Rocketeer - "We're gonna need a helmet"

dualedge

Sr Member
I don't get to show off things I've done very often so I wanted to take the time to share this helmet I just completed for a fellow finhead. I've got to give him a huge thanks too since he was infinitely patient with the ridiculous amount of time it took me to finish it (mainly due to having two small kids that monopolize 95% of my free time.)

This is an Acme kit. Out of the box it looks simple since it's all one piece but they really need some extra work if you prefer a slightly more accurate finished prop.

I can post some further info about it later.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

She's a beauty Mr. Steel!

Actually, I'm starting to think you are incredibly selfish. You appear to be spending WAY too much time with your kids instead of doing this sort of thing more often....What's in it for us? I'm thinking "foster home" so that you can dazzle us with this stuff full time. Are you with me or not?

Otis Sinclair
Neville Sinclair's great-grandson

You did a great job. I love it. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to finish it?

Thanks for all the kind words!

I've been working on this one off-and-on for over a year now. I don't know how many hours it translates into since it was really - and I do mean REALLY spread out - a little here and there as family and work responsibilities permitted. When our second baby arrived, free time went from little to negative digits. Still, I think that generally speaking I probably do tend to spend more time tweaking them than anybody else I know of... :love

Repairing Lonnie's helmet is next and I promise it will NOT take as long :ninja

:lol @ Otis... don't tempt me :lol

Very nice. Does it have a liner and chin strap?

Thanks, guys!

Lost, it doesn't have a liner but I'm going to add a chin strap. I've toyed with the notion of trying to make a liner but that's a project for another day.

Art, yeah, I'm lucky in that I owned a screen-used helmet for about 5 years. I sacrificed it to help the family finances when we discovered our second child was on the way. I really miss it but at least I can claim I had the best reference available. I've been trying to replicate the painted look of it for the past 7 or 8 years. I've got it pretty close though I'm always trying to figure out how to get it closer too... such is the life of the obsessed fan. :$

Firefox, I don't know if I can really boil it down to a number of steps but I can definitely try to outline it.

Of course, in my opinion, the tweaks to the helmet before you paint it are the most important details - particularly attention to the eyes, mouth, fin and neck opening. Those details really make the helmet and for me, account for 90% of the work. After that, I start the painting with primer and a base coat of Testor's gold spray paint. I don't think the exact gold hue is as important for the base coat.

I cover the helmet in Antique gold rub-n-buff (sp?) and then start muddying the surface up with a mix of acrylic paints that just sit on top of the rub-n-buff. Then I work back and forth with the paint and the rub-n-buff until it starts getting the right mottled look. That's the part that's hard to explain... It just needs to have that mottled appearance... it's one of those things that easier to show than explain.

Rub-n-buff is kind of a tough material to work with because it goes on extremely opaque so it's difficult to apply it without completely blowing away the other paint.

Once it's painted, I seal it with a few coats of Testor's dull cote and then Testor's gloss cote. That makes the finish uniform.

Anyway, that's the current technique... I'm always trying to find a better way to do it and this is easier than what I used to do.

Dualedge, your Buckets have always inspired me. I am thankful to have had them as the example when I had to do the finish work on my Acme helmet. Great job!

Utterly fantastic!
Once I get some nice photos of my recently finished helmet, I would love to share them. Your pics of the SU helmet were my inspiration.

Thanks, guys! Glad to know I've inspired some fellow finheads :)

I can upload some pics tonight to show you some corrections you can make to the Acme to really improve it. They can be subtle (and rather tedious to do) but I think once you see a comparison, it's hard to not notice the details on helmets that don't have it.

I don't get to show off things I've done very often so I wanted to take the time to share this helmet I just completed for a fellow finhead. I've got to give him a huge thanks too since he was infinitely patient with the ridiculous amount of time it took me to finish it (mainly due to having two small kids that monopolize 95% of my free time.)

This is an Acme kit. Out of the box it looks simple since it's all one piece but they really need some extra work if you prefer a slightly more accurate finished prop.

I can post some further info about it later.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg
Simply Awesome!!!!(y)thumbsup

Thats a great looking helmet.

I know it would be wrong and not screen accurate but if I had one I would be so tempted to smooth out the weld lines :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back