Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

I'm in. Got mine ordered as well. This will be my first attempt at doing something like this but I am excited. Now I just need a trip down to the surplus store for some random parts... my wife is going to love that:unsure

Last edited:
Since this competition has been so well supported by members of therpf.com, we will return the favor by awarding random prizes during the duration of the competition for passion, imagination and creativity.

There are no rules or categories for these prizes. Weta will just make them up as we go along, and announce them here on this thread !

So if you want to be eligible for one of these random prizes, you need to post stuff on this thread eg : what you are planning to do, what will be the name of your weapon, work in progress pics, conceptual designs, stories of of the character who will manhandle your weapon in Venus, etc

The more it fits into the universe of Dr Grordbort's, the better.

Cheers

Tim

Hi there, I have a few ideas regarding possible designs but some expand beyond the platform of a pistol. Are there any rules to exclude the use of components/ parts supplied with the nude and adapting them into a rifle (hunting/sniper/ long range shenanniganising)?

I am still weighing up whether or not I can commit as I am midway though my final year university project AND a custom motorcycle build but I find myself extremely curious about this project and can think of no better way to get into model making.

Many thanks

Phoenix

So, I understand that these Righteous Bisons have to stay within the confines of the Dr. Grordbort's universe, but how far out can you go?

I get the impression that the universe is basically a derivitave of steampunk. But there isn't a whole helluva lot in common between Bioshock and Grordborts.

Is Weta going to make the final call on what's in universe and whats out, or can we assume that basically anything steampunk will do?

Hi there, I have a few ideas regarding possible designs but some expand beyond the platform of a pistol. Are there any rules to exclude the use of components/ parts supplied with the nude and adapting them into a rifle (hunting/sniper/ long range shenanniganising)?

I am still weighing up whether or not I can commit as I am midway though my final year university project AND a custom motorcycle build but I find myself extremely curious about this project and can think of no better way to get into model making.

Many thanks

Phoenix

No rules Phoenix, go for it !

Cheers

Tim

So, I understand that these Righteous Bisons have to stay within the confines of the Dr. Grordbort's universe, but how far out can you go?

I get the impression that the universe is basically a derivitave of steampunk. But there isn't a whole helluva lot in common between Bioshock and Grordborts.

Is Weta going to make the final call on what's in universe and whats out, or can we assume that basically anything steampunk will do?

Hi Slukaj

Greg Broadmore actually started designing these rayguns in the early 2000s, well before the steampunk trend came along, so we just see it as his Dr Grordbort's universe. We don't put other labels on it, although it often gets labeled as Steampunk by others.

Take a look at the website (videos, artwork, comics, etc) and you'll see there is a wide range of contraptions which can easily fit in his universe.

Cheers

Tim

Surely though, there must be some kind of restriction on just how far you can go with the modification of the gun.

Shouldn't you still be able to tell that the final product is born from a Bison?
There should be something that says, yes modify to your hearts content, however it must be clear that the bison is a base and can be identified within the final design.

Otherwise, whats the point in starting off with a Bison blank, when i could just scratchbuild?

Surely though, there must be some kind of restriction on just how far you can go with the modification of the gun.

Shouldn't you still be able to tell that the final product is born from a Bison?
There should be something that says, yes modify to your hearts content, however it must be clear that the bison is a base and can be identified within the final design.

Otherwise, whats the point in starting off with a Bison blank, when i could just scratchbuild?

good point. this is a concern to many of us i think because we dont want to build something that the judges will look away from because of a certain mod we may have done.

I would think that the Bison just needs to be visibly 'in there' as the base.

Just squeezed in at the end here, :lol.

Looking forward to working a design out, seems like there is plenty of leeway for a re-design.

Just like to say thanks very much to Weta and the RPF for setting this competition up, you guys rock!

Roughneckone:cool

All these exceedingly specific questions about rules are a bit of a buzz kill. How can their be any surprises or reveals if every interation and modification is brought up for approval in this thread? The freedom of expression in this concept seems pretty well confirmed through the initial contest post and subsequent clarifications.

good point. this is a concern to many of us i think because we dont want to build something that the judges will look away from because of a certain mod we may have done.

Do you really want a riskless competition? Every possible interation of this design and its modification approved beforehand?

"RISK IS OUR BUSINESS."

I get the impression that the Bison is just an..entry ticket..that Can be used but if you want to, you Can scratchbuild.. If it can be torn apart as much as we see fit? But I guess an official call will have to answer this

Joe

March 31st

Dearest Mother,

Time moves at a blue bellied snarl's pace here on Venus. I spend my time moping around the encampment, helping where I may, and yearning for a glimpse of the Moon Mistress.

How I wish we'd purchased a proper ray device before starting out on this adventure! "Borrow one from Uncle Ascott" you said! A miserable piece of rubbish 'that' turned out to be! I sit here perusing a pile of 'parts' that would better suit a gas light fixture than a proper weapon!

I must confess though, I've ordered the Righteous Bison direct from the factory, a truly magnificent piece of devestating delight! I look forward to it's arrival, then on to glory and fame with my brethren! Ahh the mere thought of some seriously destructive action has got me all goose-pimply!

Until my next corespondence,

Your humble son,

Nigel

I shall be naming my creation the "Angry Auroch's" I think.

Im off to Whitby for a steampunk weekend with friends and Im sure the competition will be the talk of the weekend. Time for some brainstorming to get the creative juices flowing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back