Whatever happened to the Star Trek bridge?

Dagobah Don

Sr Member
I was admiring all the input on the MR Enterprise model, and apparently, there are a lot of sites out there with info about the models... however....

I was watching TOS on G4TV, and I was wondering what happened to the bridge set and Kirk's chair. Does anyone know?

From what has been written, when the show was cancelled, the set was donated to UCLA's Film and theater department.

When I was down there, I explored their great stagemaking facility, and got chatting to a number of people in different departments. One of them, who was the Vice Chair of Production, was really happy to discuss the history of the bridge set.

He said that it would have been recycled into a set for the students. He also mentioned that if the department had the foreknowledge of what a cult Star Trek would have become, they would have saved it and placed it on display.

I know his would be true, cause for a year solid, I would leave Soundstage One in the facility, and be greeted by a glass matte painting that painted by Syd Mead for Bladerunner. It is one of the paintings that was made for the opening shot of the film.

Before you all get excited and rush down to the campus, it is VERY securely attached to the wall. I know, cause I had wonder how to get it off the wall, and see the reverse of it. This was also donated to the department.

GO BRUINS.

- Skyler101

I remember I went to a convention when I was a kid... one convention, okay.?.... and I remember they said the set was taken on tour or something and ripped apart by crazed drugged out students. My memory may not be perfect on this... I was eleven at the time.

<div class='quotetop'>(Avalon X @ May 18 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1246634[/snapback]</div>
I was admiring all the input on the MR Enterprise model, and apparently, there are a lot of sites out there with info about the models... however....

I was watching TOS on G4TV, and I was wondering what happened to the bridge set and Kirk's chair. Does anyone know?
[/b]

Isn't Kirk's chair in the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle now?

Dave C

That is correct. Paul Allen bought the original TOS chair, and it now resides in Seattle.

SFM-kirkchair.jpg

SFM-kirkchairleftarm.jpg

SFM-kirkchairrtarm.jpg

There are also a couple of button panels from Uhura's station on display.

PIH-bridgepanel1-probSFM.jpg

PIH-bridgepanel2-probSFM.jpg

- k

Some of the original stuff is being acutioned off. Details below.

Copyright 2006 Agence France Presse
All Rights Reserved
Agence France Presse -- English

May 18, 2006 Thursday 8:11 PM GMT

LENGTH: 248 words

HEADLINE: Christie's to mount major 'Star Trek' auction in October

DATELINE: NEW YORK, May 18 2006

BODY:

Captain James Kirk's clinging uniform and Starship Enterprise items will go under the hammer in October in a major auction to mark the 40th anniversary of the beloved television series "Star Trek," Christie's auction house said Thursday.

More than 1,000 lots from the archives of CBS Paramount Television Studios will be put up for sale in New York: costumes, weapons, props, about 60 Starship Enterprise set dressing pieces, and special effects models such as flying enemy warships.

The collection represents the full "Star Trek" science-fiction space saga, from its debut as a television series through 10 feature films, Christie's said.

Among the auction highlights are a replica of Captain Kirk's chair from the TV series' first season, valued between 10,000 and 15,000 dollars, and two bridge consoles of the Enterprise, from the same season, estimated at 6,000 to 8,000 dollars.

The Starfleet uniform worn by Kirk in the 1983 film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" is estimated to fetch between 7,000 and 9,000 dollars, while a mustard-colored Starfleet minidress uniform from the original TV series is tagged at 4,000 to 6,000 dollars.

The three-day auction, set to open on October 5, will be the first official auction of "Star Trek" studio items, Christie's said.

Apparently, the items are going on tour throughout the U.S. and Europe before the auction.

I see the various rumors and legends are being posted here. :lol

Paramount still owns quite a few items, I am pretty sure they still have the Nav and Helm Console.

Not much really left of it since the last time I saw it at the "Trek Exhibit" at the Smithsonian it was in pretty bad shape.

Interesting to see how CBS is trying to get some cash off the dead franchise by cleaning out the closets. ;) :lol

I suspect most of the bridge went in the dumpster, so digging in the appropriate place at the landfill may produce results.

Obviously many things were taken by people who worked on the show or had access to pick through it.
I seriously doubt any other storys.

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ May 19 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]1246910[/snapback]</div>
Obviously many things were taken by people who worked on the show or had access to pick through it.
[/b]
Yep. I was amazed at some of the items already in private collections in the 70's.

The UCLA bridge rumor just will not die. The UCLA bridge was FAN MADE. Bjo Trimble (big LA area fan who was very involved in fandom at the time) has written about helping build that set. It was well made and stood for a good long while. No telling how many thousands of people saw it and assumed it was the real deal and passed on that misinformation.

The TV set was mostly destroyed just like any other hollywood set that is no longer needed. Sets are mostly plywood and two-by-fours. Not much worth saving, really. It's all in the dressing. A few parts were rescued prior to going to the dumpster, like display panels, button panels, Kirk's chair and the helm. All in private hands.

Take a look at these pics. Has anyone ever suggested that the chair at the museum could be a replica? It seems the buttons are not correct on the right side of the chair, and the triangular edge (where the actor's hands rest on the chair) is way too short on the museum chair.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/CaptainsChair.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/35.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/36.jpg[/image]

I think the chair in the museum IS the authentic chair but the rightside control panel (at least) was reconstructed due to damage.

I don't know that first hand but that's my opinion based on having seen the chair at the museum.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ May 19 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]1247030[/snapback]</div>
I think the chair in the museum IS the authentic chair but the rightside control panel (at least) was reconstructed due to damage.

I don't know that first hand but that's my opinion based on having seen the chair at the museum.

- k
[/b]

I guess then it's not uncommon for museums to reconstruct it incorrectly... From these pics BOTH arms are way off in length. The white punch buttons on the right side are supposed to be close to the arm rest, with other buttons on that side of the chair. Whew. I'd feel screwed if I paid the vast sum they must have paid for the chair.

WOW. the UCLA bridge was the Bijo Bridge. I did not know that.

I got to sit on that bridge at the 1976 Equicon. Yes, I'm that old.

I also got to see the original helm and the "idiot" (I use that word correctly) that owned it was about to rip out all the displays and put in "modern" Switches and lights. I think that was in 1981. Fortunately I heard he never got around to do it.

I think the same thing happened to the Captain's Chair before it was "restored".

<div class='quotetop'>(Skyler101 @ May 18 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1246637[/snapback]</div>
I know his would be true, cause for a year solid, I would leave Soundstage One in the facility, and be greeted by a glass matte painting that painted by Syd Mead for Bladerunner. It is one of the paintings that was made for the opening shot of the film.

Before you all get excited and rush down to the campus, it is VERY securely attached to the wall. I know, cause I had wonder how to get it off the wall, and see the reverse of it. This was also donated to the department.

GO BRUINS.

- Skyler101
[/b]

What building is that in? I'm at UCLA now, but I don't know many buildings other than Schoenberg.

<div class='quotetop'>(Avalon X @ May 19 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]1247011[/snapback]</div>
Take a look at these pics. Has anyone ever suggested that the chair at the museum could be a replica? [/b]

There are quite a few that claim the Chair Allen bought is indeed a replica.

Bob Justman signed off on it so it must be the real deal right? ;) :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back