The RedHood (Pics inside) -Batman- Help modeling the helmet & mask for pepakura

No flea markets around here, and yes, I'm going to carry a live dagger into a con, XP

And thanks Kyle, but 1. I would never pay that much for that, it's not the one I want and 2. it got sold anyway before I got on, lol

I've seen Pit Viper's work currently on E-bay. Each person has their own take on this mask as we've seen several versions of it depending on the media (comic, art, movie, etc.). Here's my current attempt. I've based this off of a hockey style mask. I've coated the base with a layer of non sulfur clay and have begun to smooth it. Once I have it the overall shape like I want, I will put it on a full head armature and sculpt on the back with the same clay. From that point, I'll smooth, add detail (lines), etc. Then, mold with a silicone jacket and Plasti-Paste mother around. My goal is to slush out a few copies or just do a few laid up with some nice fiberglass. We'll have to see what works out the best. I think I'll follow Pit Viper's model and use a silver reflective lens in the center of the eye for the reflection as my model will wear the Robin mask underneath so he can take the helmet off and still be "in costume" so to speak. One question for those who have actually seen this character more than I have. Do the lines that continue above the eyes connect at the back of the helmet somewhere or do they just continue over the top and to back edge?

Jesse

Wanted to throw a quick update on this sculpt. Moved the initial sculpt over to a full head form and started working with the back. After a major redesign shift was performed, I actually cut the helmet in half, fit it to my model and then replaced it on the form to add about 1.5 inches of length the dome on top of the helmet. I also, with the help of a friend, decided to square up the back of the helmet, square off the jaw and add a bit to the forehead area. I think its coming along well. Some more buildup, smoothing and final line cuts and we can mold this sucker.

The pictures attached show a reverse order of progression with the first two being as the sculpt stands now and the next three showing a regression of the sculpt. You can see in the earlier forms the face was kicked out about 20 degrees (flaw on my part) and also the chin and nose were not linear. This is due to the substructure mask being that way. I had originally wanted to leave it that way, but decided later on it didn't look right for the character.

Thanks go out to my pal Mr. Darrell Phillips (Madog) for assistance with the sculpt.

Jesse

It's looking great so far, it looks like you just need a little more in the back, and then to fill in the eyes either with white or red reflective lenses or something.

I think I'm going for a silver reflective lens deep set in the eye once the cast comes out of the mold. I'll need to cut it out and then paint the appropriate black in place. I think, when photos are taken, the silver will reflect well giving the proper "white eye" effect. The model wearing this will have the Robin latex mask on his face under the helmet so he can pull off the helmet and still be in costume so to speak.

Thanks for the compliments though. I hope it turns out well.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back