Trying to find prop photos from The Wrath of Khan...

ArtistTheGeek

Hi guys, I've been searching through this forum... and google, and everywhere else... for pics of the props for TWOK. I've managed to find some phaser pics easy enough, but I can't find any of the box comm, the wrist comm, and the tricorder.

Am i right in thinking that the tricorder from this film was a big ugly black thing that was never used again? Does anybody have any pics of the props from this film? Or could point me in the direction of any?

I thought this forum would be the place to go (I usually find everything else here!!) but for some reason I've just had trouble finding the props from this film. :unsure

Thanks in advance for any pics/links you can point in my direction! :thumbsup

Darren

I seem to recall (although I may be wrong) that the tricorder was a rental from Modern Props. There were some photos of it posted many years ago here on the RPF and possibly on ASAP. I may have some of the pics saved at home and will try to find them when I get off from work.

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Darren,

Hope this helps as I did a search for you myself..
I beleive the one on the left is from the TWOK as it's stated here..

Replicas of communicator props:
(L) from The Wrath of Khan. The lights remain active only when a button in back is pressed. The switches in front do not turn.
(R) from The Search for Spock. When the button at back is clicked on, the small red and green LEDs continue to flash alternately.

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/star-trek-celebrates-42nd-anniversary

1348524685_db995e509a_b.jpg

Yes, as was the communicator. Richard Coyle had made (what later was used as) the tricorder when he worked there, IIRC.

That’s what I love about this board, you learn something new every day.

Here are some pics of the tricorder. Please note that these are not my pics. These were saved from this board and others over the last couple of years. If these pics belong to anyone and they want them removed please let me know.

ST2-Saaviktric-strap.jpg

wrathtri.jpg

Star-Trek-2-Wrath-of-Khan-Tricorder.jpg

tric4.jpg

tric2.jpg

tric5.jpg

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys... thats brilliant!!! :)

so the tricorder (and communicator?) were made for other films, and rented from a prop house for this film? wow.

TWOK is without a doubt my favorite Trek film, and I'm not knocking Rich Coyle here, but I guess the Enterprise Refit cost Starfleet too much dough and they had to fill it with clunky huge comms and tricorders that were twice the size and half the cool of the TOS stuff. They just don't seem to fit in the continuity of the series. TOS....nice sleek communicator, TWOK...huge metal 1950's looking comm and a tricorder that needs a tripod, STIIII....nice sleek communicator, even sleeker phaser etc.

Last edited:
These aren't screen caps but thought they might help anyway. I can post pics of the props individually if that would help.

The phaser is an Ed Miarecki, not exactly "correct" for the movie one.

STIICollection.jpg

STIICollection2.jpg

Man! I always see the tricorder looking more like a motion tracker!
And what's the deal on that wrist comm? I've never seen a good up close pic of one. Is that accurate?

I have a stand for each of my "sets". They help save room in my cabinets, and look cool too. :)

The comm is very accurate, except for the wrist band. That is just a piece of leather with velcro on it. I couldn't find the real deal. The body is very accurate though, cast off of an original.

jhusel

I have a stand for each of my "sets". They help save room in my cabinets, and look cool too. :)

The comm is very accurate, except for the wrist band. That is just a piece of leather with velcro on it. I couldn't find the real deal. The body is very accurate though, cast off of an original.

jhusel

I have a full metal shop here at work...any chance I could get dimensions on the location of the bends etc? :love

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back