Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

I'm getting really excited about this! Can't wait to start actually! :D

I've already decided that my customisation will be a bit more feminine... me being a literate woman and all. :p I'm taking inspiration for my design from the Greek myth of Io, who got turned into a cow. Also fitting that Io is the name of one of the planet Jupiter's moons. Going to do a mythological/steampunk twist.

Oh, and as for a bovine name.... The Irascible Oryx. Or The IO for short. ;)

For those of you who may not be previously aware of the sultry assassin "Leaflock", she has a murky history with Dr Grordbort's, most recently witnessed by her home made movie with explicit scenes of the power of aether oscillation. I dare not ask her to post a link to her movie here, without fear of being erased.

We have our first prize winner !

Excellent historical research by the esteemed Pete SSS. Pete, please send me a PM with your mailing address and we will dispatch a courier pigeon with a copy of Dr Grordbort's Contrapulatronic Dingus Directory , the solar system's most up to date catalogue of weapons of mass destruction.

drgdingus01alrg.jpg

Hi All,

Well, I wasn't sure if I was going to participate in the open display of ideas (i always think its kind of nice to have it all as a surprise at the end), but I've figured that with over 200 potential entries the chance of a TRULY unique design is probably quite slim (not that I'm trying to put a downer on peoples creativity).

So as a bit of an experiment for myself I thought I'd show everyone what I plan on making.

Hopefully the outcome of this is that I might, at best, inspire a few people, either to steal an idea, or to make them think 'Crumbs, I really don't want mine to look like that!'

I'm really hoping that as a community, and through showing what we're doing, we can push each other into producing our best work.

Well here goes: I've got two rayguns I intend to build, and will enter the one I like the best when the time comes!!!!

concept one:

wetacomp1001.jpg

concept two:

wetacomp2001.jpg

I guess the worry people might have is that by showing their ideas early they'll be shooting themselves in the foot (remember to put the safety on) when it comes to winning the competition.

I've come to the conclusion that if yours is the best execution of an idea, you'll be in with a good chance, whether or not everyones already seen it.

minifig

Let me be the first to say: WOW, Minifig. I really like the tandem idea--sorta like "The Black Hole" blaster I made back in the day. I get the feeling that this contest will go the way of "bigger is better" with many gunstocks.

Your upper design is good, and I'd suggest tweaking it to follow the curves seen in the Art Nouveau movement of 1895. Dragonflys were popular then, too ( Hint Hint...). Still, very nice!

Through the use of "overthinking", I'm wondering just what the functions of the existing gun are...for example, the fin must act as a heat sink, and those conduits have serious bolts for attachment to the body. The plumbing on the sides needs some retrofitting to handle larger loads under periods of attack. The gun functions through electromagnetism, with a chemical kick? Poor man's Plasma?

My curiousity piques with Lea Flock, or is it Leaf Lock?..and Lord Byron's message must be reconsidered, albeit with an admitted liar behind him, coaching his words??....Pinocchio with mule ears?

One name I'm NOT using.... "L.C. UD-ER". Is the Bovine reference based on a hollow horn (body) of the gun? And....I think we should retain the original Bison logo emblem on all our entries to pay homage to the original source weapon.

-Paul N.

Speaking of the Logo on the fin, Tim, is it possible to get a higher res version of the artwork to use as the basis for some engraving?

Thanks

Dave

minifig... I think you've just inspired me!... to drop out. ;)

Really great designs. Forget about the building, this is going to be fun to watch what others do! Keep it up guys...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

For those of you who may not be previously aware of the sultry assassin "Leaflock", she has a murky history with Dr Grordbort's, most recently witnessed by her home made movie with explicit scenes of the power of aether oscillation. I dare not ask her to post a link to her movie here, without fear of being erased.

Murky history? I am certain I do not know what you are saying! :angel

Do I dare to provide moving-transmission evidence of my 'murky history'? I think I do:

YouTube - Seraphim 9

:)

By the way, loving the names and designs so far!

I don't mean to dominate the conversation with this long post, but I wanted to comment on the creative catharsis of ideas I'm seeing here for a prop weapon with a heavy mythos. I was just introduced to Dr. Grordbort's "suppository off scientific splendour" not even a week ago for the first time, and I've been swept up in this whole genre' as it works in the SteamPunk 'verse. Steampunk (SP) is such a great idea, because it gives freedom to fans to make whatever they wish, within the parameters of the late 1800's and early 1900s. It's the anti-Trek, and anti-commercialized SF genre' that is based on adventure from classic stories and movie serials. As an old guard Trek fan from 1977, SP is liberating, and at every turn, there is something fantastic, and unique. Trek was Trek, but props and costumes were limited to what was on the screen--through "obsessive reproduction". SP is also a reaction to our over-gizmo'd real world of iPads, Smartphones, Readers, etc.. It's a radical return to a time when life was simpler, where art, mythos and science all worked together and the social network was the local ice cream parlor.

