Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Mar 18, 2012, 6:08 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #51

Leatherworker, I think the buckle you've described as the most recent incarnation (thinner, etc.) is probably going to be the best bet. Out of all the ones I've seen, your last one pictured looks AMAZING. So if this newer one is even thinner and better, you might have the perfect UC2 buckle!

Since the game has been out for years, I think it would be extremely unlikely that any new info, pics, behind the scenes, or anything new pertaining to the game would come to light.

All in all, with your attention to detail and perfection, I'm sure everyone is going to be over the moon when you've completed this new buckle. I know I'm waiting with bated breath!
    From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Mar 19, 2012, 1:38 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #52

Metal Man Jake: custom buckle for Drake costume

I like the look of this one.

I doubt Nate would be wearing a solid gold belt buckle. If the guy could afford that he wouldn't be out treasure hunting to begin with.

You really don't want to have a heavy belt buckle either, thinner is better. I have both the Uncharted 1 buckle and Uncharted 3 and both seem to be the perfect weight and thickness.

I've been playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss and he's got a different buckle in this game too but I can't make out what it looks like.
  3. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Mar 19, 2012, 4:57 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #53

Leatherworker, after hours of trying, I just can't get a high-res screenshot of the belt buckle. The ones posted in this thread already look as good as what I could do. Sorry.

Pitfall, I was really trying to research the GA buckle, and it looks to me like it could be a stainless steel/silver buckle that features a hand with fingers outstretched. Here's a BIG pic of the buckle.

http://seriousless.com/news/wp-conte...en_Abyss_2.jpg
    From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Mar 19, 2012, 9:28 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #54

TrentPraeger said: View Post
    Leatherworker, after hours of trying, I just can't get a high-res screenshot of the belt buckle. The ones posted in this thread already look as good as what I could do. Sorry.

Pitfall, I was really trying to research the GA buckle, and it looks to me like it could be a stainless steel/silver buckle that features a hand with fingers outstretched. Here's a BIG pic of the buckle.

http://seriousless.com/news/wp-conte...en_Abyss_2.jpg
    Boy, the more I look at that buckle the more I think it looks like the Uncharted 2 buckle. That "hand and fingers" might very well be the "Rising Sun" symbol on the Uncharted 2 buckle.

I was playing the game last night and I couldn't get a good look at it.
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Mar 19, 2012, 10:08 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #55

Pitfall Harry said: View Post
    Boy, the more I look at that buckle the more I think it looks like the Uncharted 2 buckle. That "hand and fingers" might very well be the "Rising Sun" symbol on the Uncharted 2 buckle.

I was playing the game last night and I couldn't get a good look at it.
    Could very well be the one from 2. If so, wonder why Bend Studios went with it instead of the one from UDF.
    From
    Smørumnedre, Kobenhavn, Denmark, Denmark
    Mar 20, 2012, 5:49 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #56

This is the best I could find: All sizes | Classic Skins Pack #3 - Nathan Drake (Nepal) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That one from Metal Man Jake's blog is the best, most detailed I've seen so far.
    From
    Germany
    Mar 20, 2012, 3:45 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #57

Great pictures and research! I now bought a ps vita to be able to play Golden Abyss too - the holster is for sure on my list...

Without access to the original character design, it seems we will have to live with some uncertainess with the engravings. I started with the modelling: I thinned the buckle significantly and removed my stupid "podest". I took the opportunity to rework the front in terms of symmetry and detailing. As suggested by synasp for the uncharted watch I will add an NDI Logo at the back side - it will be a lot of extra work but I think its worth the effort...

Don't be scared: Everything is still pretty rough. The buckle will hold belts up to 4 cm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Formation_buckle_1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	87998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Formation_buckle_2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	87999  
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Mar 20, 2012, 4:34 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #58

Hi, a few days ago I did some research because I was modelling an "Uncharted" buckle for Shapeways with a 3D software. I'm pretty sure the original buckle is based on this design...

... Even the number of the dots on the border is the same.

I hope this is useful.

Michael
    From
    Germany
    Mar 20, 2012, 4:55 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #59

Dynamike said: View Post
    Hi, a few days ago I did some research because I was modelling an "Uncharted" buckle for Shapeways with a 3D software. I'm pretty sure the original buckle is based on this design...

... Even the number of the dots on the border is the same.

I hope this is useful.

Michael
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

You found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I compared it with the best picture and the engravings are clearly the same!!!!!!!!!!! No doubts possible!!!!

This information is worth gold!!!

Will change my engraving design instantly. Also the shape of the buckle will be adopted...

