WIP - Rocketeer Rocket Pack (Movie Version) Scratch-build

TimeyWimey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Now that the helmet is done, turning my attention to the rocket pack. First order of business: tubing for the rockets.

The dimensions I've seen posted elsewhere on the forum show the tubes should be 7.25" outside diameter. I'm trying to work out where to get that.

Ideally, I'd order 7" (close enough) acrylic tubing. Although it would be a bit heavy, it can be found thin-walled (1/8") and it would be strong. Unfortunately, it's crazy expensive. Interstate Plastics sells it in 72" lengths (twice as much as I need) for $333.

So, 7" PVC pipe? It's hard to find. Assuming it's actually 7" outside diameter (which you can't count on with PVC pipe), Harrison Plastic has it with .187" walls, but it's sold in 10' lengths = $217.

If I scale it down a bit and use 6" pipe (which I'd rather not do), it gets easier. 6" PVC pipe (actually 6.625" outside diameter) is available as schedule 40 (1/4" walls, a bit too thick) in a 5' length, for $89.

Until I work out the pipe I'm using, I can't do much, because the diameter of the tubing determines the scale.

Any suggestions?

Plastic tube to hold architect drawings/blueprints? (at your local artist's store), or how about cardboard tubes used to make concrete forms/columns for deck footing?

As Joberg mentioned, concrete form/column tubes would work very well. When I had built my rocketpack, I had rolled my own tubes, using a larger cardboard tube that had the diameter I wanted on the inside. On hindsite, I'd get them a bit undersized to add layers of posterboard to the outside and bring it up to the desired diameter, hide the tube seams and smooth out the surface. It would have been a lot easier.

Awesome, another Rocketpack scratch build!

The 6" you buy at a big box store is Schedule 40 and it's way too thick.

I bought 6" thin wall PVC from this site: FlexPVC.com. Buy flexible pvc pipe from the original FlexPVC.com, not the imitators. PVC pipe, hose, tubing, pvc plastic pipe fittings & plastic pvc furniture fittings online @ wholesale discount prices (flexable)
It has worked out extremely well for me so far.

Here's my build thread of you're interested:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/scratch-build-rocketeer-cirrus-x-3-rocketpack-193723/

I look forward to watching your build!

Last edited:
Awesome, another Rocketpack scratch build!

The 6" you buy at a big box store is Schedule 40 and it's way too thick.

I bought 6" thin wall PVC from this site: FlexPVC.com. Buy flexible pvc pipe from the original FlexPVC.com, not the imitators. PVC pipe, hose, tubing, pvc plastic pipe fittings & plastic pvc furniture fittings online @ wholesale discount prices (flexable)
It has worked out extremely well for me so far.

Here's my build thread of you're interested:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/scratch-build-rocketeer-cirrus-x-3-rocketpack-193723/

I look forward to watching your build!

Wow, thanks. Your build is a treasure-trove of good ideas. Your threads on here were invaluable for my helmet build as well, so thanks!

Ordered the thin-wall 6" pipe from flexpvc.com
I ordered two 2' lengths.
The pipe is actually 6.625" outside diameter, with approx 1/8" thick walls. That's just 5/8" smaller than the real thing, so I don't think it'll be obvious the rocket pack is slightly scaled down. Now that I've got the scale, I can start working on other parts while I wait for the pipe to arrive...

Nice. That was exactly my idea. I'm only 5'7" so a slightly smaller pack is fine. To figure out how much to scale things down, I've been using photos of the pack from Google and sizing them down to the tube in the photo is the 6.625. That way I know how much to scale everything else proportionally.

Last edited:
if you need any specific measurements...please let me know....

may take me awhile to get them to you...darn hard drive crashed...luckily, all my rocketeer files were saved on a usb port

While waiting for the tubing to arrive (should see it Friday), I started drawing up plans, and mocked up one of the boosters in cardboard to get a sense of scale.

pack01.jpg

Hey Timey. Any progress? Excited to see your work.

Thanks! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. It's been busy around here and I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked to.

The tubing came in, it's just perfect. Thanks for the suggestion for the vendor:
pack02.jpg

Since I was taking so long to get going on the pack, I whipped up a "flat pack" to use on Halloween with the rest of the costume. I also ended up wearing it to Southern Maryland Comic Con, where I got to meet up with R2-D2:
flatpack01.jpg

flatpack02.jpg

Finally got down to work. I cut a bunch of wooden discs in various diameters to approximate the shape of one of the rocket's nosecones. Then I glued them together in a stack.
pack03.jpg
pack04.jpg

I covered the discs with Bondo, and set about refining them to the final shape, but I haven't quite got there yet. Once this is done, with all its details, I'll cast two of them in Urethane Resin like I did with the helmet.
pack05.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back