Red Book of Westmarsh Help

Scottryan15

finding a journal is no problem at all but I can find the pages of the book or anything to base it on?
If anybody has it and wants to sell it or anything please tell me. I'm just looking to make my own prop

If you're undertaking this project then I assume you've already seen Magnoli's version, which in my mind at least is the definitive replica of the RBoW. Which I'm not offering up as a reference source, simply pointing you to an already finished replica. If you wanted to use his as a reference, I'd advise contacting him and asking for permission, an act made easier by the fact that he's a member here.

Other than that, I have very little to offer apart from this post from the Lord of the Rings Fanatics forum (by no means an official source)

The "Red Book of Westmarch" idea was a conceit that was popularly used by authors - where they claim to be translating a story they found in another book; in Tolkien's case he "translated" the Red Book of Westmarch into the stories that became The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The languages are entirely different as far as I'm aware, according to HoME - Westron is represented by English but is not English, and the Rohirric tongue represented by Old English but not in fact Old English. The Elvish elements I assume are as they were meant to be.

As far as I am aware there has not actually been a publication of "The Red Book of Westmarch" - that is, LotR and TH together along with "notes from Sam". Perhaps one of our books experts might know better whether it has been tried before.

All in all there is very little material to base it on, best of luck to you.

Yep, Magnolis Book is great... If I ever have the money... :love

I would suggest to think about to get a finshed replica of him before you start the work, as far as I know he offers blank books of it, maybe thats a good start, if you want to do it yourself...

Im sure, there are no finished pages in the web, where you have just to print out the stuff and make a book from it...

But if you like to make the sites by yourself, get some "inspiration" from magnolis book, theres a video from his book on youtube, where he show every single page from the book... Im sure no-one will say anything if you write/draw the pages by yourself inspired from magnolis book...

By the way: is it handwritten or possible to use one of the fonts like Bilbohand or frodohand?!?

But I think, I won't start working on something like this... Im too lazy for this... Hopefully I have saved the money for your book in close future...

A truly one of a kind masterpiece Magnoli. I am curious. Did you just right a synopsis for each book or did you just make up a tale that was close to the real story? Your illustrations are just awesome. I noted some were classic Tolkien and some were from the movie.

At any rate, just breathtaking. I noticed you were wearing Aragon's ring ;)

thomas;)

Here's the HQ video: Lord of the Rings: Red Book of Westmarch Prop Replica HQ (by Indy Magnoli) - YouTube

You should be able to make out the text on almost every page. It's a great way to share this information but without the possibility of someone really "recasting" the book. It took me two years of work to write the entire thing out and do all the illustrations.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

This project was a collaboration of several LOTR fans, including ob1al here at the RPF, who helped by condensing The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy into a 1st person retelling. We mixed elements of the books and films, but where they disagreed, we opted for the book version. The entire book is readable and a really nice alternative to the actual books, being in the "voices" of Bilbo, Frodo and Sam, from their own points of view.

For those doing their own version, I would use Daniel Reeve's fonts as they are the most authentic, and will save you TON of time.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

It would be quite time consuming to type out page for page from the video but i guess that's alot easier than writing it myself.

Yep, I think it's hard to read the small text and side notes, but bigger letters are no problem. The angle of the cam is good, so you can make some screenshots and take the drawings as a pattern for your own drawings...

Very nice... Looks like fun to make a book like that... But you're right, it will take some time...

greatings

I am trying to make my own just based on the movies. I figure it will take about three years manly waiting for the next two movies to come out, and then find the script. But to get you started I found the frist three scripts on line in pdf format. Its a great place to start. You can copy most of the text to a word doc. then re write it in frist person and make up the rest. This is copy righted scripts so dont try to sale them but I dont see the harm in making your self one as fan art. Also Indy magnoli had some move prop covers for sale, check with him maby he can hook you up.

http://www.fempiror.com/otherscripts/LordoftheRings1-FOTR.pdf

http://www.fempiror.com/otherscripts/LordoftheRings2-TTT.pdf

http://www.fempiror.com/otherscripts/LordoftheRings3-ROTK.pdf

good luck

Last edited:
To be honest I would have absolutely no idea on where to start by writing it, I'm going to try to copy indys text from his video, i guess that will give me a heads start.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back