Resistance 2 Chimeran Bullseye Replica Project- DONE!!

garybarth

Sr Member
Hey Gang,

A few months ago, I put out the word on the RPF that I needed a prop builder to fabricate a replica weapon from a PS3 game. It had to be sturdy, have lights and sound and be super accurate. Well, former MR VP of Design Steve Dymszo accepted my challenge.

Steve started with just 6 rendered pics of the gun from the game at various angles. It's about 80% metal (CNC milled and stamped aluminum and brass) and Steve made the rest of the parts out of styrene sheet and then molded them. It required 13 pages of engineered blueprints and Jon Williams from Efx-Tek did the electronics. It weighs in around 28 lbs.

The weapon now resides in the very happy hands of Ted Price, President of Insomniac Games (developers of the Resistance games).

Here's a few pics:

B10.jpg

B13.jpg

B11.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B5.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B6.jpg

B4.jpg

B9.jpg

b21.jpg

b19.jpg

b22.jpg

b18.jpg

B15.jpg

b16.jpg

b17.jpg

b20.jpg

B12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that is simply insanely amazing ! all that work for a one-off !
Just one thing, I thing that piece just behind the grip is upside down/backwards.

Just one thing, I thing that piece just behind the grip is upside down/backwards.

Good catch! We have to make a couple tweaks to the gun's electronics the next time we're in Burbank, so we'll address that as well.

Gary

That is astounding. :confused

Do the little pointer gizmos at the top of the gun move too?

More importantly... where can I buy one? :lol

That is just so awesome. Whoever owns it will be very very happy I'm sure. :thumbsup

That is one sweet build! I'd love to see more video game weapons done.

Good catch! We have to make a couple tweaks to the gun's electronics the next time we're in Burbank, so we'll address that as well.

Gary

That piece is neither backwards or upside down - the entire geometry is off. The milled slot should be down by the knob, but the step in the slope, should be on the top side of the angle. Unfortunately, I think you'd have to make an entirely new piece.

But again, really freakin' cool piece, regardless!

-Fred

That has to be the SICKEST thing I've seen on this sight. Absolutely amazing and who cares that, that one piece is a little off, I mean really That's the coolest thing I've seen anyone make. If there is anything on this sight that compares to this, someone needs to tell me about it because that really takes the cake. My only problem with the piece is that some one would paint over machined metal. I would have had to make those parts from plastic. Isn't it some kind of sin to paint over something that beautiful?

Great work !!! I'm really taken back.

Last edited:
It's so great to finally see a RESISTANCE prop :thumbsup I just love the game and this Bullseye looks fantastic (besides some minor differences visible in the last pic). Wonder how much this baby cost to make :confused

Since the weapon went to Ted Price, did you get the 6 rendered pics you mentioned from Insomniac? After playing RFOM I was searching for reference pics and it really isn't easy to find anything helpful. Wish their would be an Art or Making of Resistance book showing all the weaponary and armor.

That is Super Sweet.
just bought Resistance 2, need to finish Resistance 1 first
before moving on,

And I would be happy with a resin/metal version

Great job to everyone involved and thanks for sharing the pics

Glad you like it. Steve definately had his work cut out for him. Just about every part had to be custom made...even he odd little knobs on the sides.

Aside from the goof (which will be addressed), there had to be some small details changed in order to make this weapon. When you design a gun in Maya or 3D Studio Max for a videogame, you have very few restrictions. The same can't be said for a real version.

You need to use screws to hold on metal plates as they don't magically stay in place (yes, we could have designed some kind of anchor system, but we had a limited amount of time and budget). Also, cables actually need to attach somewhere (this thing had a few that floated in space), and sometimes we had to tweak the dimensions a bit (the bottom of the grip). Other than that, it's pretty accurate.

We got the renders from Insomniac. If they are cool with me releasing them, I will. The gun cost thousands...and that's all I can say. I have about another 140 pics of the gun's parts being fabricated, and if you are interested in seeing them, I'll post them.

