templates for the Firefly Lassiter.

I still do Firefly props but since I'm pretty busy with other stuff, it takes a long time to finish things. I just did this little puppy however:

attachment.php

It's about 7" long and 3d printed, made from the files that I used for my 1:1 replica. :) (Sadly the barrel broke off... which is odd because the material isn't THAT fragile, so I'm getting a replacement right now.)

The same technique can easily be used to do Lassiter parts without the need for molding, cleanup or anything- just glue on the parts and paint. (I'm actually printing parts for three different Hellboy projects right now.) The downside is of course the cost... a Lassiter addon-kit would cost at least around $250-300 to print.

That's why i intend to have the masterparts done by milling, lathing and lasercutting, so i can offer a full kit at $150-175. This puppy is big and heavy

Ok, here we go. Been working on this for a few weeks and put in the finishing touches over the last few days. (I've got an ache in my shoulder from all the frenzied mouse clicking.)

One Lassetter flashlight conversion kit, ready to 3D print!

16 parts, perfectly symmetrical with super-crisp details, virtually no cleanup before paint, hollow to allow electronics... still doing final checks but due to some careful modeling I managed to keep the printing cost reasonable. Will end up costing 180-200 on Shapeways. Yaay! :lol

I haven't done a print myself yet... ordering that today. I'm 99% sure this will print perfectly (I was careful with all the tolerances and have printed enough to know what works) but I'll wait until I can confirm it before putting up a JY thread (though if anyone wants the link now, send me PM). The images with white backgrounds are from Shapeways testing software.

The only parts I didn't model are the three rectangular plates that go between the flashlight and the "nose greeblies". I CAN do them of course but it seemed kind of a waste to print such simple parts. I'm also thinking of maybe modeling a part to get the correct back-end details if you don't have the correct model flashlight.

Last edited:
You are quickly becoming awesome in my book!
Ok, here we go. Been working on this for a few weeks and put in the finishing touches over the last few days. (I've got an ache in my shoulder from all the frenzied mouse clicking.)

One Lassetter flashlight conversion kit, ready to 3D print!

16 parts, perfectly symmetrical with super-crisp details, virtually no cleanup before paint, hollow to allow electronics... still doing final checks but due to some careful modeling I managed to keep the printing cost reasonable. Will end up costing 180-200 on Shapeways. Yaay! :lol

I haven't done a print myself yet... ordering that today. I'm 99% sure this will print perfectly (I was careful with all the tolerances and have printed enough to know what works) but I'll wait until I can confirm it before putting up a JY thread (though if anyone wants the link now, send me PM). The images with white backgrounds are from Shapeways testing software.

The only parts I didn't model are the three rectangular plates that go between the flashlight and the "nose greeblies". I CAN do them of course but it seemed kind of a waste to print such simple parts. I'm also thinking of maybe modeling a part to get the correct back-end details if you don't have the correct model flashlight.

Well, it is still WAY out of my price range, but it is a beautiful kit. Your work has always been great, but it just keeps getting better.

For those that can aford it, they should be very, very, happy with it.

My test print just arrived and the parts look great. They'll need some sanding and then a couple shots of thick primer (spray filler) to seal the pores and even up the surface before the main paint goes on. All in all it looks like another win for 3d printing. Including a photo of the parts I just snapped at work. When I get home I'll take some pics and verify the fit against the flashlight. If all is well, look for a thread in the JY with a link to buying kits soon...!

Cool :)

I've just had a set set of parts made as well, which I'm hoping to get this week.

Will be interesting to compare and contrast.

The scope has been printed from LeMarchand's 3D model (cheers, Mark :thumbsup)

The rest of the parts are laser-cut.

More pics. (Also set up a thread in the JY for those that want a kit!)

I've started priming the parts and am going to make an overlay for the display. Also need to source some clear plastic rod and other little items.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back