Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    UK
    Jul 5, 2007, 6:46 PM - US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #1

What happens in the UK eventually finds its way over to the States. Or something...

SECTION 1. BAN ON REALISTIC-LOOKING TOY HANDGUNS.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission shall promulgate a rule in accordance with section 9 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2058) to declare as a banned hazardous product under section 8 any toy which in size, shape, or overall appearance resembles a real handgun.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

UKers, see also: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24445

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Eagle; Jul 5, 2007 at 6:50 PM.
  2. racprops is offline racprops
    Jul 5, 2007, 7:20 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #2

Well they can have my toy guns the same way they can have my real guns, from my cold dead fingers...

Or better yet, unloaded...

By firing them...

Rich
    From
    CA, USA
    Jul 5, 2007, 8:18 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #3

Sad thing about it is that after firing the toy gun you won't have done any damage but yeah you will probably be dead.

(Not that this isn't serious--I wonder if the current trend toward statism is ever going to end. Note that the argument stopped being over whether to grow the state long ago, now it's just over what to do next...)
    Jul 5, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #4

Eagle said: View Post
    What happens in the UK eventually finds its way over to the States. Or something...
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

UKers, see also: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24445

Your thoughts?
    Notice tho', that this piece of silliness doesn't even have a co-sponsor.
    This kind of legislation doesn't have any chance until it is hidden on some other bill. And even there, the person pushing the real bill that a toy gun ban may get attached to, may not allow it for fear it would jeapordize passage of the bill it was piggybacked to. There are already industry standards for this stuff; colored toy guns and clear airsoft weapons.

Not that it can't happen, but America's "gun culture" means that knee-quaking over toy guns is mostly done by those so "civilized" they are out of touch with harsh reality.

Mike
    From
    Western Maryland
    Jul 5, 2007, 8:47 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #5

This has been happening for years. Remember the good old days when you could buy a green m-16. Now the colors have to be bright so there's no way it can be mistaken for the real thing.
  6. racprops is offline racprops
    Jul 5, 2007, 8:54 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #6

[COLOR="Red"][FONT=Calibri]Gun Control: Hitting what you aim at.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Feminine Protection: AN S&W 38[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Knowing which is a real gun and which is a toy.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Knowing which to play with and which to defend yourself with.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Knowing how many shots you have done and how many are left.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Knowing where your A) reloads are or B) your backup gun is.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=red]Rich[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by racprops; Jul 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Typos
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Jul 5, 2007, 9:13 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #7

"or overall appearance resembles a real handgun."

WTF writes these ambiguous Laws????? You could paint yer hand black and it would look like a gun. All a person has to do is hold up their hand with absolutely nothing in it, and peeps would think there was a gun in your hand.

Overal appearance? Resembles??? Comon, it either looks absolutely like a real gun, or it is not. Sci fi weaps shouldn`t even come into the same category. A prop would have to look like absolutely real weaps for their law to hold any water.

A Star Trek Phaser for example does not/should not fall under their criteria. The way they have it worded, they can do pretty well anything they want, just arbitrarilly decide that your totally resin and obviously non firing props is a threat to HomeLand security.

I remember shipping my carve of my AVP accurate large calibre shoulder cannon from Canada, to my good friend in Washington to mold/cast for me. This cannon was the Master, and it was made out of InterCell. A loose cell plastic.

Homeland Security decided they had to hold my cannon for a week. Even tho it was obviously plastic. Obviously futuristic looking. Obviously a non firing toy prop..... and described as such by me in the description.... they wasted tax payers money, and my time, and caused grief for my mold/cast buddy to boot.

The kicker is..... Airsoft products like Marui are HUGE in the U.S.. REAL weapons as well. Imho, if the U.S. is gonna ban replicas, they maybe should start with the ban of all REAL weapons 1st????? A ban on real weaps would actually be logical. Afterall, how many peeps are killed by resin props in the U.S. every year?
    Jul 5, 2007, 9:56 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #8

How about spending the money on a public service announcement that it is not a good Idea to wave around anything that could look like a real gun outside, because you might get shot DEAD. No need to enforce any law basically made to protect the law enforcement from being sued. That is all it is. Maybe they should just pass one basic common sense law, that if you sue for something that is the result of of the lack of common sense, you go to jail, or at least got what you deserved.
    From
    York, PA U.S.
    Jul 5, 2007, 10:12 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #9

Stock up on toy guns now, just in case. Or, just cast real ones in silicone & make your own with resin!! Just don't wave it around in public, otherwise you deserve what you get.
  10. RPF Premium Member BactaReality's Avatar
    Jul 5, 2007, 10:12 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #10

Would'nt even be an issue if the U.S. did'nt have trigger happy cops.
    Jul 5, 2007, 10:20 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #11

So: fake guns illegal... real guns legal. Solution: use carry permit, modify real guns to look like props.