Gary

YES! All OF THEM! I like "making of" pictures more than I like finished pictures. I'm willing to bet a lot of guys here do to!

We got the renders from Insomniac.
If you are in touch with Insomniac please let them know that their work deserves a detailed Art or Making of book (more than the 32 page book that comes with the R2 CE) ;) They are expanding the Resistance Universe anyway, so I guess the demand would be there...
I have about another 140 pics of the gun's parts being fabricated, and if you are interested in seeing them, I'll post them.
Definitely interested!!!

Thanks Gary.

There are about 300 to 400 parts in the rifle, and because of the way it was drawn (except for a handful of parts) EVERY component had to be made from scratch. Most of the screws were odd size/shapes and most had to be ground to custom lengths/ head sizes to match the images exactly. Some of the really odd screws/bolts were $2+ a PIECE. The McMaster Carr ordering desk folks were my best friends for two months. :lol

There are 28 LEDs in each rifle and one working, high-power laser module in the front. There is about 25 feet of wiring running back and forth to get power to everything. Lots of chase holes had to be drilled into the inner aluminum frame to run the "real wires" around and most of it is cleverly hidden. Oddly enough, I couldn't use most of the "greeblie" wiring visible on the exterior of the rifle. (which was mostly painted bungee cords and coax cable). It generally wasn't running where I needed it to go for my electronics power needs. :unsure

Like Gary said, all of the components were originally drawn in 2D to fit in "3D spaces". Big cables went to nowhere and two parts would occupy the same space at the same time in different views. Some parts that were 1/4-inch wide in a side view, were 0-inch wide in a top view, so that the original designer could get the part to fit in "CGI space". Obviously, I didn't have that luxury. Geometry also varied from image to image, so I had to redesign the gun so everything would all work together and fit in real space.

On that "Z-block" thingie... I painted/weathered it beforehand, and it was the last part that I screwed onto the gun before completing it. In my mad rush to get the gun photographed and packed before Fedex showed up at my door, I screwed it on BACKWARDS. So, it isn't upside down, nor does it have to be "re-machined". But thanks for pointing that out. The other five guns will have it correctly oriented.

Yes, It is kind of sad to paint all of that metal. However, I think the ART is...to be able to blend all of the machined and stamped aluminum, steel, brass, resin, sheet plastic, rubber, polycarbonate, etc so it looks like ONE uniform object in space. Not a collage of unrelated materials. Once it is painted and weathered, nobody should be able to tell where one material ends and another begins. Does that make sense? I think that is the "artistic element" of it. Well...it is TO ME anyway... :)

While I really wanted to make the upper sights "swing", I just couldn't. The LEDs required too much wiring and I had to use a big brass tube to reinforce the whole assembly. That took up a lot of space. There was no practical way to get the sights to be able to move like the game footage in the space alloted.
And WHY exactly, would you have sights move back and forth? Wouldn't that make it a bit hard to bet a bead on your target? Shoot THERE...NO! THERE! wait...THERE!!! :lol

These guns are MONSTERS. They are also VERY impractical. There are tons of wiring, cables, and "greeblies" hanging out in space, just begging to get ripped off. Since these things were going to get handled a lot, I had to make everything as tough as possible.

And bright blinking lights?

In combat? :wacko

"Hey...where are the enemy???"

"RIGHT OVER THERE! See those bright lights???

"OH, RIGHT! Shoot 'em!!!"

Last edited:
I noticed while playing recently that the sights only move when you do. They level out with the weapon is still. So I guess it could be some sort of device to make sure that you've got the gun stable and aimed true. Of coarse when you snipe with it, your using the end of the gun and not the little spinning dohickeys so I guess it's a bit pointless in the long run. :lol

I'd love to see inprog shots and pics of the renders if at all possible. I'd love to try and build one of these myself at some point.

You guys wouldn't be building the carbine anytime soon would you? :love

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back