data-ad-slot="1369189895">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 2, 2007, 1:44 PM - The Rifleman Props #1

Anyone have any Chuck Connors The Rifleman props, pics, or movies? I have the rifle. I also made my Henry 22 rifle with a lever.
    http://pastorjedisabers.com/DSC00401.JPG
    Last edited by Pastor Jedi; Oct 2, 2007 at 3:57 PM. Reason: new pictures
  2. data-ad-slot="8650514066">
    data-ad-slot="7832116010">
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Oct 2, 2007, 4:43 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #2

Good show. I like those weird lever actions, like the Riflemans, or the sawed off 'hog-legs'.
    Strange hair-do in your photo.
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 2, 2007, 4:51 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #3

Ooo! Cool, "off the beaten path" subject! Hehe, lightsabers and blasters get pretty boring after awhile!

Good Luck!

-Sarge
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 2, 2007, 6:15 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #4

SgtFang said: View Post
    Ooo! Cool, "off the beaten path" subject! Hehe, lightsabers and blasters get pretty boring after awhile!

Good Luck!

-Sarge
    I thought I would broaden my interests. Anyone ever watch the shows, or am I the only old fogie? I got that picture back in the early 1970's. The guns actually fire.
    Last edited by Pastor Jedi; Oct 2, 2007 at 6:38 PM.
    From
    Michigan
    Oct 2, 2007, 6:38 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #5

I loved that show, and to tell the truth I have never seen a prop from that show, though I have seen the hogs leg(mares leg) on firefly, Zoe's gun.
    Oct 2, 2007, 7:25 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #6

I was a big fan of the show! Haven't thought about it for years - thanks for reminding me!
  8. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 2, 2007, 9:42 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #7

I must be old cause I remember watching the Rifleman Religiously!
    But for those of you who want to go back even further how about a show called "Branded"!
    If you do not know this is also a Chuck Connors western about a cavalry officer who is unjustly (like it was ever justly back then) branded a coward!
    The reason I mention it is because there are two weapon props that would be unique to that show!
    One is his cavalry sword, which is broken when he is booted out.
    And the other I am unsure about because it is his broken sword!
    The character kept the broken sword and if I remember later in the show he had it resharpened so that it had a usable tip! Making it either a short sword or a long knife! So you could have two different props of the same piece!
    Best to all, Petseal
    Oct 2, 2007, 10:07 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #8

I watched the show in syndication, but not original run. I remember that calling Lucas a "Sod Buster" was sure-fire death, as certain as going down to the planet with Kirk Spock and McCoy!

Props? Enamel tinware plates and coffee cups, hats, barbed wire, a saddle. That is about all I can thin of. It really wasn't a prop type show.

I don't know if this was a prop, but didn't he have a wanted poster in "OklahomaTerritory"?
    From
    Columbus, OH
    Oct 2, 2007, 11:15 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #9

Always been a fan of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and the Mare's Leg Steve McQueen carried. Between that and the loop lever Winchester John Wayne carried, I'd die happy...
    From
    San Diego
    Oct 2, 2007, 11:31 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #10

Back in June, the original Rifleman's Winchester was auctioned off with a winning bid of $21,500. It was originally part of the Stembridge Arms movie rental collection. Stembridge Arms supplied most of the TV & Movie industry with firearms for a variety of productions such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke and Combat!
    Branded (1965) was in color came after The Rifleman (1958). I haven't seen an episode of Branded since it originally aired. And yes, I'm older than dirt!

Randy in San Diego
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 3, 2007, 12:20 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #11

SG-RB said: View Post
    Back in June, the original Rifleman's Winchester was auctioned off with a winning bid of $21,500. It was originally part of the Stembridge Arms movie rental collection. Stembridge Arms supplied most of the TV & Movie industry with firearms for a variety of productions such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke and Combat!
    Branded (1965) was in color came after The Rifleman (1958). I haven't seen an episode of Branded since it originally aired. And yes, I'm older than dirt!

