Turning the pegasus Galaxy quest vox kit into a hero prop

stapleton13

I got my pegasus Galaxy quest kit, and wanted to share with you the steps I took to create a hero Vox using this kit.

I got a blue pocket plasma display, and began by taking a diamond dremel bit, and carefully removing the edge of the disk. This takes a lot of time, and care. Also you must make sure to wear a mask, because you do not want to breath in glass dust. After I got close I used 180 wet sand paper, and continued to remove glass from the edge until it fit into the vox.
dsc02211t.jpg

I cut out the hole for the display, and sanded down the lip as short as possible so the display would have as much room as possible. I then glued the 2 body halves together. I then took a razor blade, and removed the back at the seam between the midplate, and the back.
dsc02198h.jpg

dsc02199f.jpg

Next I glued extra styrene to the midplate on the body. I also glued and shaped more styrene in the back panel to help create more room inside the model when assembled. I added enough so that when the plasma display is installed. The nipple on the display will just barely protrude through the large hole I drilled in the back.

I also added pieces of styrene inside so that a screw hole could be drilled in the back, and a piece for the screw to go into on the body.
dsc02201h.jpg

dsc02202k.jpg

I also added styrene just under the hinge to match up with the back when installed.
dsc02205l.jpg

I then took my dremel, and cut a slot , and glued a piece of styrene to the back that matches the slot.
dsc02208be.jpg

dsc02209w.jpg

I then smoothed the parts, and filled seams with puddy, and primed the parts. On my model I also cut holes in both the hinge, and body so that a magnet could be glued into both halves after painting to hold door shut, because I chose not to use the spring catch in the kit.
dsc02221n.jpg

Then I painted the parts, and glued in the disk.
dsc02235v.jpg

All I need to do is get a ipod shuffle battery, and I will complete this tutorial with the electronics to make the disk work when I get it in. Stay tuned. :)

I hope this helps get you started.

Myron

Here is a couple of pictures showing the pegasus model by my hero scratch build.
dsc02242k.jpg

dsc02248x.jpg

Great tutorial! Thank you. I hope you were able to test the disc before sealing everything up. It'd be a shame to find out when the battery arrives that you have a faulty one or damaged it while grinding it down.

Great tutorial! Thank you. I hope you were able to test the disc before sealing everything up. It'd be a shame to find out when the battery arrives that you have a faulty one or damaged it while grinding it down.

I did test the disk, and it isn't sealed in. The back is removable.

Wow!

I got a plasma thingy at Spencer gift store for $20 about a year ago, they are on line too, to check.

Where can I get a kit for this? price?

Love It
Tom

Just finished my VOX, going to get the Voodoo kit for the phaser and start on that one next. :) The I have the box clip from the plasma disc sticking out the back a bit. I rather have the electronics along with the hero look front wise view than making it totally accurate front to back.

6596539.jpeg

6653321.jpeg

I bought the prepainted Protector. They did a great job with it.

Just finished my VOX, going to get the Voodoo kit for the phaser and start on that one next. :) The I have the box clip from the plasma disc sticking out the back a bit. I rather have the electronics along with the hero look front wise view than making it totally accurate front to back.

6596539.jpeg

6653321.jpeg

I bought the prepainted Protector. They did a great job with it.
Looks good. You can also drill a hole in the belt clip to protect the disk sticking out. I had thought of doing that instead of making the whole thing deeper.

Myron, Did you ever get to finish this one? I'm wanting to do the plasma disk for this kit.

Edit: :confused Why was I thinking Myron?!?!? Sorry stapleton13 :confused

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back