From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Jul 5, 2007, 10:22 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #12

Part of the problem is that the criminals are kids now, and seem to get younger every year. The cops don't know if a 10 year old is packing a Glock or a squirt gun painted black that looks like a glock.

So, obviously they should be banning spray paint.

A ban on toy guns isn't going to stop cops from shooting the wrong people though. How many have they shot dead for holding combs, wallets, cell phones, and flashlights?
    Jul 5, 2007, 10:55 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #13

This is so completely stupid.
    Jul 5, 2007, 11:18 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #14

How about finding the person/persons that killed my friend Chris on Fathers Day and are destroying my city!

Pat
  15. RPF Premium Member TridCloudwalker's Avatar
    From
    York, PA - USA
    Jul 5, 2007, 11:35 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #15

Noeland said: View Post
    How many have they shot dead for holding combs, wallets, cell phones, and flashlights?
    And a pear. Don't forget the pear that "looked like a hand grenade" someone was shot and killed over.
    Jul 5, 2007, 11:37 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #16

patsmear said: View Post
    How about finding the person/persons that killed my friend Chris on Fathers Day and are destroying my city!

Pat
    What? Wow, sorry to hear.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Jul 5, 2007, 11:47 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #17

What's that Blade quote about "Some motherf****rs are always trying to ice-skate uphill."
    Jul 6, 2007, 3:38 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #18

Now the colors have to be bright so there's no way it can be mistaken for the real thing.
    Really? Designer finishes on real guns are getting more and more popular now that there are colored finishes that actually hold up...

These laws are just plain stupid at the core...
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jul 6, 2007, 4:06 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #19

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]
    OK, now THAT is a problem. Make real guns look like toy guns? that puts even more pressure on the police to make the right decision on whether to shoot or not, the scenarios are too numerous to list. If there were a law to be passed, it should be one to NOT alter a real firearms appearance.

Just my
    [/FONT]2 cents

[/FONT]Cheers,

Kraig
    From
    Texas
    Jul 6, 2007, 7:44 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #20

Toy guns don't kill, politicians do!

Guess I have to take up a new hobby and not carve bars of soap to look like hand guns, they gonna take away my shoe polish now.
    From
    Texas
    Jul 6, 2007, 8:11 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #21

There is no way that the US will go the way of the UK in the ban of toy guns. We as Americans have always had the ability to to own real guns and I believe will always be able to do so. It is just part of being an American. As far as blaming the "trigger happy cops" put your self in there shoes. What would you do if some one pointed a gun at you? Ask if it is real? Criminals have painted the tips of real guns orange in an attempt to fool the officers that it is a fake gun. Then you have people painting them in toy gun fashion. If some one points a gun at you and you are a police officer you better shoot or you are not going home!

Most gun fights last 3 seconds and take place within 10 ft, then factor in tunnel vision and adrenaline. Take the threat serious until you find otherwise.
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Jul 6, 2007, 10:16 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #22

If we ban toy guns only the criminals will have toy guns
    From
    Scotland U.K.
    Jul 6, 2007, 11:11 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #23

There's already too many laws to prtect dumbasses. Just tell everyone that if you wave a gun around outdoors without a valid reason you get your ass shot. End of story.
    Jul 6, 2007, 11:47 AM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #24

In England since there are so few guns the fake ones are probably less of a problem, because the chances of it being real are less. In the US their is a greater chance of anything being real and police usually don't have time to second guess. You need to teach your Kids that when a cop yells "freeze...Drop it" you do what they say. Not point it at him saying "but it ain't real".
    From
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jul 6, 2007, 4:04 PM - Re: US to ban replica/toy firearms?... #25

F--K 'EM!

I mean COME ON! No matter what the hell they ban, those who are willing to go to extremes to commit crime will ALWAYS find something to kill with. (I.E. Baseball bats, chairs, pens/pencils, silverware, wire, glass/plastic shards, hammers, nails, saws, drills, darts, cabinet chemicals, and if it came down to it, teeth, hands, and feet. Does that mean we should ban these too? What a bunch of c---s---ers) See? Those b----rds will fail horribly in their pursuit to "protect" people when in fact they're slowly killing us one by one by not going after the criminal but instead going after the inanimate objects that are merely the tools they use to kill us. Sure a ban will inconvenience the bad guy, but it sure as hell wont stop his intentions, and it will be our downfall as a good, honest, group of responsible citizens if we cant protect ourselves nor have fun collecting and, occasionally, safely shooting these things in our spare time. Such a waste people, a BIG one. I agree, a public service announcement would be a much better way to go. Educating the people is better than snatching their stuff away right under their noses anyday.