V Visitor Laser Gun Replica Prop - Idealized Version - Development & Improvements

the.rebel.agent

Sr Member
Latest update: 04/17/2013: resin cast:

20130417_090908.jpg

Latest update: 03/04/2013: 3D print result:

20130303_001204.jpg

IMPORTANT:

Latest news about this project here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/v-visitor-laser-gun-replica-prop-idealized-150840/index6.html#post2587610

Got my resin gun from a known vendor, and despite I was well aware of the shape and design of it, I am kinda disappointed. When I was a child, looking at the TV show, I thought the gun was really symmetrical and perfectly done. Real prop looks cranky, twisted and kinda awkward.

This is the series V1 version:

VVisitorLaserGunTheSeriesVersion1A.jpg

So, since I have a lot of experience with the 3d modeling and 3d printing I told my wife and friends that I will re-create an idealized version of the gun, and I did it.

1.jpg

11.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

The gun is completely modular. It means that I will be able to assembly like a LEGO, and create a mold of it to cast it in resin. The dimensions are quite close to the resin model but symmetrical. You can see more photos here from different angles:

https://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/VisitorLaserGunMakingOf?authkey=Gv1sRgCJG7lJK10_63Rg#

I am arranging the parts in a single .stl file to save some money. It is almost 174.41 cm3. Interior is completely hollow. Will take some screen captures from the interior to show you. What do you think? Any feedback will be welcome.

Planning to use this thread to develop the final prop getting your feedback. Here you can read about possible pricing:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/v-visitor-laser-gun-replica-prop-idealized-150727/#post2305033

It is hollow, so we can figure out how to install electronics and a functional trigger:

1.png

0.png

Last edited:
Liking this a lot.
Any electronics gurus out there can get the crystal chamber (clear rod) light up she the trigger is pulled? One of my favourite moments in V - The Final Battle, when Martin is using his pistol in the Mothership bay. Lights up and everything! :)

-Skyler101

All hero guns light up. You can see here the button that triggered that light and the little bulb at the base of the hollow tube.

A.jpg

Someone mentioned Arduino, and I read about it. They have a small one, called Nano, that will do the work like a charm.:love

Finished the 1st prototype of the working trigger. Altered the grip and trigger from the original model to add guides and more material in order to create a fully functional trigger with a 10mm run. The trigger back cylinder is intended to put a spring.

1.png

0.png

2.png

3.png

This way, the grip will be have to in 3 parts, making a little bit more complicated to cast. Parts are still 3D printable. What do you think?:$

Here are some quick pics of the electronics going on in the blaster I have:

Hope these help, I'll try take some more pics if I can work out how it comes apart.. :lol

Oh, the tubing at the nozzle end lights up too.. But it's a normal light, not blue..

Thanks dude, that will help. Will do some magic moves and present the way we can create the molds and parts. I am learning about Arduino and planning to buy a UNO board to do some test in the meantime the 3d parts are printed and shipped to Argentina.

PS: Hope you did not break up your prop in order to open it.

No, not yet anyway.. :lol Waiting til son goes to bed to play around.. The electronics base is accessed through the top of the blaster.. You can see the 3 screws here:

Going to see what happens when I remove the other screws around.. There's wires ( Black and white ) going into the blaster I didn't notice before:

Okay, had a looksee and the main screws around the blaster are just thermal plastic, not screws at all.. :lol It's been made in two halves and wiring done, then fixed together and cleaned up..

My first plan was to create a modular gun to print it and one mold to cast it. Due the feedback is It very clear that everybody wants an electronic gun with lights & sound (If possible). With that in mind, I modified my design without compromise the look of the gun. These are so far the parts I believe will require a separate mold.

0.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

Just for reference:

Barrel in blue.
Barrel Support & Bridge in green.
Grip in mustard.
Grip Top Box in bordeaux.
Trigger in orange.
Trigger Cover in violet.
Grip Top Box Cover in emerald.
Grip Cover in dark orange.

This is the only way I can do it fully functional and ready to install electronics. The way I split the parts will allow me or you to assembly it without any problems. I mean, to install the working trigger and any electronic device inside it. Bolts will be installed once the parts were 3d printed. What do you think? Am I missing something?

This looks great! Far better than the Resin props out there, heck it is probably better than the "hero" props they used for the show. Definitely worth picking up when/if you do a run.

Given we will need space to fit almost 2 circuit boards, a speaker, and a battery back I modified the ribbed grip part to make attachable and removable with screws.

This is the space available to install everything:

0.png

I do believe, that will be that way: Battery pack and speaker at the grip handle, and the circuit boards at the top box. Since battery pack will need to be re-charged, you will be able to remove the grip and do it. Top part could be glued since electronics won't change once installed.

1.png

Have to figure out how to do a speaker outlet without modify the look of the grip. Maybe a few micro holes at the base. Don't know. Feedback will be welcome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back