Here is a quick & dirty project: a Phaser I from the Search for Spock.
I have a Phaser I & II from this, but they were built to the information in "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" about 20 years ago... It is still one of my favorites, although it is solid wood and a bit rough. The P1 was the least accurate part of it, so I spent about 4 hours on Saturday and threw together a replacement.
The goal wasn't so much to build the ultimate replica, but rather to upgrade to something I could wear on a costume that would look acceptable up close. (That's kinda subjective, I know...)
I used only materials and supplies I had on hand- since I am just completing my tricorder build, Kydex seemed like the obvious choice for replacing the solid wood predecessor.
So, here we go: After making the forms out of pine (lots of power sanding) I used the press to get the basic shape, then the heat gun to work all the sides down-
Most of the wrinkly parts get cut off-
Then I have my basic shells. (The circular depression in the bottom shell is so I can epoxy in a magnet.)
I little bit of freehand detail work with the dremel, and a few parts to bond on, then glues the shells together...
This on won't light up (at least not anytime soon) and so the LEDs are being simulated with tape-
Getting close- comparing to Phase Pistol's...
That's it for the paint and the tape-
The magnet, installed-
And the final requirement, it had to fit my old P2.
I sized the magnet so that it would be easy to wear the P1 by itself on a costume. Not that we ever saw anyone do that in the films...
Hope you like it!