Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 22, 2011, 9:06 PM - Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #1

After doing the Rifle for this show, I guess I can't leave the Pistol out of my collection. So, as I'm still a newbie here and not allowed to offer anything in the Junkyard (yet ), here's how YOU can build a nice prop.

You'll need:
    Nerf N-Strike Nite Finder Pistol
    The Flashlite from a Nerf Recon CS-6
    6" of 3/4" PVC
    Female 3/4" PVC end cap
    Mini-Mag Flashlight, the 2 cell AA (BOTH the LED and regular are used in the show so either is correct)

Here we go!

Disassemble the Nerf gun and the Recon Flash lite by taking out all the screws. Carefully, lots of little springs inside that can go TWANG! and be lost.
    NOTE: I like things that work so I'm going to keep the original LED Targeter.
    Remove all the parts you won't be needing till it looks like this picture.

Dremell the trigger as shown:

Gut the lens for the light and put it back togeather. It's a used part for the top of the gun, so save it!

Dremell and sand the PVC so the Female end fits good. Then put the angle on the piece and glue it flush. After it sets up, a little glazzing putty with your finger around the edge and a light sanding completes the barrel. Give it a quick shot with black spraypaint to be sure it looks right.

Choice time: If your going to put it under glass or hang it on a wall, use bondo to fill in the body sections. If it's going to walk around with you as part of a costume, Short Strand Fiberglass.

Once the two Bodys are done, sand the face of the grey piece that was holding the batteries in for the Recon Flash lite.

You should be here...

More later ...
  2. How YOU do'in? RPF Premium Member Mara Jade's Father's Avatar
    From
    NAS Jacksonville
    Oct 22, 2011, 9:10 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #2

I was hoping someone woud do this one.
  3. Majestic 3 RPF Premium Member sean's Avatar
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Oct 22, 2011, 9:25 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #3

Alright! just the one I was thinking about....
    Oct 22, 2011, 10:24 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #4

Sweet!!! You can't post em in the junkyard yet..... but I'll buy one from ya
  5. RPF Premium Member kevinericon's Avatar
    Oct 23, 2011, 2:43 AM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #5

Very nice. Looking forward to more updates.
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 23, 2011, 8:32 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #6

For today....

This little grey piece, that was the part that held in the battery for the Recon Flash lite, sand the ~face~ to get all that silly lettering off of it. Use 220 so it's rough enough to accept glue.

Now as I said, I'm keeping the integral lite that the pistol has already in it. To do that, dremell out this grey pieces internal ribbing so it fits over the LED black housing.

Rough sand the top of this piece as well, it gets glued to the original holder of the lens for the LED. But not yet, just prep the pieces for now. We have to get the barrel shroud (Recon Flash Lite) fitted for placement first.

Fun time...This is the hardest part to do right here. I find that having a full-scale photo or print out works wonders for getting details corect. I highly recomend it, if you can get them.
    The red lines are the cut points, leave yourself about 1/8" and then sand to a perfect fit from there. You can see the front is done here.

more tomarrow!

...sorry taking so long but I have 3 Parties to get get 5 costumes ready for this weekend.
  7. Majestic 3 RPF Premium Member sean's Avatar
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Oct 23, 2011, 9:21 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #7

No problem.looking good....
  8. How YOU do'in? RPF Premium Member Mara Jade's Father's Avatar
    From
    NAS Jacksonville
    Oct 24, 2011, 5:09 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #8

Which version are you doing (left or right)?

From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 24, 2011, 6:11 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #9

All three

This is the hardest one.

The other two (as in your picture) are built on it with only some very minor details changed. I'll explain were each one diverts as I build, so if you want any of the three you get the info on it.

just in grabbing some dinner and will be back out in the shop the rest of the night
    Oct 24, 2011, 11:53 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #10

Hmm, from looking at some of the reference shots in the analysis thread, are we sure the barrel on this isn't from the recon as well? It would have to have its 'slots' filled in, but it looks about the right size, and it seems to have the little pinlines circling around the barrel like the recon does. A piece of 3/4 could have been inserted to create the same inner diameter as when using a coupler or end cap.
    Last edited by Etewaf; Oct 25, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 25, 2011, 10:10 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #11

Spencer said: View Post
    Hmm, from looking at some of the reference shots in the analysis thread, are we sure the barrel on this isn't from the recon as well? It would have to have its 'slots' filled in, but it looks about the right size, and it seems to have the little pinlines circling around the barrel like the recon does. A piece of 3/4 could have been inserted to create the same inner diameter as when using a coupler or end cap.
    Yes, I'm sure. It's close and workable if you don't or cant do the PVC barrel, but not exact.
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 25, 2011, 10:24 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #12

Jonny B there is a fourth. One without the Recon laser Light shroud/piece.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/terra-nova-...22/index2.html

See post #31 - 1st and 2nd photos.

Love this thread. Thanks for the details. I am going to try and reproduce this once we get the final lesson. Thank you for your hard work and effort.

Best,
    DBCooper
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 25, 2011, 10:25 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #13

Sorry, busy busy...

Here I've used a piece of wood and dremelled it down to fit on the top rail as the Iron Sight.

