Star Trek Captain's Chair arms -original couch. What is it worth?

Room8

I came upon this 1960's couch that definitely has the command chair arms on either side. Also, the cushioning is much the same, albeit longer. What would think this couch would be worth? I haven't seen many of these for sale, and have no reference point to go from as to the monetary value of the couch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 3Ee3I83Fa5La5N45K3d5m2cbf6baabdbd1aa7.jpg
    3Ee3I83Fa5La5N45K3d5m2cbf6baabdbd1aa7.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 305
I never noticed that before. if that's the arms they used. theirs no telling what someone would pay. don't know

4158787763_a9ecfd3aa4.jpg

They look a little long. Is there a matching chair that perhaps they used? Otherwise they may have cut them down?

If it is indeed the one I'm guessing it would fetch a good price.

Did a bit of research. The arms are indeed from a chair, not the couch. Although that couch has to be from the same set because it's VERY close.

two-chairs.jpg

(Found this comparison online, if it's your pic and you would like it to be removed just let me know)

I'm aware that they used a chair for the original command chair, but it looks like the arms are the same, and even the cushioning is the same in the middle as the command chair. I haven't seen a Madison chair (or couch) for sale before, so I am not sure what a fair price is for this couch. There are a couple of chairs that go along with the couch, but they are armless (same cushion dimensions). I looked online and they only thing that came close to finding a pic of an original was a picture of a two seater couch with the same arms and same cushioning.

I'm aware that they used a chair for the original command chair, but it looks like the arms are the same, and even the cushioning is the same in the middle as the command chair. I haven't seen a Madison chair (or couch) for sale before, so I am not sure what a fair price is for this couch. There are a couple of chairs that go along with the couch, but they are armless (same cushion dimensions). I looked online and they only thing that came close to finding a pic of an original was a picture of a two seater couch with the same arms and same cushioning.

Gotcha. I have no idea then. It's certainly close enough to the Madison office chair that someone would buy it as a "good enough" version. If you could confirm that the arms are the same size you would still probably get a good price. Hell, I know I'd want it. A captain's chair is on my to do list this summer.

So what are we talking, $200, $500, $1,000, or more? It's too bad that I can't find much on these chairs/couches on the internet. I was sure I would find something of significance.

There's no good frame of reference really. They just don't come up often enough.

Cool find though. Definitely a desirable piece.

I would try and get as much as you can.

They are very rare

So what are we talking, $200, $500, $1,000, or more? It's too bad that I can't find much on these chairs/couches on the internet. I was sure I would find something of significance.

I would try and get as much as you can.

They are very rare

I don't own it, but saw it for sale for $1000.00, which seems kinda' high, but again, I don't have anything to compare it to (in terms of others selling the same).

Have you tried asking over at the ASAP board? (Dewback Wing: ASAP, []Log into Yuku | Free forums, social networks, communities, chat rooms ) They have an entire thread dedicated to research and building replica Kirk chairs. I've not read it in some time but it was well over 100 pages when I was doing research.

I bought a replica pair of arm rests from a member there. They look incredible and cost me 1/10th of the price for the couch in question. And if you are handy with woodworking, plans are available there too.

Others have had great input but I'd say $1000 is darn high. It's always what the market will bear but that's crazy money to my mind.

Ted.
Prefect42.

I don't own it, but saw it for sale for $1000.00, which seems kinda' high, but again, I don't have anything to compare it to (in terms of others selling the same).

The sale price seems inline with that particular type of item (it IS rare). Mid-Century Modern furniture is making a comeback in interior design these days, so a lot of people are interested in these kind of pieces, Star Trek related or not.

Would I pay a grand for that couch? Probably not, but I own enough woodworking tools that I could make my own couch if need be. ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back