Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Chicago
    Aug 9, 2008, 5:44 PM - Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #1

OK, lets make this mask. Any ideas on how to get the mask to keep changing shape? I can think of a few ways, but not a way to make it symmetrical--just one giant blob.
    Aug 9, 2008, 6:34 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #2

Well, the symmetry was caused by the pressure from his face exerting equal force on both sides. So if you can find a way to make it that sensitive, the symmetry would come from the wearer's own face. So it would work unless you're Sloth from The Goonies.
    From
    Scotland U.K.
    Aug 9, 2008, 6:37 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #3

How about a mixture of 2 different coloured oils sandwitched in between polythene sheet?
    From
    Indiana
    Aug 9, 2008, 6:45 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #4

Raffles said: View Post
    How about a mixture of 2 different coloured oils sandwitched in between polythene sheet?
    From what I remember, that's pretty much how they described the material in the original comic. You'd want two different liquids that wouldn't mix, kind of like those "wave" things you see in the techno gift shops.

Also, you'd need to defeat gravity somehow so it wouldn't all pool in the chin.

You might be able to put something together similar to those Halloween masks that have a squeeze bulb that you can pump fake blood to constantly keep it ciruculating to the top, or maybe put a small battery pump under the hat.

Maybe a clear vacuform shell over a dark, tinted shell with just white fluid pumped in between?

-Sarge
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug 9, 2008, 6:49 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #5

SgtFang said: View Post
    From what I remember, that's pretty much how they described the material in the original comic. You'd want two different liquids that wouldn't mix, kind of like those "wave" things you see in the techno gift shops.

Also, you'd need to defeat gravity somehow so it wouldn't all pool in the chin.

You might be able to put something together similar to those Halloween masks that have a squeeze bulb that you can pump fake blood to constantly keep it ciruculating to the top, or maybe put a small battery pump under the hat.

Maybe a clear vacuform shell over a dark, tinted shell with just white fluid pumped in between?

-Sarge
    I like the idea of a constant pump to keep it circulating. You'd still need a clear liquid that you could see the inner shell through, so the white fluid doesn't just flow sloppily all over the place.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 10, 2008, 12:16 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #6

I think the best solution you're going to find, sadly, is one that was mentioned lon another thread. Make 3-4 masks with different blobs, and change them periodically throughout the day.

That or wait til technology catches up to us.
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug 10, 2008, 12:22 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #7

Darth Mule said: View Post
    I think the best solution you're going to find, sadly, is one that was mentioned lon another thread. Make 3-4 masks with different blobs, and change them periodically throughout the day.

That or wait til technology catches up to us.
    Hmm...You could make, like, a heavier cloth mask with mesh screens for eyes that would be the "base" mask. Then you could have several blob designs on a cheesecloth/pantyhose/something see-through material, and just swap those out OVER the base mask - just make sure the blobs cover the mesh screens.
  8. Formerly terryhan
    Aug 10, 2008, 1:27 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #8

A heat sensitive paint (such as Alsa's 'Eclipse') partially sprayed onto a thin, rigid vacuum formed face shell could be used. Beneath it, you could lay some aluminium film in a pre-cut random pattern, and beneath that, several patterns of thin wire. By alternating the current to different wire loops, the heat would create alternating patterns, which would be somewhat symmetrical.
    The tricky part is that Eclipse changes from black (cold) to white (hot), so you'd actually have to have most of the shell permanently heated, and turn off the heat when you wanted it to change. Also, the heat of the environment you were in would likely cause problems, and you'd have to make sure the heat from your face didn't reach the shell (and likewise, the heat from the shell didn't reach your face!).

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/ecl...e_prodinfo.htm

If that isn't 'out there' enough... thinking aloud, 100,000 copies of the October edition of Esquire are being produced with an E-Ink display embedded in the front and inside cover.
    In theory (depending on the size of the each display), you could cannibalise the magazine and find a way to send your own data to the displays. Mount a panel (or two) behind a transparent shell and have them driven by a hidden palmtop / laptop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
  9. THStudio is offline THStudio
    Aug 10, 2008, 5:36 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #9

I'm probably sounding dumb as an amish scientist, but what all does the E-Ink entail? The read I just did of it makes it seem more Rorschach-y than whats described in the comic.
    Latex was probably an un-educated throwto for Moore to base the mask in, when in reality latex wouldnt work for something resembling a clear outer "Shell". I've heard of somewhat clear latex, but it wouldnt last those many years, and Rorschach only had two masks with one always in reserve.

I'm all up for helping collaborate on this thread, actual mask, but feel I dont have the proper how-to. It makes me giddy to think that a RR mask might be actually fesible.

