Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member propsculptor's Avatar
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 5, 2010, 1:14 AM - Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #1

I have a Star Trek Assault Phaser and I was talking with a buddy of mine and we weren't sure on the Paint scheme...anyone know for sure?

I think it's Flat Black with the handle Grip color being Gloss coated,
    my buddy thinks it's actually a Metallic...
  2. SD Studios is offline SD Studios
    Jan 5, 2010, 8:28 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #2

I examined two original props at HMS back in 2003.

The original was matt black, oversprayed with printers' "opaquing fluid" that gave it a VERY subtle, kind-of-metallic-but-not-really sheen.

It would NEVER be picked up on camera, so I have no idea why they bothered to apply the overspray.

If you use black automotive primer and then lightly buff it (or use Krylon semi-gloss black) either will get you close to the color.

The grip was not a different shade on the two film props (that *I* saw...there could be others...) The Ed Mirecki replicas are all gunmetal color and have the grip painted a different color, so that is where that came from...the original filming props were NOT gunmetal.
    From
    Austria
    Jan 5, 2010, 3:26 PM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #3

Here's a pic of mine, an original made by Ed Miarecki for Star Trek VI:

Josef
    From
    Cleveland, OH
    Jan 5, 2010, 7:49 PM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #4

Good information. I have one of these on the bench as well. Here's a question I've been wondering about. Was the butt of the grip of the screen used props painted red as it is on these in the photo?

From
    Austria
    Jan 6, 2010, 2:07 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #5

DJP said: View Post
    Good information. I have one of these on the bench as well. Here's a question I've been wondering about. Was the butt of the grip of the screen used props painted red as it is on these in the photo?
    The Assault Phasers made by Greg Jein for Star Trek V had metal plates with engraved logo/number, the Phasers made by Ed Miarecki for Star Trek VI had stickers that were designed to like the metal plates applied to them. Besides the material the most notable difference is the color of the logo/number: Star Trek V - gold, Star Trek VI - white.

Josef
    From
    Cleveland, OH
    Jan 6, 2010, 6:38 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #6

Ok.. So I'll take that to mean it should not be red.
    From
    Austria
    Jan 6, 2010, 6:58 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #7

DJP said: View Post
    Ok.. So I'll take that to mean it should not be red.
    If you are asking if the butt of the handle was black, yes. The red plate was a piece that was attached seperately.

Josef
    From
    Cleveland, OH
    Jan 6, 2010, 10:24 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #8

Oh ok.. Now I understand what you wee saying.. Thanks.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jan 10, 2010, 5:37 PM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #9

jp1701 said: View Post
    The Assault Phasers made by Greg Jein for Star Trek V had metal plates with engraved logo/number, the Phasers made by Ed Miarecki for Star Trek VI had stickers that were designed to like the metal plates applied to them. Besides the material the most notable difference is the color of the logo/number: Star Trek V - gold, Star Trek VI - white.

Josef
    So when were the ones with the black engraving made? Furthermore, why would Phasers with gold engraving that say "Excelsior" on them have been made for ST V when that ship wasn't even in that film, but was in ST VI?

I don't know personally know the answers, but I don't believe that information to be correct. What is it's source?
    From
    Austria
    Jan 12, 2010, 1:44 AM - Re: Trek Assault Phaser Paint scheme? #10

Stormleader said: View Post
    So when were the ones with the black engraving made? Furthermore, why would Phasers with gold engraving that say "Excelsior" on them have been made for ST V when that ship wasn't even in that film, but was in ST VI?

I don't know personally know the answers, but I don't believe that information to be correct. What is it's source?
    Very good questions, honestly I have no idea and I have never noticed that there was an Excelsior version. The black engraving could be a result of the lighting with which the above picture was taken, but of course it could be really black too. All the info I've posted I got directly from Ed Miarecki. After I bought a screenused Assault Phaser from him I sent him several mails with questions, which were generously answered by him. Alec Peters did a research on his blog about the Assault Phaser, where he was also using photos of my Phasers and info I gave to him. Also he contacted Ed Miarecki directly who gave him a lot of info.

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/...er-part-1.html

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/...er-part-2.html

http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/...part-3-ed.html

Josef