Randy in San Diego
    Man thats a kick in the fanny!
    I was positive Branded aired first! I must of "remembered" it this way because I can recall watching the Rifleman in reruns (after all I'm not THAT old)! I do not remember hearing about Branded until several years ago! One of those cable stations that airs nothing but old series ran it and I got hooked for a while!
    So I guess I made that fatal blunder...I assumed!
    Well even us old dogs learn new tricks, weather we want to or not!

One thing that does bother me was I never did find out who he was protecting to get "Branded" in the first place, or why! So if anyone knows I would be appreciative to being enlightened! Or is this one of those it got canceled before the answer was reveled!

Also jts1031 mentioned Josh Randell's Mare's Leg! I do not remember were I herd the story but that sawed off Winchester almost stopped production on the first day of shooting! It seems that firearms that are cut down are illegal, even back then. From what I remember there was a lot of scrambling around to get whatever paperwork was needed so they could use the weapon!
    I also heard it was a nightmare to fire, no stability I guess!

Hope I have spread knowledge, I have!
    My best to all, Petseal
    From
    Hollywoodland
    Oct 3, 2007, 1:35 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #12

My friend who I used to work at the Hollywood Wax Museum picked up a little souvineer from Movieland when they closed.

This is how it looked at Movieland just before closing, but now he has it on display in his office at the Hollywood Wax

Steve
    Oct 3, 2007, 2:16 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #13

Petseal said: View Post
    I also heard it was a nightmare to fire, no stability I guess!
    Probably due to the fact that the trigger guard was modified, when you squeezed the lever action closed an added screw in the trigger guard hit the trigger and it fired the rifle... A dangerous combination

The modifications can be seen in the pictures in the first post here, or in this replica...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=19584

or in more detail here

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/therifle.htm
    From
    Northfield, Vermont
    Oct 3, 2007, 7:51 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #14

terryr said: View Post
    Strange hair-do in your photo.
    That's a portfolio picture from when his name was still Chuck Trump...
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 3, 2007, 7:59 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #15

[QUOTE=exoray;426966]Probably due to the fact that the trigger guard was modified, when you squeezed the lever action closed an added screw in the trigger guard hit the trigger and it fired the rifle... A dangerous combination

The modifications can be seen in the pictures in the first post here, or in this replica...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=19584

Maurice "Moe" Hunt is the guy who made my lever pictured at the start of this post. I spoke with him a number of times when he lived in California.
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 3, 2007, 8:45 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #16

Here's a link to a guy who makes them demonstrating the rifle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzJ6nn7ttEE
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 3, 2007, 9:00 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #17

exoray said: View Post
    Probably due to the fact that the trigger guard was modified, when you squeezed the lever action closed an added screw in the trigger guard hit the trigger and it fired the rifle... A dangerous combination
    You may be right but I was referring to the cut down Winchester used by Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive! The modifications to the lever may have had an effect but I'm sure who ever wrote the piece I read said it was due primarily to not having a stock and a shortened barrel!
    Man it must of been annoying on the set when the gun needed to be fired several times in a scene! I wonder with the shortened barrel and cartridge tube how many rounds would actually fit in it? It must of been three or four shots max then-CUT-reload-ACTION-repeat till bad guy is dead!
    My curiosity has been peaked so I'm going to do a little looking around and see what info is out there!
    I just realized that I am not even forsaking my beloved Star Trek! I can recall one episode of the Original, the Next Generation and Enterprise that were westerns!
    Have fun, Petseal
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2000
    From
    Toledo, Ohio
    Oct 3, 2007, 11:27 AM - Re: The Rifleman Props #18

Encore Western has been running the entire Rifleman series from start to end. Interesting to see all the guest stars who appeared on the show.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 3, 2007, 12:41 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #19

SSRN Seaview said: View Post
    Encore Western has been running the entire Rifleman series from start to end. Interesting to see all the guest stars who appeared on the show.
    For me that is one of the best reasons for watching some of those old shows!
    Later Petseal
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 3, 2007, 1:42 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #20

Well I spent some time trying to find out how many bullets Steve McQueen's Winchester carried! I did find a couple of sites that stated Josh Randell called his gun "Mare's Laig" because it kicked from both ends!
    Then I came across this site...

