Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Aug 15, 2009, 5:34 PM - is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #1

trying to make a han solo in carbonite....read somewhere about print outs u can piece together...really could use as reference...I posted in paper forum..but i would imagine this pertains to props...(and gets more views!)
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2002
    Aug 15, 2009, 6:48 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #2

Not 100% sure it's 1:1, but there's a standee that was available. Out of production a while, however.
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:18 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #3

I got your PM but thought I would answer you here. The full size picture I made for mine was just a good hi res photo that I calculated and enlarged to the dimensions of the blue prints on line with a photostudio program. It takes some math to make the size correct. I think it took around 20 or so sheets of printer paper and I just put them together like a giant puzzle. It's the only way I could have made such an accurate copy without the actual prop in front of me.

I thought about the standee too but was not sure if it was to the EXACT size

Jumpin Jax said: View Post
    Not 100% sure it's 1:1, but there's a standee that was available. Out of production a while, however.
    From
    High River (Smallville), Alberta
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:22 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #4

I made a full sized print as well with several pages. It was temporary for the frame I made.

Resolution wasn't very good though.
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:39 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #5

Here is a pic of my photo's next to it the finished piece. I cut a board to the correct dimension and fit the photo's to it.

Last edited by darthchromer; Aug 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM.
    From
    High River (Smallville), Alberta
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:53 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #6

Looks cool!

Oh..I have a Han in Carbonite Beach towel..but not quite 1:1.
    From
    Vermont, USA
    Aug 16, 2009, 5:18 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #7

I'd love to get the file for the large print out. It would look awesome taped to the inside of my door!
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Aug 16, 2009, 6:07 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #8

thanks.... my math is iffy....I'm a good drawer so I guess I'll wing it... I also was going to do a foam build up..with maybe paper meche on top for wrinkles/ details....cast my hands/ boots... wont be as strong as fiberglass but I doubt I'll be dancing with it...!...
  9. micdavis is offline micdavis
    Aug 16, 2009, 6:23 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #9

The real question is: What is full size?

The Illusive Concepts licensed version, along with all the recasts of it (strangely allowed to be offered here) are known to be small by somewhere between 10%-20%. It is also a re-sculpt and not a direct casting from the original.
  10. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Aug 17, 2009, 1:49 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #10

IŽd be sooo interested in a 1:1 print...anyone?

Markus
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Aug 17, 2009, 2:58 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #11

Darthchromer,have you still got your file for the full sized version and will you consider putting it in the papreprop forum?
    Thanks Mark
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    the big wide world
    Aug 17, 2009, 7:08 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #12

i didn't realise Illusive Concepts was not a direct casting from the original.

Do any direct castings exist?
    From
    Australia
    Aug 17, 2009, 7:51 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #13

This is the one standing in ILM's reception - not sure if its any use, but who knows...

Please click on the thumb for a high-res version of the image.

Aug 17, 2009, 9:54 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #14

micdavis said: View Post
    The real question is: What is full size?

The Illusive Concepts licensed version, along with all the recasts of it (strangely allowed to be offered here) are known to be small by somewhere between 10%-20%. It is also a re-sculpt and not a direct casting from the original.
    Very interesting, I too thought it was a direct cast, at least the body section. The cast of Han's head that I used for mine was taken from an IC seems to be to scale for a human head if it were 10-20% bigger it would look to big in my opinion. Maybe Harrison had a big head? Can you fill us in a little more on the IC?
    From
    Ohio
    Aug 17, 2009, 3:19 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #15

darthchromer said: View Post
    Very interesting, I too thought it was a direct cast, at least the body section. The cast of Han's head that I used for mine was taken from an IC seems to be to scale for a human head if it were 10-20% bigger it would look to big in my opinion. Maybe Harrison had a big head? Can you fill us in a little more on the IC?
    I'm interested as well. I owned one way back in the day, and it seemed pretty much the correct size to me.
  16. micdavis is offline micdavis
    Aug 17, 2009, 3:33 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #16

IIRC, the original was molded for a version that was supplied to Planet Hollywood. A pull was made out of the mold that was used to make the PH version (after it sat around at ILm for a bunch of years) and it was given to IC for reference. But they did not use it directly. They re-sculpted it. Then molded that, added it to the master for the final version, which was then molded again and poorly reproduced.

