Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 17, 2010, 6:06 AM - Toht coathanger tutorial #1

TOHT COATHANGER TUTORIAL

CHOOSING QUALITY MATERIALS FOR MAKING THIS PROJECT WILL GIVE YOU BETTER RESULTS. IF YOU CHOOSE MORE STURDY MATERIALS, SUCH AS METAL, DURABILITY AND LONGEVITY OF THE HANGER WILL BE BETTER THAN PLASTIC OR WOOD.

MATERIALS NEEDED:

1. - 2 hollow tubes of 25cm long, inner diameter 10mm, outer diameter 12mm.

2. - 2 hollow tubes of 20cm long, inner diameter 10mm, outer diameter 12mm.

3. - 1 hollow tube of 10cm long, inner diameter 12mm, outer diameter 14 to 15mm.

4. - 1 spring 35cm long, outer diameter 9mm.

5. - 2 springs 12cm long, outer diameter 9mm.

6. - 6 pieces of chain 2-3cm long (2 links) and 9 mm outer diameter. LINKS CLOSED.

7. - 2 pieces of chain 9cm long and 12-14 mm outer diameters. LINKS OPENED.

8. - 2 single links of 12-14 mm outer diameters. LINKS OPENED.

9. - 2 opened metal rings, outer diameter 2cm.

10. - 1 hanger hook.

Tools:

1. - Two tongs or pliers to open and close the chain links.

2. - A special glue for the material we are working with. In this case we値l use a long life special epoxy adhesive for metals.

3. - One string or small wire to tense springs through the tubes.

4. - One ruler.

WALKTHROUGH:

Because glue requires a drying time, the first step will be to attach the smaller 10cm tube to one end of one of the 25cm tubes. We will apply the special adhesive around the outer edge of one of the 25cm long tubes. We will then insert it into the 10cm tube until it reaches 5cm inside of it.

We have a few minutes to correct the position of this tube. To know if we have reached the correct depth of 5cm into the 10cm tube, we will introduce the other tube of 25cm at the other side until both tubes of 25cm touch inside the 10cm tube. Using a ruler, we will ensure that the 10cm tube is exactly in the middle of the longer ones. The overall length of all three tubes should be roughly 50cm.

Once reaching the correct length, we will set these pieces aside to let them dry. We should pay special attention that the smaller tube only must be attached to one of the 25cm sections, leaving the other one completely free.

Using this waiting time required for drying the glued pieces, the next step will be to assemble the chains and springs.

We will first take all the springs and will make a gap at its ends, isolating three or four coils from the rest of the spring. We値l use the tongs and pliers for this matter.

Next we値l attach all of the 2 link chains at 9mm in diameter at the ends of each spring. For this, we値l follow the thread of the spring through one link, until we find the gap we previously created at the ends of the springs.

Now we値l work on one of the 12cm springs with 2 links of chain at either ends. At one end of these chains we値l attach a 12-14mm opened link and then close it. Next attach a 2cm open metal ring and also close it at this time.

At the other end of the spring attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through one of the 20cm tubes until it appears out the other end.

Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube.

At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp one 9 cm chain piece, 12-14 mm in diameter, to the end of 2 link chain already attached. We close this chain link and have completed this first spring/tube section.

Let痴 momentarily leave this spring/tube section and focus on the other spring of 12cm with 2 link chains attached at either ends.

At one end of this spring section, we値l attach a 12-14mm opened link to the end of the 2 link chain and then close it. We値l then attach a 2cm open metal ring to this, but before closing it, we値l attach the hanger hook. Now close the 2cm metal ring.

As had been done before with the previous spring/tube section, at the other end of the spring opposite the hanger hook, attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through one of the 20cm tubes until it appears out the other end. Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube. At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp one 9cm chain piece, 12-14mm in diameter, to the end of 2 link chain already attached. We close this chain link and have completed this second spring/tube section.

