Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 20, 2013, 12:31 AM - Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #1

Was there a general thread for this already? I swear I caught a glimpse of some new Starfleet (or civilian) weaponry beyond the standard phaser...

Last edited by alienscollection.com; May 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
    From
    St. Paul, MN
    May 20, 2013, 3:16 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #2

I'm curious about the phaser pointed at Scotty by the USS Vengence crewmember.
    From
    England
    May 20, 2013, 10:05 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #3

Gotta get me one of them fancy rifles. Now it's just a case of waiting for some decent screen-caps.
    May 20, 2013, 4:24 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #4

From
    England
    May 20, 2013, 6:00 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #5

Looks like QMX have finally revealed what their offerings are.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STID_Phaser-2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	187043
    An updated phaser, with...

Name:	STID_Phaser-1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	187044
    ... a spinny bit! From what I can gather, there's going to be a manual spinny version released with a special Amazon bundle (with the Blu-Ray, 3D Blu-Ray and DVD combo set) coming out later this year, and a motorized one getting a standalone release in 2014.

Name:	Starfleet_Ring_2013-7.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	187045
    We've also got an updated Starfleet Academy ring. This one is apparently going to be cast from the same molds QMX used to make the props for the film. This looks much nicer, in my opinion at least, than the previous ring.

Name:	Starfleet_Ring_2009-2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	187046
    That one looks like it's been inflated compared to the new version.

But wait, there's more!

Name:	UFP_Flag-2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	187047
    A new UFP flag, and...

Name:	QMx-stid-badge_command.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	187049
    ... re-released insignia pins.

That's it in the way of props from QMX so far.
  6. RPF Premium Member kcpstudio's Avatar
    May 20, 2013, 6:12 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #6

@ alienscollection.com

The top three pics are of the "Knormian" phaser. What I can tell you about that phaser is that John Eaves was the illustrator that created it. As I was working on all the hero phasers, I designed the CAD and built the hero masters, of the Knormian Phaser, for Rick Gamez who was also working on the film. Rick then took my masters, pulled molds, and built up all of those. It was a pleasure tag teaming that one with him..... he's a great friend.

@back55

even though I worked on the film, I have no idea what phaser that was that was pointed at Scotty. I could make a few phone calls and see if I can come up with some pics or at least some info.
    From
    P2X-3YZ
    May 20, 2013, 6:36 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #7

I'd love to see more pictures of the weapons.
    May 20, 2013, 6:43 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #8

Thanks for the info KCP - is there anywhere online to see better/clearer pics of these?

Awesome work by the way - definitely caught my eye...
    From
    New York, NY
    May 20, 2013, 8:53 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #9

Glad to see that that KCP is helping to finally get us a replica of the phaser with a motorized stun/kill feature. I've been waiting for one of these for a while. just hope it's not going to end up costing over a grand (which I'm guessing it probably will )

I already preordered the blu-ray set with the phaser on Amazon. $80 isn't bad for that at all.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    Falkirk, Scotland
    May 20, 2013, 8:58 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #10

I hope the Blu-Ray/Phaser set makes it to the UK!
    May 21, 2013, 1:04 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #11

The pistol in the Uhura pic is Klingon - that was done at The Hand Prop Room, along with the bat'leths and the BFG that "John Harrison" uses in that sequence.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    May 21, 2013, 10:30 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #12

The Phaser/ Bluray set looks like a great offering. I may get that since I missed the phaser the first time around.

For those that have the first phaser, what is the quality like?
  13. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    May 21, 2013, 11:00 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #13

Jay1138 said: View Post
    The Phaser/ Bluray set looks like a great offering. I may get that since I missed the phaser the first time around.

For those that have the first phaser, what is the quality like?
    Not bad at all. It's mighty cool looking, heavy, & makes a great display piece.

Having just come back from watching Start Trek into Darkness, I was of course, throughout the film, looking out for new props

To be honest, the Phaser is identical except for an inverted colour black / grey on the top and the handle, compared to the first one. And the rotating stun/kill barrel of course. Communicator looks identical too. Tricorder is seen very briefly, so no opinion on that yet.

Back to the phaser, I am not getting the latest version, as I don't think having another 'identical' one that just has a manually rotating barrel justifies the expense.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sbs.jpg 
Views:	4263 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	187412  
  14. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    May 21, 2013, 12:46 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #14

WillManDude said: View Post
    We've also got an updated Starfleet Academy ring. This one is apparently going to be cast from the same molds QMX used to make the props for the film. This looks much nicer, in my opinion at least, than the previous ring.

Name:	Starfleet_Ring_2009-2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	187046
    Here's a question. Someone please illuminate me.

I've been waiting for a ST 2009 ring for ages, yet I have not seen them on sale in stock anywhere. Not even on the QMX website.

So they're doing an Into Darkness Academy ring, and the first one hasn't been made available yet ?

If it is available, I'd like to buy one.

