SingleSeat's Boba Fett blaster -- The Empire Strikes Back

SingleSeat

Hi everyone, I've been narry a contributor for some time now, so in a vain effort to build up my post-count, here are some pictures of my latest build. Boba Fett's EE-3 blaster from the Empire Strikes Back.

Actually, I'm throwing it up here since more than a few RPF members contributed parts over the course of a few years for this thing and I didn't want to just disappear into the wind on them, haha. And that, it is...a collection of parts. It's an authentic Webley & Scott No.1 Mk1 flare gun topped with real parts (MPP, molex, etc) and weathered to match the screen-used piece.

It's heavy and awkward, but it's mean looking and that's all I really wanted. Hope you all like it.

PS. I talked about this on MPPC, but I don't want to get into it here – I'll discuss the real prop all day, but I won't talk about how I made this replica or the parts I used (for reasons I stated on MPPC). It is what it is. I'm not here to wave the I've-got-a-secret flag, but that I have some good reasons not to get into it. This is just a big thanks to those who helped create it along the way; you know who you all are.

Last edited:
Hands down the best, most authentic replica I've seen! Not sure about what all went on over at MPPC as I never frequent it, but rest assured, from one Boba ESB nut to another, it's SAWEEET!

Mine has "most" original parts with the exception of the Webley which is a Hand Schaub bronze beauty:)

Kudos on a great peice:thumbsup

Thanks a bunch man. No, you didn't miss anything dramatic at all.

It seems I've been secretly admiring your blaster for some time now!! Um, ok, that didn't sound right.

Last edited:
It came out really nice! Most accurate one I've ever seen.
I have a real Webley, molex, split plugs (2 real, 2 cast), ASI scope and rings, scope rail, and v8 parts.
My replica pieces are the sling, red box, clamps, Larbel MPP.
So I take it you're not discussing what you used for the clamps?

I have no idea what you said on the MPPC since I don't frequent that board and I can't find the thread.
Got a link?

Last edited:
When I clicked on the first pic, before reading the description (ie your

post)I thought this was the real deal and an old pic from LFL:eek.

Most impressive piece.:thumbsup

i'm not an ESB guy, but that's a beautiful prop right there!

i have GOT to get me one of those scopes! that's the only part of my rifle i'm not happy with.

Not sure what your reason is for not sharing part info since you already have yours, but if you or friends need to find more I guess I can understand. I've done that myself.
I hope you can share the info in the future or make replicas or source parts or something!

Even though it's ugly, the ESB version has always been my favorite.

I'll second what lonepigeon said - love to hear more about what went into it. Great Job!!

Wow, very impressive.

Can't believe you cut up a real MPP

Wow

Dan

No worries. I didn't. The MPP just tucks into the barrel and the mounts hold it there. I could take it back out if I wanted to. You're only seeing the first 4 or 5 inches. I also didn't cut the notch out of the real Webley's stock -- it's a replacement stock from a gun shop that sold old Webley stuff. The stock (just the wood) that came with the Webley is packed away. ...Just couldn't force myself to cut into the old stock.

Wow, thanks for the comments everyone!

A good friend of mine will try to make this prop. Hopefully to put all fears to rest, this thing is about a 90/10 split between found- and scratch- parts. All the known found parts are there. At some point the similarities have to end -- it certainly doesn't have the same serial number as the original prop, so it will always be just a replica. Of course the sling is scratch' since I had to get the right thickness, color and mounting method. A typical Tandy-type leather source won't give you the right strip thickness for a 3/4" strap of leather.

Last edited:
I imagine it's kind of the same reason you don't want to share your photos of the re-used ESB Vader saber photos in ROTJ.

The identity of a found part is not the same as copyrighted photos that don't belong to me/you.

If no one shared the identity of found parts this hobby would go nowhere fast.
We all owe others for their research even Singleseat (who would have had to spend a lot more time searching for parts if others hadn't shared the identities of the Webley, MPP, ASI scope, molex connectors, and split plugs).
I can appreciate that there are reasons he can't share right now though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I can tell there might be some hard feelings here, but don't sweat it. This is only a blaster pic thread. I know you guys have been in this for a looong time, and are among those who've I've said elsewhere came of age with building these replicas, finding their parts, and the explosion of information that the internet brought! Things are different now and the hobby has evolved into what we see today. A lot of people (new and old) don't like it and a lot of old hats don't like change...nothing new there. Again, it is what it is (the state of the hobby today). I'm just rolling with it. Eventually the whole Fett prop story will be told.

Indeed I have many people to thank for helping me get this far. Even as recently as lonepigeon for the MPP/EE-3 connection. Big thanks! And Gino's work on non-Fett fronts may be just as exciting. Yet everything here and all over the Fett prop part hunt is worth questioning...(Chris, that is why I was pressing you months ago on the MPP vs. Heiland proof, haha). Even the vaunted ASI 4x20 is not proven in name, only in appearance (my blaster has an ASI). All too often are hobbyists so quick to build a replica and just accept those parts found by others to be the omni-omni'ed truth without taking a hard look at it themselves. The classic example is when I see people stating as fact that the greeblie under the V-8 kit connecting rod on this blaster is the V-8 kit pulley. Or that the ESB sidearm is a darn Nemrod - horsepucky. No proof of either one, but many hobbyists mow right over the information without noticing and build, build, build.

So with credit where credit it due and thanks to follow, please correct me if I'm wrong here and help me fill in the blanks guys and I'll edit the post (this stuff was found a long time ago so the info may be off).

ASI 4x20 scope............................................. Lordsandy
AMP/Molex connectors.................................... Steveday72
MPP flashtube............................................... Lonepigeon
AM Aerial/Earth Connectors ("split plugs" slang)... ???
Revel V-8 Connecting rods............................... Spidey2222

Last edited:
Awesome job on tracking down some super elusive parts! The finished product really looks great and the time you spent on it and the attention to detail really makes a top notch piece. Congrats!

The two bumps underneath the flash tube are a feature often missed out on other ESB blasters I've seen :thumbsup

Those are actually part of the spring clips that make up the mounts. When you squeeze those two tabs together the ring opens wider. If you look closely you can actually see the same two tabs on the rear mounting ring but because of the larger diameter of the Webley barrel back there they are squeezed together.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back