Smooth-On's XTC-3D High Performance Print Coating

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I picked up a kit of Smooth-On's XTC-3D print coating today after reading about it last week. It's a two-part epoxy that brushes on in thin layers. It's clear, but can be tinted with a variety of pigments, including cold casting powders. It self-levels, filling in striations left from 3D printing. After 2 hours (or as little as 15 minutes with heat applied) the coating cures into a glossy finish that can be sanded and painted.

I gave it a try today and I'm fairly impressed with the results! A little bit goes a long way, and it really does remove a ton of the finishing work for 3D printed pieces out of the equation. Here are a couple examples. These were printed at .3mm resolution in ABS with one layer of XTC-3D applied:

20141113_214619_zps5ksm7jpa.jpg

20141113_214529_zpsbwjdcyit.jpg

20141113_214341_zpsxvie9yxd.jpg

And a comparison of before and after:

20141113_214414_zpssmxybeqj.jpg

20141113_214311_zpsdgvwjq57.jpg

All that is left for these pieces is a quick sand and I'm ready for primer. The great thing about this product is that it isn't limited to just 3D printed parts. It's applications are pretty limitless... This would be a great coating for CNCed/carved insulation foam, pepakura, Worbla, and probably even EVA foam. Definitely worth giving it a look!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! I wasn't aware of this product, but I definitely think I'll be getting some. I hope you continue to post throughout the finishing process :)

Two Thumbs Way Up!! Went to Reynolds and picked some up Wednesday for $12. For once, a product that delivers as promised.. I coated 3 prints and several foam pieces. Hardly used any of it. Added color with no problem. My wife coated fabric for an upcoming project. Will continue to test, but so far have not found its limits.

Probably one of the more useful threads on the rpf and it is just beginning. If this pans out, it will help all of us! Thank you!

I gave the parts a quick sanding and coat of primer last night. At first inspection there were only a few small areas that will need some attention, but I think we have a winner!

Very nice find! Going to let others do some experimenting on other materials and see how it works for them before I head to my local Reynolds and pick up a kit. But it looks very promising as to what I could use it for.

I was just looking at this earlier today. Glad someone on here tried it out. Ordering some with my next molding order!!!

Cool I'll be giving this a try as well. I'd been using a similar technique with thinned down polyester resin and it worked well also.

I've got the sample kit on order, they need to put this stuff in to a pump bottle or something.

This could potentially save me many, many hours of tedious sanding and finishing work on my 3d printed parts.

Welp, I think that's the end of sculpting the old-fashioned way. Think I should just switch to CAD and other 3D programs, now.

Welp, I think that's the end of sculpting the old-fashioned way. Think I should just switch to CAD and other 3D programs, now.

You still have a few years. Its still expensive to jump into and can be a huge pain in the ass...especially if you have a overpriced printer like I do...or I should say I have for work... which I also use for non work related projects.

I'm also new to learning CAD. I just finished my first fully designed project over the weekend and will be finishing them tonight with this using some brass powder.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that officially sold me. Great review! Thanks for doing it.

It was scary how fast it showed up at my door. A little goes a long way. This really is a must if you use PLA

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back