Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

I got my prop in the mail. I'll have to start working on it soon if I'm going to finish on time, so I need to finish some other projects really quick so I have the space and so I don't have a million things going on at once.

I already know that this is going to cost me at least $50 more, because I'm getting a sound chip for it. Oh, and I need to get a decent heat gun so I can take it apart. I'll have to do a killer job on the paint so I don't spend a bunch of money just messing this thing up, but if I'm patient and do enough research and prep first, I should have a really killer gun when I'm finished.

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

As I've said, my beastie is complete so I knocked up a helmet to set it off nicely....

Will save "The Arcane Berkshire Short-Horn" for the competition but meanwhile here's the helmet in all it's illuminated glory! (hope those Venusians are short-sighted!)

helmet.jpg

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! Definately got the Darleck vibe about it. Looks awesome though! :D.

Oh heck ... 15 days to go !!

Oh heck ... 15 days to go !!

You got me worried there so I had to go back and look:

IMPORTANT

We are going to extend the deadline for the competition to 30 August, in order to give more time to the people who are now getting their deliveries from the UK warehouse

Cheers

Tim

We've still got a month to go.

As I've said, my beastie is complete so I knocked up a helmet to set it off nicely....

Will save "The Arcane Berkshire Short-Horn" for the competition but meanwhile here's the helmet in all it's illuminated glory! (hope those Venusians are short-sighted!)

helmet.jpg

This reminds me very much of Minion from Megamind. I've thought of doing a Minion costume. That would be so awesome!

IMPORTANT

We are going to extend the deadline for the competition to 30 August, in order to give more time to the people who are now getting their deliveries from the UK warehouse

Cheers

Tim

Phew...!! Takes the presure off a bit :cool

Had a blinding designerly thought in the wee-small hours the other day...and came up with this design. Now to the nitty-gritty of making it happen
eheh.gif

100_0520.jpg

Had another photo shoot with the young Brahman bull too [my muse]...it just gets better!
ala_yahoo.gif
His number is "38". Obviously, it's meant to be....
The gun is called:

Brahman 38 - BUCKSHOT

buckshot38.jpg

Ohhh!
wavey.gif

Just a wee heads up...The dials are glued on REALLY well. Soak in boiling water to release. The housing of one of mine has cracked :cry
.....brittle :(

Not a hard fix, just annoying :angry

Last edited:

Had another photo shoot with the young Brahman bull too

You know the more I look at that the more it looks like a Brangus than a straight Brahman to me.:unsure

Last edited:

My version - still not quite there yet.

NightBison.jpg

Let the count down begin!

Looks kinda hairy for a ray gun?

101_2435.jpg

mkay, this is what I have done so far. It's simple, but I don't want to change too much. I still gotta put the paint on, add a few more things, and come up with a name but this is a general idea :D.

Also, is this a like a typical therpf contest, can I post this on another site?

Nice, I like the tail mod. Can't wait to see the paint job.

Well, mine is done! The Arcane Berkshire Shorthorn lives! (as far as any weapon powered by the undead can…)

Now then, a few questions…. At the thread’s beginnings we were told an email address to send pictures to and that they should be left, right and three quarter shots with neutral backgrounds. That was it.

I think as the thread has gone on we’ve seen that the Weta guys have uncorked a fantastic can of creative worms. People are really going to town on backstory documents, blueprints, logos etc (if we don’t get someone attaching one to a car roof and calling it a tank, I’ll be bitterly disappointed…) Can these rules be relaxed to enable folk full reign to show off their creativity? Obviously the pieces themselves shouldn’t be digitally enhanced but the associated gubbins only adds to the fun for all of us.

Also how is it going to work? We have an address so presumably finished pictures should not be posted on this thread – will the RPF guys post pictures on a separate thread as they come in or all of them after the end date?. I myself would favour the latter – I know some may say it goes against the spirit of the competition but posting super-duper pictures of weapons the size of aircraft carriers may discourage those that have just added tooth-paste tube tops and their Mum’s nail varnish… I would like to see as many entries as possible (even some idea sketches caused a few guys to bail – shame!)

Tell me if you agree or not – can the competition guys get out some revised rules? Also what format and resolution is best for you?

I’m off to wait for the British summer so I can photograph the beastie…..
Agreed!

helmet.jpg

Dudley, these look amazingly like the helmets from 'Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet'. Did you mean for that? I love it!

I've looked it up and see what you mean! also the Dalek thing seems obvious to me now but both were furthest from my mind when making it - I just saw that my wife had bought some bubble shaped tomato growers from the local garden centre and they seemed the ideal size for a steampunk/50s Sci-Fi helmet - the rear features a breathing tank and gauge that will show nicely in the finished pictures of my entry.

Thanks guys!

You know the more I look at that the more it looks like a Brangus than a straight Brahman to me.:unsure

Actually.... :confused He's about 1/8th Fresian and 7/8ths Brahman. Here's a profile pic. I haven't wanted to get too close to this one. He's a feisty & flighty fellow :wacko Buckshot is only a about 18 months old. So his horns are still forming and he will get a shoulder hump like his larger paddock mate, Magnum. The black bull on our left is an Angus.

38-profile.jpg

Last edited:

Now that's a lot clearer. Cool. That Angus is going to grow up into a big boy soon as well.:thumbsup

Most folks had Angus and Hereford down where I grew up with the occasional Longhorn or Charlotte.

Dad has Longhorns (unusual in New Zealand) and Brahman, and his own breed of Angus. The occasional smattering of Hereford & Jersey too :) and a Friesian dairy.

Carnage!

Unforgiving stuff. Slight prying pressure to pop a glue post and then SNAP! Fortunately, modifications will be extensive. Kind of have to be now, I suppose. :unsure

To use a classic Kiwi expression...BUGGER!

Modification Check-list:

no-nail "stick to anything" bonding glue
polystyrene
dowelling
aluminium tube
knickety-knick knacks and twirly parts :shh
small tubing
pvc pipe
small tubing
Knead-it
wire
assorted tools
raygun in bits
pattern
bodging cap on ...

Time to get busy!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back