Rotocasting Machine

It's less amusing? Seriously, he is using the search function, so I give him credit there. He loses credit for the necro, though...especially when he doesn't read through the thread where the plans are posted on the above link. Too effing funny.

Alright--I didnt read the whole thread--so shoot me!!!!:rolleyes:unsure

Just found this link for a DIY rotocast machine. Hope it helps someone!

http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/rotomold.html

That's the one I made, it works great!

I never put gearing on it, I simply mounted the mold in the rotocaster purposely off balance, so when it spun the inner frame spun opposite of the outer one.

I used an cordless drill to spin it.

ss_pod_03.jpg

ss_pod_05.jpg

ss_ty_027.jpg

ss_ty_026.jpg

Rel, I like your design, simple and to the point at what you need. No bells and whistles to confuse matters. and of course , it makes incredible products.

That's the one I made, it works great!

I never put gearing on it, I simply mounted the mold in the rotocaster purposely off balance, so when it spun the inner frame spun opposite of the outer one.

I used an cordless drill to spin it.

Freaking Awesome!!! Great Job--My next project!!!!

Ok--after feeling pretty stupid for not reading the whole thread and not seeing the plans link until it was so graciously brought to my attention:lol here is where I am--

I was at my buddys house who is also my trusted mechanic. Well, while he was replacing my brakes, rotors. link pin, etc on my car, I putzed around with some extra material he had lying around.
Here is what I did in about an hour while he was working on my car:
This is made of steel U channed shelving stock. The corners are just tacked for now as we were in the middle of other things. Since he is a mechanic, He is getting some spline type pulleys and a timing belt with a tensioner for the main frame rotation.
We are using high strength bearings and will make a sturdy stand for this to go into. The motor will be mounted on a steel plate on the side and everything will be modular so it can be dissasembled and reassembled easily if need be. It will be a heavy unit for sure, but it will also give me the capacity to do larger molds if desired. The outer frame is 36 inches inside and the inner frame is about 32 inches inside.

I will be using a modified bench grinder for the motor with a rheostat on it to control the speed. We will also have steel worm gears on the top to make the rotation transition.
Total material cost $0.00
Total time so far 45mins-1hr.
Awesome Rotocast machine-Priceless :)

Will post more pics as we progress

We are also contemplating making this a bit smaller and out of aluminum. We will see after this one gets done and we see how it works out.
If it does, we are thinking about making a few others in different sizes.--But that is a subject for the JY if it comes to that.

Last edited:
Re: Rotocasting Machine New pics

Here are some progress pictures. Got the frames and supports welded up today. So far my total investment is $59.00
I already have people with things for me to cast for them and it isnt even done!!. This will do some pretty large molds too.

Here's plans I found on Youtube- I'd planned on making one myself, but use metal tubing from Home Depot instead of the wood used in the demo.

Re: Rotocasting Machine Progress

Here is the progress that I have made so far--We used gears from a rear end on a truck and the motor will probably be a window motor from a car--LOL--my buddy is a mechanic--cant ya tell??

So far it works great. We have to hook up the motor pivot point and then the drive belt and good to go!!!

Last edited:
Well, we have it pretty much together-- I forgot my camera so I couldnt take any pics. We used a motor from a car power window--HOLY C#@P!! I didnt think it would spin that sucker so quick. We didnt have the gears hooked up to rotate the interior frame, but WOW!!! I may have to find some kind of rheostat if it doesnt slow down when we get all the gearing hooked up. I didnt think those lil ole motors were so powerful.. Lots of torque.

Ill post a video when we get it going completely.

Yea, you'll have to be careful with wiper motors. Many R2 builders still use wiper motors to power their R2 foot drives. You may want to pay attention to trash days or Craig's List and see if you can scavenge a good motor and speed control from a treadmill. Another option would be to hit Harbor Freight and buy a cheap drill or winch.

Yea, you'll have to be careful with wiper motors. Many R2 builders still use wiper motors to power their R2 foot drives. You may want to pay attention to trash days or Craig's List and see if you can scavenge a good motor and speed control from a treadmill. Another option would be to hit Harbor Freight and buy a cheap drill or winch.

I have a drill as a backup!!!(y)thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back