where to find grey foam liners?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i have seen a few custom gun cases here (like for the PKD and whatnot), and i was curious where you find that grey foam for the lining?

anyone have a good place online to bookmark? i cant seem to find it locally.

thanks.
chris

bingo. cept not the "egg crate" stuff at the top. the case that has been designed and asked for has a clear top.

chris

The foam is good for transporting a prop, but that would mean you need something on top of it to keep from banging against the lid. You may need tie-downs then. If it is for display as well I would think about cutting the form out of layers of cardboard and making a velvet liner. It would look very classy. It would also give you a better base for the tie-downs.

i got the foam your looking for from a fabric store in the next town over from me, one 4ft x 8ft sheet 1 inch thick and one 4ft x 8ft 1/2 inch thick sheet both grey. paid about 30 dollars total.

don't bother with joann fabrics or michaels neither place around me carried it. all they had was the pillow foam stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Samos 3 @ Jan 20 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1401590[/snapback]</div>
Showing my ignorance here - Are the shapes of the stored object cut into the foam or molded in when the foam is made?
[/b]

its cut into the foam., what i do is trace the object on the back of the foam then cut it out, they actually make a gun that heats up to cut foam, (still need to get one) that gives really clean edges, I then turn the foam over and place my item into the front of the foam. OH and I line the bottom of the case with the 1/2 inch thick foam for the padding.

Yeah, cutting the shape out of the foam is the way I've done it in the past. I was wondering about thicker solid blocks of foam where the precise shape of the object seems to have been molded in or machined out by a router.

the prop wont be transported in the case, the guy just wants one to show off the prop with a clear lid.

sector 7g - any brand names on the foam you got?

chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Jan 20 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]1401627[/snapback]</div>
the prop wont be transported in the case, the guy just wants one to show off the prop with a clear lid.

sector 7g - any brand names on the foam you got?

chris
[/b]

nope srry chris, i just basically pulled out the phone book and kept asking, "do you have any grey foam" until i finally found a place. its just a huge fabric warehouse and a section has all kinds of foam in various sizes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Jan 20 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1401499[/snapback]</div>
bingo. cept not the "egg crate" stuff at the top. the case that has been designed and asked for has a clear top.

chris
[/b]
Here is a place that I believe has what you are looking for. foambymail.com

You could just make one of these with common tools a piece of Styrofoam some felt and spray adhesive.

displayinsert_tutorial_main.gif

hey!

Bang!
i got new quality case foam for my gun! its very handy and easy to carry! it has also different styles. south dash pak d0t c0m gives me wonderful idea about it! ready to battle up guys! gear up!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back