XRobots - Short Circuit Johnny 5 - Full CAD release from Input-Inc! #17

XRobots

There's a facebook group containing 5 albums with around 1100 photos of Johnny 5 taken to pieces, reportedly at the home of Eric Allard. Some have a ruler next to them for size reference.

The facebook group is mainly focused on modifying a miniature version of Johnny 5 which is also being traded there, but some people are building full size. Photos are in the photos section of the group called 'Trip pictures', there are a few CAD files for the full size head in the files section.

Here's the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/119192911569025/

Here's my blog post about the whole thing: XRobots.co.uk - Johnny 5, Short Circuit

And my video about it and the toy version which I acquired there:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Who would like over 1000 photos of the original Short Circuit Johnny 5 in pieces?

I just found that page a couple of days ago. Ive been looking through the downloads and photos.
I also bought 2 kits that were for sale on there.

Re: Who would like over 1000 photos of the original Short Circuit Johnny 5 in pieces?

Sad to see J5 in that shape. On the other hand its cool seeing how he was built. I just hope its not one of those instances where something is torn down and never put back together again.

"Jonny 5 in pieces!" :p

Sad to see J5 in that shape. On the other hand its cool seeing how he was built. I just hope its not one of those instances where something is torn down and never put back together again.

I believe the story was that Terry Andrews, who took the pictures, visited Eric Allard and they both worked on it for approx a week, so it was quite calculated. Johnny 5 has since been sold in one piece: Short Circuit's Johnny Five On Auction Block Starting at $100,000; Steve Guttenberg Sold Separately

287716-untitled.png

Excellent - glad to know there are already some J5 fans around here.

Bit of an update on this one, Input-Inc - the team who are trying to create the most accurate Johnny 5 replica (this is where the 1000+ photos came from) have reactivated their facebook page and will be publishing some more info soon!: https://www.facebook.com/inputinc

This is incredible, Thanks for sharing! Got my eye on those kits!

This is incredible, Thanks for sharing! Got my eye on those kits!

No problems. Input-Inc have just provided a download with all of the previously mentioned 1000+ photos in one zip, and over 20 hours of video showing every detail of J5 in pieces and measurements for every piece. Link is on their facebook page, but here it is for future reference.

https://www.facebook.com/inputinc
https://mega.co.nz/#F!qtRnFQoB!j_irPomGiO4igkuKC1a1sg

Re: XRobots - Short Circuit Johnny 5 build - 3D printing J5's head

Very cool! What's the chances of J5's head being available 1:1? I just want a lifesize bust...

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I loved this robot growing up, I will definitely have to add this to the growing list of thing I need to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! What's the chances of J5's head being available 1:1? I just want a lifesize bust...

I don't sell props I'm afraid, but the CAD files are there if you can find someone to print them.

I watched your video and I think it would be cool if you used spray on chrome for this project. The kits are a bit exspensive, but work well and can be aged. I plan on using it for a rocketeer pack that I am going to build.

Oh, Lord ... My wife once told me during a viewing of Short Circuit "If you start building a Johnny 5, I WILL divorce you." With the CAD files public, and my 3D printer coming in soon, I might be getting into BIG trouble pretty soon. xD

Maybe I can get away with building just the head?

Last edited:
hi today I got my cad files for J5 I thought I could open them with pepakura but I can't all I want is to make a paper version of it for my front room can anyone help me with this problem thanks .

Try edrawings from solid works.
It's a free download. You should be able to resave in different formats.
I'm not sure about pepakura though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back