"Concept" Phase Weapon by Kenney's Custom Props, LLC

kcpstudio

Sr Member
Cancelled Project

Greetings,

So, I have got a lot of requests from members here wanting to see my concept phaser I built for Into Darkness. Well, I'm finally getting around to it. I hope you guys like what you see.

I guess I'll start by saying how much I enjoyed what JJ did for the franchise. Yes, there was a couple minor things I wished were different but I think he really did a great job and I'm proud I got to be a part of it. When I saw JJ's 2009 version, I loved how he stayed true to a lot of things but with a modern up to date twist. The uniforms were great, the ships (IMHO) were cool, but most of all.... I loved how the actors "fit" their characters. The only real thing I thought should have been different was the phaser. Don't get me wrong.... I like it but considering how the uniforms were close to the TOS uniforms, I would have loved to see that in the weapon as well.

Anyway, before actual filming took place and everything was in pre production, I decided to come up with a really cool phaser and put it in JJ's hands. So, I enlisted the help of one of my Hollywood illustrator friends (Ray) to help come up with some ideas. I really only had my heart set on one concept but I also wanted to make sure we had enough ideas on the table for when that time came. Considering my illustrator bud Ray was a huge Trek fan, it was not hard to get him in on this. I had written down everything I wanted for my version of the phaser. I wanted this thing to do everything the TOS phaser did and more. After explaining everything to him about what I wanted for my concept, I asked him to draw it up in a professional illustration so that the art could also be put in front of JJ along with the built up version. Again, I already had my mind made up on how I would like the phaser to look so I left all the other concept ideas to Ray. Let me say, he came up with some amazing ideas. All of them better than the last.

So, after explaining to him what I wanted and all the details and functions, he went to work on the artwork. It wasn't soon after when he emailed me the first draft of my concept. Ray nailed it! Everything.... every detail I explained.... he got it right on the first try. I then went to work on what you see below. Ray began working on other ideas..... several weeks worth of ideas.

I began to CAD the concept in Solidworks. Now, for those of you that don't know me.... I tend to favor going overboard. I love props with tons of **** on them and all functioning.... even knowing most of it would never be used or seen on screen. Here's one example of how I look at things. Say you have to build a prop... a gadget. This gadget has access panels and screws etc. This prop (even if its the hero) would be build as a single solid piece and then the panels and screws painted to make it look like individual parts. I don't like that. I build my parts with a mechanical engineering frame of mind. All the panels and screws etc are all individual pieces and assembled to give the final look.... which looks extremely real. Now, some of you may say.... Kenney.... you're fool of ****. LOL Well, some of you have seen real hero props up close and know what I'm talking about. On screen, they may look good. They get "the shot". However, up close.... not so much. I have always tried to do more with my builds.... even if it meant more work. I have been told by friends of mine, in the business, that I do way too much. That's just me.

After completing the CAD model and double checking to make sure all the individual parts actually moved and worked in the CAD model, I 3d printed all the parts. I used my SLA machines for these parts. I have since started moving to polyjet after purchasing a Objet printer.

Look at this first pic of the concept phaser..... then look at the second pic of all the individual parts. Now you know how I like to design and build. The hero Enterprise phasers I made for the film are just as crazy. I love being creative and I love to challenge myself every time.

Enjoy!

Cancelled Project

Attachments

• Concept.jpg
    Concept.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 2,323
Last edited:
Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness "Concept" Phaser by Kenney's Custom Props, LLC

....and most of the parts that make up my "concept" phaser.

Attachments

• 3D Printed Parts.jpg
    3D Printed Parts.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,676
Last edited:

You're going to make a lot of people happy by them seeing this. Thank you ;)

laserpistol76

only if I can figure out this darn posting issues. For some reason I'm having issues with posting pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great to see all the detail and breakdown of the parts:thumbsup

Hey.... why is the thread not showing the pic but only when you click on it?

I will continue the story and add more pics tomorrow night for you guys.

I really like this concept! And I love the attention to all the mechanical details here, as well.

Actually, I think I like this design better than what they filmed- thanks for sharing this with us!

holy cow! kenny, that's an amazing design! it's like the classic and combat phasers had a baby! lol

I like it way better than what they went with

Kenney, that is beautiful! Especially the raw parts image. Your attention to detail and the homage to the original legacy of the phaser is awesome!!!

You do realize that you'll be pestered endlessly to sell a kit of this phaser, including by me.

Hope it's okay that I post the images here for you.

BTW, that is one clean printed set of parts. Was that output by your Viper?

Concept_zps66946410.jpg

3DPrintedParts_zps4a9dd060.jpg
]

I'm looking forward to more pics. I'm especially interested in seeing how the hand phaser seperates from the pistol mount.

Great stuff!!

Oh man, I LOVE that shade of blue! Such great work. It looks so very great, but I can maybe see why the filmmakers didn't use it ( maybe a bit "boxy" in comparison to the hyper ipod sleekness of the Enterprise?). Do you have any profile shots of it?

And thanks for explaining your thought processes in making your props. It's always nice to read about how someone goes into designing a piece like this.

Fantastic phaser. I personally don't like the one they used. just seems like a bad idea for a weapon...

I think this concept phaser fits into the new Trek world better. The retro looking one used in the movies doesn't seem to fit the white Apple store style Enterprise set.

Kenney, could you offer to sell prints of the multiple concept phaser drawings by Ray? More importantly, will you be offering a kit or finished build of this concept phaser. If so, count me in.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back