THANKS A LOT for this info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best
    From
    Germany
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:19 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #60

The buckle is available at different places! Its a "coin" buckle and can be opened with two screws.

I think it makes no sense to remodel this buckle!! I will model only the "coin" with sun which can be then inserted...

Another piece of work to the bin. Well at least one can not be closer than the original...
    From
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:28 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #61

AWESOME!! You've done it Michael! Fantastic! Many Many thanks!!

Leatherworker, will you make enough suncoins to sell?
    From
    Germany
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:38 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #62

That should be no problem. Such small pieces are not as difficult as a massive buckle. I ordered some buckles and think that they are made for 3,9 cm coins. That one have to check carefully to guaranty they fit. They can be finished to gold, brass, silver - as one prefers...
    From
    Mar 20, 2012, 6:42 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #63

Very cool! Looking forward to it. Wow, finally the mystery was cracked!!! Too bad you did all that work for nothing though, I still think your design looks great!
    From
    The Netherlands
    Mar 20, 2012, 7:02 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #64

Whoa! That buckle mystery was tougher to crack than any puzzle in the games. Thanks, Michael! You did it!

Leatherworker, I agree with Kredepops. It's a shame to see all your hard work for nothing.
    Having said that, will you make these available as complete sets or just the rising sun coins?
    From
    Germany
    Mar 20, 2012, 7:19 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #65

I wouldn't say the work was for nothing. Was a lot of fun trying to be as close as possible - and apart from the engravings, I was pretty close. Had such experiences before with many props I did - every time when a better close-up picture or screen shot appeared.

I will do some research on these buckles. One have to be careful. There are many similar ones with more pins at the border. Will also check wether they are available in gold...
    From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Mar 20, 2012, 7:38 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #66

Can anyone explain to me what a "coin buckle" is?

So, all you really have to do is buy a buckle like this and insert the "Rising Sun" design into it?
    From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Mar 20, 2012, 7:45 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #67

Ah, found one for $20.00. I guess now all I need to do is to get the "Rising Sun" for it.
    From
    Miami
    Mar 20, 2012, 10:02 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #68

Wow, great find! And great custom work by leatherworker!
    I suppose a 39mm shapeways rising sun coin should be pretty affordable and easy.
    Count me in whenever you get the coin online!
    From
    Miami
    Mar 20, 2012, 10:04 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #69

Pitfall Harry said: View Post
    Can anyone explain to me what a "coin buckle" is?

So, all you really have to do is buy a buckle like this and insert the "Rising Sun" design into it?
    Basically it's a buckle that you can insert a 39mm coin into and switch it out for any coin you want.
    I Saw several online with Marine Corp coins, old Aztec coins etc.
  20. Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 PM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #70

AMAZING! Michael, you are THE MAN!!! First post, and you crack this case!? NICE WORK!!!

As soon as the coins go on sale (w/ or w/out buckle), count me IN!!
    From
    Germany
    Mar 21, 2012, 3:29 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #71

Hmmm...

I think a little question is still open. In the picture from Michael there is a ring of spheres around the bezel. I attached a picture of a very similar buckle with an even gold plated bezel. I tried hard to see wether in game there are some indications what would be closer. Whats your opinion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeltBuckleMarines.jpg 
Views:	1455 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	88052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drake buckle.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	88053  
    From
    Germany
    Mar 21, 2012, 3:50 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #72

Hmmm again....

when I compared the two images closer, I would say that naughty dog has used ecactly this image as a reference. The shadows and highlights etc. are all the same. Seems unlikely to happen by accident...

Wether they ask for permission?
  23. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Mar 21, 2012, 5:40 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #73

Great that I could help. Changing the coin will be a good way to create this belt.
    I made my own buckle via Shapeways but it will be more expensive. Anyway, I guess it will be cool too, because every part of the buckle will have the same material. I'll get mine in "antique bronze glossy" in two weeks. I can post a picture if I have my hands on it.
    Michael
    Last edited by Dynamike; Mar 21, 2012 at 5:48 AM.
    From
    Miami
    Mar 21, 2012, 9:27 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #74

I have a question- surrounding the coin slot there's a series of little spheres...these are the only versions ive seen online.
    however, the one in the game doesn't have those spheres surrounding the rising sun.

Are these spheres removable or is it a different buckle altogether?
    From
    Mar 21, 2012, 9:37 AM - Re: Uncharted 2 belt buckle #75

I actually think they are there. The pictures are just so low-res that it's impossible to see. If you look closely at the buckle Leatherworker poster above, you can almost make out small irregularities around the coin slot. I think those are the bumps. It could of course also be .jpg compression artifacts haha.