Now, on our work table we have two spring/tube completed sections (20cm tubes). At either end of both sections, hangs a piece of chain of equal length and dimension. Now we値l work on these chain sections.

From this point, be certain that the 10cm tube is permanently attached to the end of the 25cm tube. If there is any doubt this is not completely dry and secure at this time, please wait. It will make for easier handling while completing the project and a sturdier end product once finished.

Take the end of the chain of one of the 20cm sections, no matter which one, and attach it at the ending chain of the 35cms spring. Then close the link.

At the other end of the spring, attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through both of the 25cm tubes coupled by the center 10 cm tube until it appears out the other end.

Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube. At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp the ending chain of the other already made 20cms spring/tube section. Now close this chain link.

Check the mechanism.

If all of the steps and directions have been followed correctly, at this time you should have a beautiful and fully functional reproduction of Toht痴 coathanger from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It should be foldable and very durable.

I uploaded a video to show my very result following this tutorial. Check it here

For the castillian-spanish version of this tutorial, check here
    You can read this tutorial translated into Italian HERE

Hope you enjoyed it.

Bests
    Barnett
  2. LeMarchand is offline LeMarchand
    Feb 17, 2010, 6:12 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #2

Very nice and thanks for sharing

this thread should be archived
    From
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Feb 17, 2010, 6:29 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #3

Another great item from Barnett College, this man is an Indy god.

Great work my friend, thanks for sharing this here.
  4. propologist is offline propologist
    Feb 17, 2010, 8:54 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #4

wow, this is cool
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 17, 2010, 11:35 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #5

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Bests
    Barnett
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Feb 17, 2010, 12:31 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #6

Great work, and thanks for the well-written and illustrated tutorial. I might just have to make one of these, now...
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Feb 17, 2010, 12:34 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #7

Great Work! Always loved this scene and now I know how to make my own
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 17, 2010, 3:49 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #8

Thank you so much, mates.
    It's so great to make your own hanger. You should try indeed.

Thanks again.
    Bests
    Barnett
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Feb 17, 2010, 4:14 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #9

Great tutorial!!

Archive material here!
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 17, 2010, 6:14 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #10

Thanks so much apollo.

I guess is something good but several of your said something about archive material. What that exactly mean?

Dammm... I hate to be the rookie again

Bests
    Barnett
    From
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Feb 17, 2010, 8:37 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #11

Very Cool. Thanks for posting. I have a bud who will love this as he is working on a Toht costume.
    From
    NE Florida
    Feb 18, 2010, 9:42 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #12

Excellent tutorial and prop, Barnett.

I remember that scene back in '81 vividly, when Toht entered the tent and snapped that hangar together...except, I didn't know it was going to be a hanger at the time (nor did anyone else in the theater!), and I remember thinking, "Oh my God...what sick torture instrument is this Nazi going to use on Marion?!"

Rob
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 18, 2010, 2:34 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #13

Ghostsoldier said: View Post
    Excellent tutorial and prop, Barnett.

I remember that scene back in '81 vividly, when Toht entered the tent and snapped that hangar together...except, I didn't know it was going to be a hanger at the time (nor did anyone else in the theater!), and I remember thinking, "Oh my God...what sick torture instrument is this Nazi going to use on Marion?!"

Rob
    Indeed... scary scene, Ghostsoldier.
    "Here it comes tragedy and blood" , I thought

Thanks for your words. really appreciated.
    Bests
    Barnett
  14. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Feb 18, 2010, 5:22 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #14

I've been looking for one of these for ages. Looks like I can make my own now. Thanks a million times over!
  15. RPF Premium Member thegreatgalling's Avatar
    From
    USA
    Feb 18, 2010, 6:58 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #15

Its great to have you here Barnett. I appreciate the pics and how clear you were in the descriptions!
    Feb 19, 2010, 12:19 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #16

Barnett College said: View Post
    Thanks so much apollo.