Gutted the scope/barrelshroud completely.

While it is taped togeather, fiberglass it along the inner join,then dremel out any excess glass.

Here's a test fit to the gun. You can see where I'll need to cut-dremel so the barrel shroud fits cleanly over it.

Measured the stop point and cut away excess top rail from the main body.

NOT attached yet (tons more to do and add) but you get the idea where this is going.

--end of line--
  14. Majestic 3 RPF Premium Member sean's Avatar
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Oct 25, 2011, 10:31 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #14

Looking awesome!
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 25, 2011, 10:40 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #15

DBCooper said: View Post
    Jonny B there is a fourth. One without the Recon laser Light shroud/piece.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/terra-nova-...22/index2.html

See post #31 - 1st and 2nd photos.

Love this thread. Thanks for the details. I am going to try and reproduce this once we get the final lesson. Thank you for your hard work and effort.

Best,
    DBCooper
    HA! I know where that one came from too! That's a left-over piece from the Terra Nova Rifle build. They must have had it laying about like I did
  16. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Oct 27, 2011, 3:02 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #16

Jonny B, Your tutorial has inspired me to build a pistol as well. I have picked up the Nite Finder and Recon already and I will start the tear down this weekend. Keep up the great work!!! I am looking forward to more instalments to come.

Jeff
  17. Member Since
    May 2010
    Oct 28, 2011, 1:00 AM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #17

is Nerf getting it's own place in the credits of Terra Nova?
    From
    I,m living in the small town called Delft yes the in the Netherlands
    Oct 28, 2011, 2:01 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #18

it ,s looking good
  19. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Clearwater Florida
    Oct 29, 2011, 11:27 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #19

Very cool thread!! I'm looking forward to raiding the parts bin to make one of these variants. I really appreciate the tutorial Jonny B!

Brian
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 30, 2011, 10:16 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #20

OH KAY! All Hallows Eve is done so back to work! (Also, very happy with wining all the local shows )

Today:

This grey piece, that was the part that held the original lens for the target LED, is now going to be used to hold the barrel of the gun. Sand down both "faces" of it till smooth.

Now dremell out the opening so your PVC barrel is a good fit in it. Once thats done you need to fill the side holes (shown in pic) with bondo or glass, then resand down to smooth sides again.

Back to this barel shroud...dremel or cut as I show it marked in red. You can see this'll match exactly with the original show prop.
    NOTE! I've shown how to do the ~vent holes~ on a piece exactly like this in the Terra Nova Rifle Build, its the same with this piece.

Here I've roughed in the handle a bit more, building it up with more glass. Theree are 3 finger grips ~notches~ mark them in pencil and sand with 220 to get the shape, then with 400 to get it cleaner. Finally with 800 for that smooooth finish

Test fit all the pieces and here's where you should be....

The next steps divert, depending on what gun you want to make.
  21. Majestic 3 RPF Premium Member sean's Avatar
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Oct 30, 2011, 10:22 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #21

Art in the making.nice work my friend.any chance we could get a pic of it from the back?
    From
    Corning, New York
    Oct 31, 2011, 11:33 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #22

OK, choice time:

If you want the James "Jim" Shannon pistol, cut off the flashlite mounts flush with the main body and fill with fiberglass. That's these two pieces that hang down under the barrel...

If you want the Commander Nathaniel Taylor pistol, remove the flashlite mounts as well, but THIS piece *half of it actually, it comes apart and you only need one section* is added instead of the lens.

If you want the Lt. Alicia Washington or Lt. Guzman pistol...you're a glutton for punishment and should seek help! OK, start by filling in the arms of the pieces that hang down with fiberglass. These arms/mounting brackets are functional (at least how I made it) and will hold the flashlite.

Dremell out the holes and then drill them with 1/8th in drill bit. These holes are actually smaller then the screws we'll use.

Now we "tap" the hole. Grab a extra screw, file 2-3 cuts in the tip of it and SLOWLY screw it in. When you meet a bit of resistance, back it out, clean it off and start again. This is a cheap way to tap holes for a perfect fit.

Wa-la! Two holes, taped and now the flashlight mounts easy, and more important, can be taken out and new batterys put in it!

Dremel the grey piece as shown. The "Lens" was a bit tricky but I think I got close. The Orange piece is part of the bolt return in a Nerf Recon. If you don't have one, no biggy, make it out of wood.

Cut the orange piece and fit it as shown. Go slow, take your time. If you had to hand make the piece, go even slower

Should be able to wrap this puppy up tomarow! I have the pieces painted and drying right now, just final assembly to go!

Here they are just before being shot.
  23. IO SATVRNALIA! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Nov 1, 2011, 6:55 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #23

Awesome. I was wondering how the bottom barrel would be completed.

Can't wait to see it in paint!
  24. Majestic 3 RPF Premium Member sean's Avatar
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Nov 1, 2011, 7:04 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #24

Sweeeeeeet! can't wait for paint ether.nice work man.....
    Nov 1, 2011, 8:14 PM - Re: Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial #25

Looks good. Have you identified the little detail piece that is glued to the round part on the back where the nerf logo used to be?