I love learning, so I'll be watching this thread closely in awe.

Tyler
    From
    U.K.
    Aug 10, 2008, 5:47 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #10

It is possible to make animated fabric, you see people walking round night clubs all the time with animations on their clothes.

Dont know how it's done, but the technology is there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36M4y...eature=related

I've also seen this done with simple `non glowing` black and white designs.

Richard.
    Last edited by Vandark; Aug 10, 2008 at 5:58 AM.
    From
    Indiana
    Aug 10, 2008, 6:27 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #11

Vandark said: View Post
    It is possible to make animated fabric, you see people walking round night clubs all the time with animations on their clothes.

Richard.
    That... is freakin'... TRIPPY!

I LIKE IT!

-Sarge
    From
    Australia
    Aug 10, 2008, 9:44 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #12

Richard.
    I think ThinkGeek sell t-shirts like that, I can't remember. That's a good plan though. If we can somehow get the morphing of the mask into a that animation that would be good. Maybe not cheap.. but good.
    From
    Scotland U.K.
    Aug 10, 2008, 8:03 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #13

I actually have a manufacturer contact for this material and the driver. I'll have a word.
  14. Bowelrock is offline Bowelrock
    Aug 10, 2008, 9:27 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #14

Ha this stuff would make an awesome arc reactor shirt:P for any Tony stark costume
  15. RPF Premium Member CSMacLaren's Avatar
    Aug 11, 2008, 11:52 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #15

Richard.

Very nice link, but the first thing that occurs to me is "Where is the off switch?" because someone wearing that to a movie theater is going to be asked by the crowd to turn his shirt off.
    From
    Chicago
    Aug 11, 2008, 2:01 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #16

Do you have a link to that? Also, a person has to be able to see out of the mask. Is that possible?

The simplest/best option may very well be to make 4-5 masks.
    From
    U.K.
    Aug 11, 2008, 5:27 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #17

synasp said: View Post
    Do you have a link to that? Also, a person has to be able to see out of the mask. Is that possible?

The simplest/best option may very well be to make 4-5 masks.
    Sorry, no link, i've been looking all weekend, but I couldn't find anything. To be honest, they probably don't make the B&W non lit versions any more, because it was early technology.

I've been lookin into the e-ink option, which I think would be the best bet, but have you seen how expensive the developers kits are!!!!
    From
    U.K.
    Aug 11, 2008, 6:24 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #18

Going with something similar to what Terryhan posted.

You can buy inks that change colour from clear to black when a certain temparature is reached.

All you would need to do is print different patterns onto the mask using inks that react to different temp changes!

The natural varying heat from your face would reveal different patterns. Maybe a hidden fan or something, could be used to cool your face down at random intervals?????

http://www.electroniccrafts.org/?n=M...rmochromicInks
    Last edited by Vandark; Aug 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM.
    From
    Australia
    Aug 23, 2008, 6:45 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #19

Bump. Any other ideas?
    From
    U.K.
    Aug 23, 2008, 7:20 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #20

Kadajiroth said: View Post
    Bump. Any other ideas?
    I think this is 100% doable, but it would take lots of time, money and effort.

Me personally, have none of the above!
    From
    Australia
    Aug 24, 2008, 5:35 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #21

I think this is 100% doable, but it would take lots of time, money and effort.

Me personally, have none of the above!
    Me neither!

It would be so cool to attend the first available viewing of Watchmen with a Rorschach mask. Let's get the ball rolling again.
    Aug 28, 2008, 7:08 PM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #22

Any progress on this idea?
    Just bumping here.
    From
    Australia
    Dec 22, 2008, 7:11 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #23

I've seen a few quality-looking masks on eBay (quite high prices), but there's also some regular white masks for sale to "DIY" the ink blots in (much cheaper option). How hard would this be to do? I've never dealt with costumes before, but the cheaper option would be cooler since I could say I did it myself, but I don't want to do a shoddy job, hence the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dec 22, 2008, 8:49 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #24

Well, my idea is out. I don't have that kind of money.
    From
    Australia
    Dec 29, 2008, 11:12 AM - Re: Watchmen: Rorschach's mask... #25

Alright, maybe a moving ink blot mask won't be so feasible. How about a non-moving mask? I've been contemplating making my own, but I really don't know how good it will turn out. I've seen tutorials online that say using the feet portion of white and black tights and making a few layers out of it, and painting the ink blotch on the top white layer. Has anyone tried that yet? Would it look decent in-person? I'm trying to put-together a Rorschach costume for the premiere of the movie, and the mask seems to be the most difficult part.