So, me and Jevaho went to the movie theatre some time ago to see Total Recall. There was Jessica Biel, Kate Beckingsale and ... ehm... euh ... lemme think... Anyways, there were also some kickass guns which we liked. The idea started rolling to build one of them guns.
The first one that jumped was the modified Chiappa Rhino 50DS. This proved to be a too big a challenge for now. The other one that came to mind was the 'Jessica gun' which was basically a Beretta 90two with a custom compensator. After some research it turned out Umarex had one of these in a 4,5mm steel bb version. The idea to have a shooting Total Recall gun proved too much fun and so the Total Recall Beretta 90two gun prop came to life.
First point of business was to get a Umarex Beretta 90two 4,5mm steel bb gun which was easy enough. After that is was a matter of studying the print screens from the trailer and getting as much intel on this as possible. There wasn't much around except for the self made print screens and some documantary stuff on youtube. Some pics which i used to study the gun :
The base for this project :
After the Beretta was bought i spent about 1,5 week or so measuring and 3D modelling the compensator. It proved a bit of a challeng as the Beretta had moving parts (no blowback) and i wanted to keep it moving smooth with or without compensator.
What was done to the Umarex Beretta to make it a bit more accurate :
First the CO2 piercing screw was cut and made into a flathead screw. A very easy mod, if not the easiest i've ever done. Secondly, there were some 5,5mm holes drilled where the 2 set screws need to sit in to keep the compensator in place while firing. Also when aiming for screen accuracy the screws were probably there for that same reason. Determining where these holes needed to be made was done in a later stage of the build.
The 3D printed model came in friday and i noticed i was a bit off here and there. 1 mm in the wrong spot and things just don't fit anymore. After the first fit i spent about 10 hours over the next 2 days sanding and carefully dremelling the prototype model. Final result of all this sanding and dremelling :
Made 2 custom M5 steel set screws. These were made from standard cut down black steel bolts. Jevaho will bring his gun bleuing stuff over sometime to get hem black again.
The compensator model was tapped with an M5 threading bit and fitted onto the Beretta. At this point the place where the set screw holes in the Beretta needed to be drilled was determined also.
Next up is gun bleuing the set screws and looking for the right kind of black to spraypaint the model and i'm done.
If there's enough interest i might consider looking into a run, but this will take some time as this prototype needs to re-modelled to avoid some of the intensive sanding and dremmeling that was done here. After that it's back to ordering, fitting, possibly a third re-model, ordering and fitting, ... etc... etc...
Small run going on over here :