http://www.bountyhunterspecial.com/

They are called Eagle Squadron Products! On there site they sell several versions of this rifle, two that even fire live ammo. You have to pay a special fee because the barrel is under sized and there are a few states were it is illegal to own one that fires live rounds!
    Theres pics of the guns and info, about buying! And then to my surprise about half way down is "John Wayne - American" and they have four Winchesters each with a different styled over-sized lever ring that he used in different movies!
    Then last but not least is the Rifleman himself Chuck Connors and his Rifle!
    Man I tell ya IF I ever won a lottery or something Canadian Customs would go nuts! In case I forgot to mention the Winchester lever action rifle has always been my number one favorite rifle! So to find replicas of them as they were used by my favorite TV stars and not one but 4 different versions used by JOHN WAYNE! I am honestly speechless!
    I truly wish that when my parents brought us kids over from England that we had landed in the USA! I can't find a toy gun over here and there you can buy a fully functional replica of a JW Winchester and go shot gofers!
    By the way I was exaggerating about finding a toy gun over here! You can BUT if you want to buy it you need a permit, a license, six waivers, permission from a local judge and six months of counseling with a priest!
    I'm going to have a good cry now, so enjoy the site, Petseal
    From
    Columbus, OH
    Oct 3, 2007, 1:57 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #21

Mare's Legs are legal, but tend to be treated as handguns, not rifles. Bit of trivia: The rifle was chambered for .44-40, however the cartridges in Steve McQueens belt were .45-70 because they looked much more impressive...

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...
    From
    Indiana
    Oct 3, 2007, 2:59 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #22

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...[/QUOTE]

The Winchester Model 92 that is used in The Rifelman is different than the John Wayne one, as well as the lever.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Windsor Ontario CANADA
    Oct 3, 2007, 3:32 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #23

jts1031 said: View Post
    Mare's Legs are legal, but tend to be treated as handguns, not rifles. Bit of trivia: The rifle was chambered for .44-40, however the cartridges in Steve McQueens belt were .45-70 because they looked much more impressive...

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...
    Hello jts1031,
    From what I have read over a few sites the trivia you have is very accurate! But the part about the legality of a weapon like this I'm not sure about! Who ever wrote the text for the site I mentioned previously does believe that they are illegal in some places! I copied and pasted this part of his pitch...

You must register such a version with the B.A.T.F. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) for a one-time registration fee of $200.00 because the barrel length is under the Federal minimum of 16-inches. Currently, there are 8 States that do not allow possession of our fully functional version. They are WA, IL, CA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, & DE.

I would think he would need to be as accurate as possible! If he is wrong he could lose a lot of sales in the states he lists!
    But look at the bright side, you don't live in Canada were the laws are a lot stiffer! Just buying a BB gun up here can be a chore and a half!
    Best to all, Petseal
    Oct 3, 2007, 3:49 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #24

Petseal said: View Post
    You must register such a version with the B.A.T.F. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) for a one-time registration fee of $200.00 because the barrel length is under the Federal minimum of 16-inches. Currently, there are 8 States that do not allow possession of our fully functional version. They are WA, IL, CA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, & DE.
    It becomes a Class III firearm a SBR (short barrel rifle) and requires a lot of paperwork, an extensive background check, finger prints, photos and a long wait to obtain the transfer paperwork and the $200 tax stamp... This is as the Federal level, then the State laws come into play... Some States allow you to have a Class III SBR even though they may forbid other Class III firearms... In most states you can simply have the barrel cut by a gunsmith and file the paperwork stated above, in others it's 100% illegal...

Another way around this is that if a NEW receiver is manufactured and registered as a pistol receiver rather then a rifle then the barrel length doesn't come into play and it simply becomes a pistol as long as it meets all the requirements of being a pistol... You see this being done with the AK47s and AR15s, both being offered as pistols now...
  26. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    L.A.
    Oct 3, 2007, 5:17 PM - Re: The Rifleman Props #25

Go to web and look up Brownell.(I think it spelled that way)they carry gun parts and they sell the levers for the Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles on their website.Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast