Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Hi everyone

We have 260 entries confirmed. Thank you !

However there are still more people wishing to enter who missed the deadline. If you want to enter and you have not yet made a pre-order, could you please send us an e-mail to info@wetanz.co.nz and put your name on our waiting list. Please also advise what country you are from.

We will try and get more unpainted Righteous Bisons produced, however I can not make any promises at this stage

Thanks

Tim

Wow, we are seeing some brilliant stuff coming through !

Vader, Sigma-LS, Okiwan, Indy Magnoli, Contec - we are loving your creativity !

Thanks

Tim

So, I thought I'd post this. Probably damages my chances of winning, because I'm helping other people design faster, but hey, I'm in FIRST. Co-opertition is a word to me.

Also, this is just quick and dirty. It's not entirely accurate. But it's as close as I could get.

So here we go:

5590374703_36fce1354a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41218962@N08/5590374703/

Anybody who wants to is free to use it, edit it, fix it, what have you. Just give credit of the drawing back to myself and the credit for the content to Weta-NZ and Dr. Grordbort's.

Last edited:
We just had to include a video from therpf.com in our latest newsletter just sent out today to our mailing list

Weta Newsletter

If you are not receiving the free newsletters already, you can sign up here :

Inside Weta

Cheers

Tim

PS : Thanks Slukaj, very kind of you to share !

I decided to build a raygun with stuff I had around the house to warm up and get into the spirit of the competition. I submit the following for your enjoyment!

5591687898_cce661fe5d_b.jpg
[/url] Illuminator by TheHyatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

:lol

I love this genre *sigh

Working name for our improved Bison is "Heathen Heifer"
Name is subject to change and no cows will be hurt in the testing of this device :angel

Wow - this is looking like so much fun, can't wait for my RB to arrive.

I may not be able to make videos or post letters to add to the inspiration pool - but I have been involved in the steampunk subculture for some years now as a prop builder, so I could suggest that for genre inspiration you may wish to visit the Brass Goggles forum and view the 'collective thread for all them guns' thread.

There are some amazing scratch built or modified ray guns there.

Otherwise - feel free to visit my blog at Antipodean Steampunk Adventures where I have a few of my scratch built steampunk weapons lurking.

I think materials (or simulated materials) may play a part in this - with the steampunk theme in mind I hope to add wood, brass, leather and even ivory to the modified weapon I produce.

Tally ho chaps.

~ maduncle ~

No sooner had my trusty manservant finished the creation of the vector emblem artwork then I loaded it into my Computational Robotic Fabrication Contraption and created this glorious sign to hang on the outside of the workshop. Proudly declaring allegiance to all that should gaze upon it. It measures nearly 21 inches tall.

CRW_3788.jpg

CRW_3780.jpg

CRW_3792.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about bovine related weapon names and I have come up with

'Silly Cow'

(Which is generally what one would say if they saw someone wielding what I intent to build).

I wonder - does anyone know if the blank 'nude' guns are hollow?

(Back track several posts - oh good they are hollow).

One tip I may offer, I find that when looking for secure methods to build prop ray guns that if I use a length of threaded rod as a 'spine' I can pretty much assemble anything along it and hold it all in place with nuts. At least I may be able to 'skewer' the nude gun on threaded rod to begin additions and other modifications.

And yes - my weapon submission will be called The Silly Cow.

Last edited:
With the clear amount of skill and technology at the disposal of entrants, I too debated whether or not to show off my concepts. I'm sure it will come down to execution. This one is the one I'm building... so here it goes. :D (Some details where disallowed for correspondence)

FYI, for those who don't know, the Droughtmaster is a hardy bread of cattle in Australia. :thumbsup With 'master' in its name how could I go wrong? Oh, and it also describes some yet to be named attributes of this raygun. :love

I'm sure I'll be doing more story on this too, trying to stay in the spirit of the competition.

DroughtmasterXL_001.jpg

Last edited:
Still working on my re-design for the Bison but I think I've come up with a good bovine name for it in the meantime, Malevolent Minotaur.

Roughneckone:cool

@ Master Anubis, nice work there - I like the relocation of the existing trigger to the rear of the original body, works well.

(Must do a sketch this weekend...)

I'm another Shadow and Flame member that's joining the Fun and I'm really enjoying the energy in this contest!

The working title for my entry is "The Guernsey Zephyr". :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back