Second Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Everyone,

So I recently picked up one of Russ's fantastic Baker Sonic Screwdrivers and it got me to thinking...

Patrick Troughton (the second Doctor) was the first to use this famous device. I believe at the time is was just a pen light. Does anyone know what penlight it was? Was it made specifically for the show? Has anyone ever made a repro of this simple prop? If not I may give it a go myself...

Did a search and the best close up pic I could find was this from "War Games":

wargames3.jpg

Just looks to me like a metal tube with a light at the end, nothing more.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

The closest I've seen anyone come to finding/replicating the 2nd Doctor's sonic was this:
Gem Grading Pen Light

*WARNING! OrganicMechanic starts rambling in 3...2...1...

In truth though, I'm thinking that I need to go back and re-watch a few William Hartnell episodes. He used a pen light as well, albeit a different model-no sound-never called it a SS, in a way that makes me think of it as a sonic. If I can convince myself that it could be a sonic screwdriver I think it'd make a great "extended emitter" version of Troughton's SS. We'll see. lol

But in that event, drawing up plans to combine the two would be rather simple.

I have a penlight at home that looks pretty close but is the wrong color. They do make it in silver though.
I'll take some pics when I get home from work.

The closest I've seen anyone come to finding/replicating the 2nd Doctor's sonic was this:
Gem Grading Pen Light

In truth though, I'm thinking that I need to go back and re-watch a few William Hartnell episodes. He used a pen light as well, albeit a different model-no sound-never called it a SS, in a way that makes me think of it as a sonic. If I can convince myself that it could be a sonic screwdriver I think it'd make a great "extended emitter" version of Troughton's SS. We'll see. lol

That penlight is *really* close. Looks like you just need to extend the light itself a little more out of the casing and it would be bang on. I'm actually going through the Hartnell episodes now, I'll keep an eye out for it as I watch. :D

I have a penlight at home that looks pretty close but is the wrong color. They do make it in silver though.
I'll take some pics when I get home from work.

Awesome! :D

So the penlight I have is a "Stylus Streamlight" they have various colors of LED available, mine is blue. The "barrell" can also be had in a variety of colors. Off the top of my head, Black, Silver, Red, and Blue.
You'll notice in the later couple of pictures that I have a white LED, silver barreled penlight made by Energizer.

Easy answer to the Hartnell query.. "The Edge of Destruction" or "The Brink of Disaster" same story, just the two different episodes.. IIRC he used it in the second one and was using it to explain about a spring getting jammed in one of the TARDIS mechanisms.

Gem Grading Pen Light

That Gem grading Light looks fab. I think Straker found that one a while back. Good pick.

This was previously covered in the 1st run of RussRep Sonics thread last fall but here's my post on it again:

On the subject of the 2nd Doctor Sonic Screwdriver - aka a silver Penlight - I found this at Target a few months back for our Ten Doctor Cosplay at Galllifrey. It's a decent match.

7459371_f61a283959.jpg

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

Lowe's Home Improvement: Buy Kitchen Cabinets, Paint, Appliances and Flooring

Right shape and size. You can rub off the Energizer logo with some nail polish remover and easily take the pocket cip off. The light itself should be a little flatter and the original probably wasn't an LED but it really looks great - overall the best I have found out there and it's only $6.00.

The only other option I almost got was this:

7459370_db037b5d01_o.jpg

Eddie : Target Search Results

Which has the right kind of flat light on the end but it's a bit on the thick side and the Eddie Bauer logo seems etched in so you'd have to always hide it or or paint over it or something. But still not too bad at $13.00.

Another option that was found in the same thread:

http://www.allheart.com/ah352.html

Hartnell screencaps:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/customized-rb-replicas-sonic-screwdriver-79955/#post1129032

Last edited:
Easy answer to the Hartnell query.. "The Edge of Destruction" or "The Brink of Disaster" same story, just the two different episodes.. IIRC he used it in the second one and was using it to explain about a spring getting jammed in one of the TARDIS mechanisms.

Just watched that serial and I'm pretty sure it's just being used as a flashlight because the TARDIS lights were powered down. That was my impression anyways, it wasn't used like a tool at all.

Just watched that serial and I'm pretty sure it's just being used as a flashlight because the TARDIS lights were powered down. That was my impression anyways, it wasn't used like a tool at all.

Yep, definitely just a light. The line directly proceeding it's use it "Just a moment, I can't very well see the switch without a light now can I?"

yeah, it was.. he even refers to it as being one.
To me, it looks nearly identical to the energizer one but of course, I could be wrong. He talks about how when he presses the button on the back the light comes on but when he lets go a spring turns it back off.

Yep, definitely just a light. The line directly proceeding it's use it "Just a moment, I can't very well see the switch without a light now can I?"

Yeah, just watched it again myself. Bummer. Oh well, would have been a cool little project.

Yeah, just watched it again myself. Bummer. Oh well, would have been a cool little project.

It certainly would have! :) I'm going through all of the old Hartnell stories now, if I find a "tool" that he uses that catches my eye I may see if I can reproduce it. I want to eventually make a little tool bag full of items from all of the Doctors.

Ah, but wait! Correct me if I'm wrong (but I'm not :) ) Does not the 11th Doctor use his Sonic as a flashlight at times? The latest episode for one.
So... reversing that logic (and stretching it somewhat): If the current Sonic can be used as a flashlight, then the fact that the 1st Doctor uses his device as a flashlight does not preclude the possibility of it also being a Sonic.

Thoughts?

Works for me.
It's been inferred (recently or in the novels.. cannot recall) that he did have one in his first incarnation.

I dunno. I see why you say that, but I think it may just be a trick of the light.

If it were round and just a trick of the light, wouldn't the shadow cast by his thumb extend all the way down the side of the light instead of just the top, like it would if it were flat at the top?

It's round... just check THIS pic.
Doc2Sonic.jpg

edit: I just ran through "The War Games" a bit and this takes place at about 11:50(ish) in episode 3 of "The War Games"

Last edited:
It's round... just check THIS pic.
Doc2Sonic.jpg

YUP! It is rounded off a little with the tip of the light bulb just protruding from the tip. Not bad.

I did post a pic of the light I found and I think it could be modded a little to match this but it IS the gem grading tool posted above. It's not a bad pen light for the money either.

28km3vn.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back