So we are looking at, at least four chances for shrinkage on a 7 foot item. That's 2%-5% of shrinkage per casting or 8%-20%.

Look really closely at screen grabs of the face, you'll see the differences.

Interesting that the one at ILM has no control panels on it.
    Aug 17, 2009, 7:20 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #17

I would also be interested in the file as well. It would be great to have it on the door to my workshop.
    Aug 17, 2009, 8:16 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #18

Sorry guys, I never did save the 21 individual re sized pictures I made. Never thought I would need them again and I cut up my original copies when I was working on my sculpt. I found this picture below after I did my prints and is better quality. Mine was a lower res version and was very grainy. Hope it helps.

Aug 17, 2009, 8:23 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #19

IIRC, the original was molded for a version that was supplied to Planet Hollywood. A pull was made out of the mold that was used to make the PH version (after it sat around at ILm for a bunch of years) and it was given to IC for reference. But they did not use it directly. They re-sculpted it. Then molded that, added it to the master for the final version, which was then molded again and poorly reproduced.

So we are looking at, at least four chances for shrinkage on a 7 foot item. That's 2%-5% of shrinkage per casting or 8%-20%.

Look really closely at screen grabs of the face, you'll see the differences.

Interesting that the one at ILM has no control panels on it.
    Thanks for sharing the information. always good to know lineage on a prop.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Aug 17, 2009, 9:26 PM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #20

So...who wants to do the nerds like me a favor and get these however many letter-sized images scaled and prepped?
    Aug 18, 2009, 3:59 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #21

cayman shen said: View Post
    So...who wants to do the nerds like me a favor and get these however many letter-sized images scaled and prepped?
    Guess I am that nerd made it at 7 feet high and the computer recalculated the width.

Thank you darthchromer for the picture I cant wait to put that on my door
    From
    Wellington, N.Z.
    Aug 18, 2009, 5:01 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #22

It is also a re-sculpt and not a direct casting from the original.
    I did not know that.
  23. Member Since
    Dec 1999
    From
    England, U.K.
    Aug 18, 2009, 6:08 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #23

Have you got any evidence of this Mic?
    I find it very hard to believe that they could re-sculpt it so accurately. Every tiny little detail in the "flash" surrounding Han's body is absolutely perfect. It would be an incredible piece of "forgery" if IC's sculptor was able to capture all the tiny details so accurately. Based on all their other stuff which was sculpted from scratch, they didn't have any sculptors working for them who could sculpt an exact replica. (You've only got to look at their Yoda to see how far off that was).

Chris

It is also a re-sculpt and not a direct casting from the original.
    Last edited by cking; Aug 18, 2009 at 6:11 AM.
    From
    The Kingdom of Shadows
    Aug 18, 2009, 6:12 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #24

I cropped the pic of Darthcromer's HIC and uploaded it to Blockposters. The result was 32 pages of A4 sized pages which, if connected, would make up a poster about 7.5 feet high. I know this is larger than what it actually should be, but Blockposters doesn't allow you to specify height... only the number of pages it should print out to. So it was either 7.5 feet or 5.6 feet. The downside, obviously, is that its pixelated.

Anyway, here's the PDF if anyone's interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?nz5tkjzmzjk

I haven't printed it out yet, so if anyone of you does print it out, take a pic of it so we all know what it ultimately looks like.

Many thanks to darthchromer for sharing the pics.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Aug 18, 2009, 8:14 AM - Re: is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite #25

tk1055 said: View Post
    Guess I am that nerd made it at 7 feet high and the computer recalculated the width.

Thank you darthchromer for the picture I cant wait to put that on my door
    Thanks--getting the dimensions was a huge help!

I think, for this to work, someone who has a Han in Carbonite would have to take a series of photos of it, then crop them so that when all the photos were printed, it came out nice. Even a cheap digital camera will take a beautiful hi-res image, and with a little photoshop magic to crop and maybe correct some of the lighting if need be/possible, I think that'd be the best solution to get this with no pixelization.
    Last edited by cayman shen; Aug 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM.