star trek fans... can anyone identify this prop?

darcjedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
a friend recently gave me this casting that he found while he was cleaning up his shop. it was in a drawer with part of a bajoran tricorder, so i thought it might be something from DS9, but so far i havent been able to identify it.

if anyone can figure out what this is supposed to be, i'd greatly appreciate it.

-Jeff

unknown_trek_prop.jpg

It looks like a Data PADD to me. It very well may be from DS9. Nice looking peice. It would look great as a finished prop.
Dve

Intersting... I'm not sure I've seen anything like that in TNG, DS9 or Voyager but it could have been a background prop or one made for an alien race that saw little screen time or possibly made for an episode and not shot.

Very interested to learn more about it though.

my thought's lean towards Klingon as well. What look like buttons kind look like the Klingon style. It could be a medical divice of some kind or a repair tool? :confused

Chris

it's not a Cardassian, Trill or Klingon padd. I believe that is a Jem Hadar Tricorder/Scanner. I've got pics at home.

Lowell

<div class='quotetop'>(Jlewis @ Sep 21 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1324042[/snapback]</div>
It's Cardassian. Used in one episode with Kira and her Cardassian nemesis search a planet for someone.
[/b]

Good eye. Season 4, Episode 5, Indiscretion. I don't have the episode in question but I found a cap that shows a glimpse of it. The hole is actually for the person's thumb so the image of the casting above is upside down. I've included the screen cap, a closeup and beside that the rotated casting in question.

j46334indiscretion_178q219.jpg

s42501indiscretion_178at219.jpg
c10119indiscretion_178bl219.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(darcjedi @ Sep 21 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]1324121[/snapback]</div>
sweet. now if i could get some nice reference photos that would be awesome.

thanks guys.
[/b]

There's the rub as they say... I'm a Trek gadget person and this one definately had the trek look to it but I couldn't place it. It only receives minimal screen time in "Indiscretion" and I'm not sure I've seen it in others. Maybe Eyes Only will have better reference pictures or someone that owns the episode can do some better caps. By the way... it appears from the cap that there is some kind of bubble or clear plexi protruding from the top in that large gap of the casting.

yeah there aren't that many caps you can do in that episode. it receives verry little screentime.

cardassian4.jpg

cardassian5.jpg

cardassian6.jpg

cardassian7.jpg

This is really about all the best ones.
Reason I didn't think it was a Cardassian tricorder is that this one is the one I think of when I see a Cardassian tricorder.
cardassiantri1.jpg

wow... thats definately an obscure piece. thanks for all the help guys, and thanks Lowell for the pics.

i wonder if there are more pics of this thing out there somewhere.

There are most definately other images around, I had seen it before, and it wasn't a screen-cap.. Could it have been in an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine?

Jay

It is a Cardassian Tricorder.
It also has a Scanner Loop that pulls from the side,that you view through to scan with.
It was built Mike Moore from Prop'er Effects at that time period, before we created HMS.
I made the metal ship wreckage that they were scanning in the film grab above.
Steve Horch
HMS

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back