were a brass embedded resin. I would LOVE to see these done in a real metal plate with the graphics not getting squished to the side a bit. Seems to be an issue with both previous attempts. Both are undersized as well but the bottom one was very small, you can see my computer mouse at the top of the second pick. My first picture is about twice the size of that one.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back