ST:ENT - Which 3M Bumpons?

Jeff_Haas

Taking a look at Mouser's site, there are a few different 3M Bumpons used in ST:ENT. Which ones get used where?!

Looks like they used white, black and grey.

There are two tapered square ones, they seem to be "tall" and "short". But they come in three sizes...

.30x.81
.12x.50
.23x.50

A picture of a PADD shows the shorter version but I can't tell how big. Some keyboard closeups seem to use the tall version. Etc.

Anyone have some that they can quickly measure?

Jeff

According to my research the size is .12x.50

Have a look here for the specifications: 3M Bumpon SJ5008

I have an Enterprise Padd Replica from Matt Munson and the bumpons also have this size.

That's also the size of the buttons that are on my wall comm that I bought from xscapesprops.com Looks accurate to the references I've seen.

Thanks, I had guessed that was the size but it's great to have confirmation.

It seems that the taller ones used for keyboards on panels only come in that size, so that was my clue.

One more question - the "camera" on the wall comm uses a transparent bumpon with blue behind it. From pictures it appears to be about half the width of the square buttons. So, is it...

0.312 inches?
0.375 inches?

I'm guessing .312 inches. Thanks!

I measured the one on my ENT-PADD. It's 0.386 inch. I'm guessing thats within the manufacturing tolerance of the bumpons. So it should be 0.375 inch.

Thanks for checking!

After some digging, I'm going to say they used both sizes. Check out these pics of real PADDs from prop auctions:

Medical PADD:
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/3/3282/padd-57.jpg

Engineering PADD:
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/3/3282/padd-27.jpg

PADD from Terra Prime:
http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops.../Star-Trek-Enterprise-TV-2001-movie-props.jpg

And a bunch of panels:
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/3/3282/panels-27.2.jpg

The Engineering PADD seems to use the larger size. The Medical PADD matches the size on the assorted panels.

I just recently purchased some bumpons from mouser.com

Bought two kinds of camera "eyes" because I wasn't sure which to get. I agree, the .375 do look the most close in size and shape. The other ones I got were the "small hemisphere clear" but they look too big, and profile isn't really totally a hemisphere like the .375 ones, slightly more squarish looking. But it's very possible and likely they used a variety of sizes. It's so hard to see!

BTW, do you know what size and font they used for the number decals? That's something I'm still looking into.

Last edited:
Yes, I think they used different size for the cameras.

The font for the numbers on the buttons is "Corporate Condensed". I think they used it bold. As for the size I would say on the buttons its 9.5 or 10 points.
The spacing between the numbers varies. I'm guessing from manually adding each number separatly.

BTW: The font used on labels in ENT is "Century Gothic".

BTW, do you know what size and font they used for the number decals? That's something I'm still looking into.

Yes, I think they used different size for the cameras.

The font for the numbers on the buttons is "Corporate Condensed". I think they used it bold. As for the size I would say on the buttons its 9.5 or 10 points.
The spacing between the numbers varies. I'm guessing from manually adding each number separatly.

BTW: The font used on labels in ENT is "Century Gothic".

I read somewhere that it was a Helvetica font for the numbers on the buttons.
You can buy them as a sheet of transfers, but not exactly sure where.
Matt Munson was doing a kit of the greebles for the PADDs years ago.
I'm guessing most craft stores would stock them, unfortunately not many here do in the UK.
Good luck in your search.

The number font was not Corporate Condensed or Century Gothic. Also, unless they changed the "bumpons" sometime after production; they are not an exact match either. Not compared to the production made pieces.

OK, Corporate Condensed is not an exact match. I didnt know about the Helvetica sheets.

Helvetica seems the be correct.

Here is a comparison with a comm panel from one of the auctions:

entcomm.jpg

Coprporate Condensed:
entcommcorporate.jpg

Helvetica:
entcommhelvetica.jpg

Corporate Condendes is close but Helvetica fits much better.

Sorry to bring this back to life, but I discovered something...

I finally got around to ordering some 3M Bumpons from Mouser. Great customer service, by the way. I highly recommend them!

Anyway, I discovered that more than one size of Bumpons was used, depending on the size of the prop.

Bumpons used on small props, like the Padd, Universal Translator, and the wall panel are:
SJ5008
White, Black, Grey

Bumpons used on larger instrument panels are:
SJ5018
White, Black, Grey

Take a look at this picture for the large ones.

nx_panel_2-57.jpg

It's easy to mix the two up, like this guy did:
Star Trek PADD (Cabin CL-5000P Light Panels) - YouTube
Go to 2:25 - he's using the big ones where he should have used the small ones.

The pad you use have in the picture was used in one of the episode that was supposed to be when archer was younger. Thus they needed to make things looks different. Larger buttons and "bigger tech"
They also used them on older earth starships to really sell the idea that they use older tech against Nx01's newer.

Sorry to bring this back to life, but I discovered something...

I finally got around to ordering some 3M Bumpons from Mouser. Great customer service, by the way. I highly recommend them!

Anyway, I discovered that more than one size of Bumpons was used, depending on the size of the prop.

Bumpons used on small props, like the Padd, Universal Translator, and the wall panel are:
SJ5008
White, Black, Grey

Bumpons used on larger instrument panels are:
SJ5018
White, Black, Grey

Take a look at this picture for the large ones.

View attachment 231652

Thanks for that, I didn't think about what episode...but the graphic gives it away.

It could be that since they were in space suits testing the warp drive, they made the buttons bigger so they would work for someone wearing gloves.

This YouTube Video belongs to me, It's my Video Channel.

Jeremiah McClellan

Last edited:
Hi Jeremiah,

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you or misrepresent anything...I just think you used bumpons that were too big, based on what the video looks like.

On the other hand, congrats on actually getting a Cabin light panel...they're not made anymore and when they do pop up on ebay, they're pretty expensive. If I ever get my own 3D printer I may try to get a scan of one and see if a replica can be printed. (Along with other stuff!)

Jeff

Hi Jeremiah,

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you or misrepresent anything...I just think you used bumpons that were too big, based on what the video looks like.

On the other hand, congrats on actually getting a Cabin light panel...they're not made anymore and when they do pop up on ebay, they're pretty expensive. If I ever get my own 3D printer I may try to get a scan of one and see if a replica can be printed. (Along with other stuff!)

Jeff

It's Kool Jeff, Nice to meet you.
Just remember if it's a prop it might be from 1 of us here ;)

It was made a few years back.
I got it from a friend. He too had no references to go by so he best guessed it.
(It's been good enough for me)
I wired the LED "camera" myself to be different & it really looks like it belongs there.

I actually have 10 cl-5000p's + the all ready made "hallpass" = 11 panels

The others are still waiting to either be made into Nx-01 or some kind of TNG Movie Variant PADD.

More unfinished projects..........
..I'll never die.....Lol. :)

Jeremiah

On a related note.
Does anyone have some of the lenticular vinyl that makes up the speaker part of the Comm Panel, I'd be willing to buy a sheet or two if anyone has any?

Thanks

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back