Greg Broadmore's work is outstanding. This little catalog that Dark Horse publishes is packed with imagination, and probability--more so for those of us that know the history of that period. I'm into Railroad history of 1890-1900, Pullman Palace cars and locomotives of that era. It was a naive time, but one where technology moving quickly. The general public actually feared the technology of the day, as it produced so many whacky, false contraptions for medical and well-being purposes.

The Righteous Bison is a cool prop, and well-designed. It has balance and just looks cool in your hand. It's a classic Buck Rogers prop on steroids! What you don't understand on the prop, you can make up as you go along. Attention to detail is so good, that by historical design, it looks very "real"-- which is what fans and collectors want. Something that looks like it could have really existed back in 1900, and that it had all the naive, primitive science of the time inside of it.

All of these elements--history, science of the day, and fantasy combined has produced a perfect storm of creativity for all of us today. What those that started this competition may not know, is that it triggered (pun intended) a multi-faceted "problem" for fans, modelers, designers and collectors of how to approach this competition. This is not just adding parts to a blaster, it's thinking in Greg Broadmore's world of how these modifications might "really" work. This has become a whole new game, and it might seem intimidating to some (BTW-don't quit, Indy), with others thinking: "I know what I'LL do...". But the more you get into this project, like an artichoke, the more layers you have to consider as you go along. I don't mean to over analyze this, or make it too academic, but the experience of creating the "what-ifs" of a period over 100 years ago is a very intriguing opportunity!!!

Minifig provided us with two drawings, and suddenly it's a game changer? His ideas are great! But I'd like to think that the collective talent here is just as good, and we'll see more drawings and open ideas. As (ad hoc) designers, we need to push harder, and raise the bar, and get into it. I have every intention of winning this competition--but not without also sharing my design thinking and knowledge of the materials and techniques of 1900. Here's an example: I may paint the nose with a "bluing" effect, like heat-treated pipes on a Harley--from the heat of the front projector. But you need to know if that kind of steel existed in 1900. yes? What kind of structure was needed to hold it all together? Cast Iron? Could it crack under pressure? Probably. How do you get the spark to make it blast? Use an automotive spark plug of the day? That was cutting edge technology of 1900. You get the idea....

What Weta is offering is a chance to not just redesign a prop, but to push their creative envelope that they created--to make something really awesome! Whether you win or not, you've been involved in a design process that includes fact and science of the day, with some really plausible-mystery fantasy; that makes this really, really fun to think about. So, from my perspective, I expect everyone here to get it together, and to push harder and have a grand-old-time coming up with the ideas that will produce some designs that the judges wished they'd thought of first!!

With great encouragement...and competition!!
Paul N.

minifig, thanks for being brave enough to share. I am sure you designs will inspire others (and hopefully inspire others to share their designs as well! I really like the carbine design. Love the lines!

leaflock, loved the video!

Paul, great write up! Can't wait to see and hear about more design ideas!

minifig... I think you've just inspired me!... to drop out. ;)

Yeah, what was the first thing I thought when I saw those sketches too. First two sketches before the contest has started and they're absolutely gorgeous and outside the box? And there's at least 199 more to see??? We're in for a wild ride this summer! :love

@ Indy Magnoli - That was my intention; to slowly whittle away at the competition ;)

With the contest running for such a long time, I'm so looking forward to seeing how everyones designs develop.

One of the things I love about the Grordbort designs is that the rayguns are made by different manufacturers, all with their own distinct design language. Although I've chosen to stay closer to the 'Bison' family, I think the option for some really radical designs (stylistically) are out there.

It's so much more than the traditional Victoriana steampunk (maybe 'AetherPunk' is more appropriate?) but at the same time simpler and more focused. I'm not really into the writing side of the competition but I love immersing myself in the visuals.

I really can't wait to start building. I really want to focus on the quality of my build. I don't know if I'll achieve what I want, but I'll have fun trying!

minifig

Ok, just having some fun warming up in photoshop to get my head around this universe...

I present the Holocene Feradizer. With an enlarged carbonizing chamber and a Feraday Ionization Array, this modified Bison should give you all the extra power you need to get through the toughest Venusian hoards! Now with two firing modes, regular and extra crispy!

Enjoy!

Holocene-Feradizer-sm.jpg

Thank you Weta!

These designs coming through are great! I love the wrist brace on your second sketch minifig, brilliant!

I'll have a root around in my bureau and try to find the next installment of the account of Phineus Alexander Grordbort to share here. It may take a while to re-discover it however. Stand by.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back