Subscribe
    From
    Chicago, Il
    Jan 18, 2011, 12:32 PM - Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #1

On the AL, we have health debate about the Pulse Rifle color. It was Humbrol 170 Bess Brown, but looks OD Green in the film.

I guess "Tardis Blue" is even more of an enigma. Is it paint or stain? It looks blue on TV, but purple in real life. Are you mixing up an ounce for a model or a gallon for a full size Tardis. Which tardis/doctor/year. I have done a bunch of searching here and on tardis builders. It seems that people use a variety of different options.

So I thought I would start a thread here just for paint options.

I am going to use one of the HomeDepot Behr paints and then try to age it with a black rub/dry brush. Either S-G-560, 570, or 580 Jazz Blue, Sapphire Lace or Running Water.

Please post any other paint you have tried.
    From
    Kent, UK
    Jan 18, 2011, 3:14 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #2

The thing about the Tardis is that, despite an allegedly non-functioning chameleon circuit, it still changed from Doctor to Doctor. I believe the circuit works fine and the Doctor just got used to the shape.
    So IMHO, as long as the overall dimensions and door furniture (plaque, handles, keyhole position) match for whichever incarnation of Tardis you're aiming for, a slight difference in shade won't be too much of a deal. Of course, I'd just be happy to have a Tardis, but others may want perfection. YAMMV
    From
    Maryland
    Jan 18, 2011, 3:19 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #3

Right, the best thing to do is decide which tardis you want, then shoot for the best match.
    From
    Chicago, Il
    Feb 15, 2011, 10:42 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #4

Nice to get encouragement to pick a color. I think it really is a matter of preference since the look differs so much based on how it is filmed.

This is the Behr (Home Depot) Sapphire Lace in eggshell. I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door 2.jpg 
Views:	3512 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	45487  
    From
    Kent, UK
    Feb 15, 2011, 12:16 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #5

Nice! Looks close to the 11th Doctor's Tardis in colour. Tempted to put a St John's logo on there?
    From
    Chicago, Il
    Mar 6, 2011, 3:15 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #6

I was happy with the color, but it needed some weathering in my opinion. Keep in mind that this is not a specific version, but just a fun project for me.
    I took some of the remaining paint and mixed some black into it and brushed it on with a very stiff brush.
    I love the effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door 4.jpg 
Views:	1935 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	47153  
    From
    Currently I reside in Alabama.
    Mar 6, 2011, 4:09 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #7

Angelus Lupus said: View Post
    The thing about the Tardis is that, despite an allegedly non-functioning chameleon circuit, it still changed from Doctor to Doctor. I believe the circuit works fine and the Doctor just got used to the shape.
    So IMHO, as long as the overall dimensions and door furniture (plaque, handles, keyhole position) match for whichever incarnation of Tardis you're aiming for, a slight difference in shade won't be too much of a deal. Of course, I'd just be happy to have a Tardis, but others may want perfection. YAMMV

Actually, There was a story where he fixed the chameleon circuit. It was a Colin Baker story, so i'm not surprised no one remembers it. It turned into an Organ at one point even. I can't remember why he turned it back into a police box tho, if it broke again, or he just decided "HELL NO, no organ jokes for MY tardis!"
  8. Member Since
    May 2011
    May 19, 2011, 2:07 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #8

I have always been of the opinion that the Chameleon Circuit is only mostly stuck in the shape of a Police Box. Now and again it pulses briefly to life only to settle back on the shape of a Police Box variant.
    From
    Southern California
    May 20, 2011, 1:15 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #9

joeranger said: View Post
    I took some of the remaining paint and mixed some black into it and brushed it on with a very stiff brush.
    I love the effect.
    Much better IMO. Reminds me of the 10th Doctor's TARDIS.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    May 20, 2011, 2:38 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #10

i find that the blue that subaru wrx's use is very similar.
    From
    Oviedo, FL USA
    May 23, 2011, 5:48 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #11

"Behr (Home Depot) Sapphire Lace in eggshell"

Thanks for the reference.
    From
    London, UK / Baton Rouge, LA
    May 25, 2011, 7:50 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #12

Sea Monkey said: View Post
    I have always been of the opinion that the Chameleon Circuit is only mostly stuck in the shape of a Police Box. Now and again it pulses briefly to life only to settle back on the shape of a Police Box variant.
    To quote the Doctor from the Season 5 DVD extra:

"Everytime the TARDIS materialises in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyses its surroundings, calculates a 12 dimensional data map of everything within a 1000 mile radius, and determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment... and then it disguises itself as a Police Telephone Box from 1963."

Which makes sense to me.
    From
    Southern California
    May 25, 2011, 9:07 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #13

I love your avatar Zev!
  14. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    May 25, 2011, 11:28 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #14

I think in the movie the Doctor said he grew fond of the police box design and just decided to keep it that way.
    In any case, the color you used looks great - perfect for the project I am developing.
    From
    Cumbria
    May 26, 2011, 7:33 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #15

On one of the BBC blueprints it specifically states 'Prussian Blue'.
  16. LeAngeSolitaire is offline LeAngeSolitaire
    May 26, 2011, 7:59 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #16

shagger999uk said: View Post
    On one of the BBC blueprints it specifically states 'Prussian Blue'.

It's not. The actual paint that is used on the Matt Smith box has already been identified above.
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    May 26, 2011, 12:53 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #17

First choose which of the many doctors you want to do. Then research for that particular one. There is a TARDIS building site around the web that gives all the info for each of the boxes used.

Please remember people, what you seen and what it actually is are two different things due to lighting, filters, etc while filming. But then again, if your making, paint it purple if you want... But if you want correct color, go by what the company who made it states it is.

The circuit is actually stuck, or should be stuck on the 1960's blue police box. The Doctor has tried to have it repaired a few times but to no end. The outside style is just like the outfits, sometimes they change and you are not showed why. That or the "sexy thing" just likes the box shape too much and changes it slightly when he changes, just to have something to do...
    From
    Medford MA
    May 27, 2011, 6:45 PM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #18

Colin Baker's attempts to fix the chameleon circuit also caused it to behave erratically. In the script the Doctor abandons the effort deciding that the Tardis just prefers to look like a police box.

Outside of the script John Nathan-Turner admitted that it was merely a stunt to drum up interest in the series. Colin Baker's role was not considered a success (to put it mildly).
    From
    Cumbria
    May 28, 2011, 2:09 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #19

LeAngeSolitaire said: View Post
    It's not. The actual paint that is used on the Matt Smith box has already been identified above.
    No one specified the Matt Smith box.

20. LeAngeSolitaire is offline LeAngeSolitaire
    May 28, 2011, 5:27 AM - Re: Tardis Exterior Paint / Color #20

True, but you never specified the Newbery box either! Lol.