data-ad-slot="1369189895">
Subscribe
  1. Tarchinoko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Hong Kong (residence), United Kingdom (schooling)
    Messages
    305
    Feb 8, 2013, 8:05 AM - Whats a good high build primer? #1

    working with mdf is great! until it comes time to prime it, with all those fuzzy edges its best to prime it with filler primer first to help remove it all.

    The problem I am having is the brand I use right now takes 24 hours to dry and so really slows down the build process especially if it takes 3-4 coats of the stuff to get a nice smooth surface. Does anyone know a fast drying high build primer? preferably available in the UK
  2. data-ad-slot="8650514066">
    data-ad-slot="7832116010">
  3. Pobbrett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Messages
    652
    Feb 8, 2013, 12:45 PM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #2

    you can buy mdf sealer then spray as normal (i'll be trying sealing with pva glue and then spraying)

    Quick Dry MDF Primer 750ml - Wood Paint - Paint -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes
  4. Tarchinoko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Hong Kong (residence), United Kingdom (schooling)
    Messages
    305
    Feb 8, 2013, 4:07 PM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #3

    Pobbrett said: View Post
    you can buy mdf sealer then spray as normal (i'll be trying sealing with pva glue and then spraying)

    Quick Dry MDF Primer 750ml - Wood Paint - Paint -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes
    Thanks! yeah if this does the same as a spray on filler primer but takes much less time to dry then thats great! yeah i prime it with regular primer after filler primer anyways just to make sure I get a nice smooth finish :P
  5. "M" RPF Premium Member Michael Bergeron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Messages
    12,396
    Feb 8, 2013, 4:21 PM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #4

    For the edges of MDF drywall compound works well to clog up the pores. Also, I've found that the best sealant is just your standard poly (as used on hardwood floors). The quick dry stuff is ready to be sanded and painted in a couple hours.

    Gives you a glass smooth texture that's very durable.
  6. kurtyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    From
    UK
    Messages
    6,688
    Feb 8, 2013, 6:33 PM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #5

    I got a perfect finish on my real Thompson wood grip to pulse rifle conversion using U-pol 5 from Halfords. Took four or five coats with sanding with 600 grit in between (but not wet sanding as that caused the wood exposed grain to swell LOL!) in between. I used a little P38 to fill the roughest of areas.




    Michael Bergeron said: View Post
    For the edges of MDF drywall compound works well to clog up the pores. Also, I've found that the best sealant is just your standard poly (as used on hardwood floors). The quick dry stuff is ready to be sanded and painted in a couple hours.

    Gives you a glass smooth texture that's very durable.
  7. Tarchinoko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Hong Kong (residence), United Kingdom (schooling)
    Messages
    305
    Feb 9, 2013, 1:32 AM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #6

    kurtyboy said: View Post
    I got a perfect finish on my real Thompson wood grip to pulse rifle conversion using U-pol 5 from Halfords. Took four or five coats with sanding with 600 grit in between (but not wet sanding as that caused the wood exposed grain to swell LOL!) in between. I used a little P38 to fill the roughest of areas.



    how long was the dry time for that spray?
  8. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    england - warwickshire actually
    Messages
    430
    Feb 9, 2013, 5:03 AM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #7

    I also use the same upol high build and etch primers available in halfords and auto paint supply shops
  9. kurtyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    From
    UK
    Messages
    6,688
    Feb 9, 2013, 5:11 PM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #8

    Just gave it a few hours between coats.
    who45 said: View Post
    I also use the same upol high build and etch primers available in halfords and auto paint supply shops
  10. Tarchinoko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Hong Kong (residence), United Kingdom (schooling)
    Messages
    305
    Feb 10, 2013, 3:56 AM - Re: Whats a good high build primer? #9

    kurtyboy said: View Post
    Just gave it a few hours between coats.
    I see and its dry enough to sand after a few hours? the stuff I use now is hycote and If i dont leave it for like 6 hours to dry its barely hard enough to be able to sand and if im using anything below like 200 grit itll just dent the paint rather than sand it

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov 2, 2013, 5:09 PM
  2. Good sites for high res SW pics?
    Sluis Van Shipyards, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 5, 2013, 8:08 PM
  3. Blade high-res images? Any good sites?
    Cave_Troll, Replica Props
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2010, 9:11 AM
  4. Whats a good star trek voyager model ?
    darth billy, General Modeling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 23, 2006, 10:51 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12