So if anyone knows where, please point me in the right direction
    From
    Southern California
    May 21, 2013, 2:19 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #15

kcpstudio said: View Post

even though I worked on the film, I have no idea what phaser that was that was pointed at Scotty. I could make a few phone calls and see if I can come up with some pics or at least some info.
    At least one of the guys who worked on these was recently banned from the RPF. Bummer.
  16. RPF Premium Member kcpstudio's Avatar
    May 21, 2013, 2:22 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #16

@Allen Castillo

All the Super Heros, Heros, and Tear Down phasers, that I made for Into Darkness is different and not identical to the 2009. The heros from 2009 had a totally different handle, had no lens or functioning rotary setting on top, had a ton of visible bolts holding the thing together, and the paint was different. So to say the phaser is identical is not correct.

With that said... the phaser QMx made for the film is the same design they had for the QMx 2009 replica but is now utilizing a magnetic hold for the manual rotate of the barrels that I developed for my tear downs in the film. QMx states that their phasers are pulls directly from the same molds. They are referring to their molds off their replicas... not my heros in the movie. If QMx provided background phasers for the film, I can not confirm what they may have provided and that could be the molds they are referring to. However, all the phasers on screen are mine... so I don't know where their backgrounds would be. Could have been cut out of the final edit. The phaser they are releasing with the dvd set, according to their site, will be spring loaded. I will be putting an article together so i will confirm what exactly they will be producing.

Now, the animatronic 2014 phaser they mentioned on their site would be mine. I mentioned to them that I would love to make a limited edition of the hero phaser I made for the film. I just want to be clear on a few things so there's not misunderstanding. I hope this helps clear up some questions.

Cheers,
    Kenney
    Last edited by kcpstudio; May 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added new info
  17. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    May 21, 2013, 3:07 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #17

@Allen Castillo

All the Super Heros, Heros, and Tear Down phasers, that I made for Into Darkness is different and not identical to the 2009. The heros from 2009 had a totally different handle, had no lens or functioning rotary setting on top, had a ton of visible bolts holding the thing together, and the paint was different. So to say the phaser is identical is not correct.
    I was not referring to the one used on screen Kenny. What I wrote referred to the side by side pictures of the two made by QMX.

... which we agree on :

With that said... the phaser QMx is making for sale through the DVD release etc is of the same design they had for the QMx 2009 release they had but is now utilizing a magnetic hold for the manual rotate of the barrels that I developed for my tear downs in the film.
    ... and is why I am not going to buy the Into Darkness QMX version, because a 'manual' rotating barrel, IMO, does not 'justify' me spending money on an almost identical static prop for display.
  18. RPF Premium Member kcpstudio's Avatar
    May 21, 2013, 3:55 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #18

@Alan Castillo

Gotcha

Sorry, just wanted to make sure that everyone knows the difference and don't get upset because they saw my heros on set and then buy the DVD limited edition and then say it doesn't look the same. QMx, i believe, mentioned they made background phasers and that's what they are selling. They said "stunts" but in my industry, a "stunt" is a soft prop for the stunt guys. I think they are referring to background pieces. I can't confirm that cause I had nothing to do with that. I know they did do work on the film and I'm sure they'll talk about that at some point. I do know they at least made the rings and some models found on the desk in the admiral's office.
    Last edited by kcpstudio; May 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
    May 21, 2013, 4:06 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #19

hey kenney,

great meeting you at wonderfest...i was the guy with the 20 questions about phasers (or one of the many people badgering you about details). thanks again for telling my daughter the story about how you started out and got into the prop biz...and thanks for all the cool stuff you showed us on your laptop.

what a treat to see the hero phasers and talk to the craftsman who built them.

saw the movie the next day with family & friends -- we all loved it.

looking forward to updates on the animatronic versions.

ted
    Last edited by DrMcoy; May 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM. Reason: spelled kenney's name wrong
    May 21, 2013, 7:09 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #20

Looks like QMx will be offering the models Adm. Marcus had on his desk: http://io9.com/a-close-up-look-at-th...ht-h-509076595

Here's QMx's press release: QMx Offers Props from Star Trek Into Darkness | QMx Online
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    May 21, 2013, 8:13 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #21

Placed a pre-order for the LE set. Seems like a great buy.
    May 21, 2013, 8:40 PM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #22

MooMooEgg said: View Post
    I already preordered the blu-ray set with the phaser on Amazon. $80 isn't bad for that at all.
    Such an easy purchase since I don't have a phaser, want the movie set, and don't have to pay for it yet.
    From
    San Francisco
    May 22, 2013, 4:08 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #23

You know, that's not a shabby deal. I just pre-ordered one myself.

Are these the same badges that came with the best buy bluray set?
    From
    Killoughrim, ireland
    May 22, 2013, 9:49 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #24

jlee562 said: View Post
    You know, that's not a shabby deal. I just pre-ordered one myself.

Are these the same badges that came with the best buy bluray set?
    yes they are, QMX made the badges that came with that set.
  25. RPF Premium Member C0mmand3rC0dy's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth, TX
    May 22, 2013, 10:35 AM - Re: Star Trek Into Darkness replicas #25

I'm excited about the servo phaser!