I guess is something good but several of your said something about archive material. What that exactly mean?

Dammm... I hate to be the rookie again

Bests
    Barnett
    What is meant by archive is that this thread is just so awesome and full of win, it should be archived so that it won't ever be erased or fall off the board. That way, years from now people can still find it and use it to make their own fantastic coat hangers.
  17. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Feb 19, 2010, 7:24 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #17

I think I'm going to attempt this as my first prop build. (Long time lurker first time poster). Thanks for the detailed tutorial.
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 19, 2010, 8:56 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #18

blownhemi said: View Post
    What is meant by archive is that this thread is just so awesome and full of win, it should be archived so that it won't ever be erased or fall off the board. That way, years from now people can still find it and use it to make their own fantastic coat hangers.
    Thanks so much.
    That looks good, uh?

And thanks for those who are giving an own-skills chance on this prop. Your highest reward will be to have it finished in your hands, believe me.

Bests
    Barnett
    Feb 21, 2010, 5:27 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #19

Great Job, Barnett! I am the guy finishing up my Toht costume that Tambo mentioned.

I never realized that the Toht hangar was so sophisticated, and thought it was basically just the metal tubes with a length of chain running through them. Does the film conclusively show it is spring-loaded like that, or could Toht have put an 'all chain' hangar together in a snappy fashion with some practice? I will probably make mine like yours, as it looks and works great, but wonder if it is over-engineered.
  20. RPF Premium Member SchubroProductions's Avatar
    From
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Feb 22, 2010, 8:21 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #20

Saw your tutorial over on COW. I am working on mine right now. Great tutorial! One question though. Is your hanger hook a found item or something you made? The stem of the hook to the loop is pretty long and I have not seen anything like it in store.
    From
    NE Florida
    Feb 22, 2010, 9:28 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #21

Barnett...you are welcome for the well-deserved comments.

If you guys need a specialty hanger, look here:

http://www.onlyhangers.com/

The "shaper hanger" hooks look like they would work...

You can use the metal hook from one of those cheapo, clear plastic hangers you see at thrift stores, as they usually have a long shank....
    Rob
    Feb 22, 2010, 1:24 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #22

THAT IS...RPF
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 22, 2010, 4:56 PM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #23

Bossk said: View Post
    Great Job, Barnett! I am the guy finishing up my Toht costume that Tambo mentioned.

I never realized that the Toht hangar was so sophisticated, and thought it was basically just the metal tubes with a length of chain running through them. Does the film conclusively show it is spring-loaded like that, or could Toht have put an 'all chain' hangar together in a snappy fashion with some practice? I will probably make mine like yours, as it looks and works great, but wonder if it is over-engineered.
    I must admit my hanger could be too much sophisticated, in fact, i don't really believe real movie hanger had any spring or resort. Nevertheless, when I decided to make it, I wanted to make something really nice and "profesional" and, as you can see through the video, my mechanism is a absolutelly automathic one. I think that's what it made me fall in love.

SchubroProductions said: View Post
    Saw your tutorial over on COW. I am working on mine right now. Great tutorial! One question though. Is your hanger hook a found item or something you made? The stem of the hook to the loop is pretty long and I have not seen anything like it in store.
    I made my own hook since i couldn't find a longer one, as you said. It was a matter of 10 mins, promissed.

You can use the metal hook from one of those cheapo, clear plastic hangers you see at thrift stores, as they usually have a long shank....
    Rob
    Great finding here, Ghostsoldier.

It would be great you all could show your hangers here. Come on... just for fun.

Bests
    Barnett
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Feb 26, 2010, 2:25 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #24

Where'd ya get the coat hanger hook or did you bend it yourself?
    From
    Barcelona
    Feb 26, 2010, 5:19 AM - Re: Toht coathanger tutorial #25

redsleighdown said: View Post
    Where'd ya get the coat hanger hook or did you bend it yourself?

Rob
    Bests
    Barnett