Supernatural The First Blade

I don't mean any offense, but I feel as though you might be taking the name of the product literally. You might be looking for a faux bone finish - but that stuff looks like a sort of...Friendly Plastic or sheet styrene-esque material that can be carved, sanded, melted, what have you. This material you've linked to doesn't seem to have a texture of its own - so you'd have to add that with some sort of sculpting medium - so while a it might prove useful to create your initial shape, you'd still have work to do to get things where you'd need them to be with regard to texture and detail. Additionally, the sheets max out at eight inches by eight inches, so they're much too small for the blade (unless there's a way to join them - which maybe could be accomplished via melting). Having used reference photos (including head-to-toe shots of Ackles increased to life-size in Photoshop, then cross-referenced with shots of him holding the blade), I arrived at a length of eighteen inches, so you'd have to join at least a couple of these together in a way that would make them strong.

Having no understanding of how to work with the material, I think it might be the smarter play to use materials that are familiar to you - but if you've got the funds to buy some and experiment, and you're feeling adventurous - give it a try.

My build is Super Sculpey over a 3/4 inch wooden template. I carved into the wood on a bench grinder, with rasps, and finally with a Dremel tool - then I used Sculpey to contour and shape with more control. Texture was created using Liquid Sculpey and a succession of sponge brushes. These things are easily obtained and super easy to work with - and cost me less than the material you're investigating.

Don't know if that helps at all, but good luck! :)

The last episode is on tonight. i have not seen it it yet but from what I have seen the First Blade is.. Well. think of Dean and The First Blade like Storm-bringer and Elric. If you get my meaning

Did you guys notice the change to the prop in tonights episode? In the last scene, it had red zig zag lines and dots above the handle; 76f1e868a5c7f69ab5931b37bd8a9284.png
Here is a (super blurry) shot of it with the lines

Last edited:
Yeah, you make a really good point. Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I'll get the chance I build my own soon!

Also, is it okay to bake the sculpey over the wood in my kitchen oven?

It's actually MADE for doing exactly that. The directions say that you bake it for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch at 275 degrees. And you can bake it, sand it down, carve it, add more to it, then toss it back in the oven for more baking. I would recommend that you bake the wood at this temperature first to get any sap to leak out, and then you're good to go. It's simple and fun.

Also - with regard to the red paint on the blade, I noticed that first in a sort of glamour shot of the prop that apparently went out on director Guy Bee's Twitter feed awhile ago - and never again. :D

The image is big enough that it will distort the thread, so let me see if I can link to it...

Deathstalker, did you freehand your wooden piece? I tried to make a template by tracing over the outlines of the last picture you posted, but it didn't come out as well as I would have liked it too. I rescaled the trace to match the length of 18 inches that you figured out. This made the widest section (right above handle) about 4 inches ( a very small amount over). Does that match the proportions you had?

Thanks!

Here is my template right now:zg8uBpM.jpg

In Photoshop, the template was 18". I removed the teeth, and that brought it down to seventeen. Then I cut the wood a little smaller to allow for the sculpt to be a bit bigger if needed. My finished sculpt (well, nearly finished) is exactly seventeen inches long without the teefs. At the widest point, it's three and one quarter inches. Here's my template, since it would appear I'm less interested in selling one of these and far more interested in giving everyone the info they need to just do their own! :D

I'm teasing. Hope this helps. Note the optical illusion that elongates and thins the blade when the teeth are gone. It looked entirely wrong until I put them in place.

Last edited:
I think that, in a way, the talk of building the blade and that kind of thing derailed Tain's original thread concept - he wanted to know what the thing did and how it worked. I think he got tired of our crap and posted his own answer (now that the show has really told us all we need to know about the thing, that is)! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back