Recasting a Sci-Fi Icon; The Classic Star Trek Communicator

I really like how you outlined the mic grill and the moire so there is no way to miss place these two holes when your cutting them in. Thanks again John for all you do!! I can't wait to see this baby in the mail box:love

Steve P

Good eye Steve. I was actually able to preserve the detail showing
the original holes, and cut-outs on the screen-used shells.
When you cut out the moire bezel, mic grille, and indicator light
areas as indicated on the interior of your shells, you will have
accurately replicated the original positions for these items. In fact
once you've cut out those areas, the replica shells are easily
confused with the original set of shells used to create the kit:)

http://www.saucersoverhollywood.com/saucersoverhollywood/store/commkit_sales/index.html

I keep wondering how many "hubs" got ripped off from Shatner doing the "twist" on them. He did a significant amount of "gain" adjustment in some shots.

This kit is a beauty. As a long time comm freak I'm excited to see how those shells feel in the hand...

Great work

I keep wondering how many "hubs" got ripped off from Shatner doing the "twist" on them. He did a significant amount of "gain" adjustment in some shots.

This kit is a beauty. As a long time comm freak I'm excited to see how those shells feel in the hand...

Great work

Having had the honor of holding the originals and John's proto-type, I can say it just felt right!!:love You are going to flip when you see this kit in person!

Steve P

So, any chance of bezel and jewel ring "upgrade kits" being made available for retrofitting AA comms to make them more screen accurate?

Holy Grail, Batman!
Congrats, John, on this kit 'o beauty! I need to get ordering, like, NOW!
An accurate antidote to all those damn fat-butt comms- finally!

Just got off phone with John, and he said he is putting finishing touches on instructions and certificates before he boxes them up and ships off the first batch of orders. He said if all goes well he should be sending them out as soon as this weekend and, if not, then almost assuredly next week, and that they'll be shipped Priority in US (and perhaps elsewhere, I forgot to clarify), so anyone that has already ordered may see their kits as soon as middle of next week! Can't wait!

Just waiting on the postage rate to the UK from John and I can get my order in...

Can't wait to start this beauty !

So, any chance of bezel and jewel ring "upgrade kits" being made available for retrofitting AA comms to make them more screen accurate?

If John isn't selling parts, the wheel hubs can be gotten on eBay, and the swarovski jewels can be gotten at online stores.

Nice job on the Comm John!

Tom

Good eye Steve. I was actually able to preserve the detail showing
the original holes, and cut-outs on the screen-used shells.
When you cut out the moire bezel, mic grille, and indicator light
areas as indicated on the interior of your shells, you will have
accurately replicated the original positions for these items. In fact
once you've cut out those areas, the replica shells are easily
confused with the original set of shells used to create the kit:)

Okay, you did send Greg Jein back the originals, right? :lol

Tom

Would someone please direct me to a source where I could buy the "correct" (1/10th/30 second) stop watch for the upcoming "hero build?"

Thank you,

David

Since John has painstakingly and obsessively (love it!) taken care to make sure that his kit has "authentic" parts, it is my wish to utilize a stop watch that is as close as possible to "authentic" as well.

I don't know, 42 years later, how possible this is, but maybe someone else knows (has a "source').

Either way, after I have the kit and the stop watch, I will need someone to build it for me, since I do not have the talent, confidence, or the tools (as simple as they may be!!). :wacko

David

Last edited:
Hi guys-just a quick "heads-up," these will begin shipping tomorrow!
Thanks for your patients, I think you'll feel they have paid off:) I am so
pleased with how these turned out-truly the fulfillment of a life-
long dream for me. Also, the response to this kit has been great, so
if you haven't yet ordered yours, now would be a good time!
http://www.saucersoverhollywood.com/saucersoverhollywood/store/commkit_sales/index.html
Thanks again guys, and for those who receive their kits this coming
week, please let me know what you think!

John Long

Didn't think I could afford one, but I decided to simply ask for cash for my birthday this year and it worked! Just ordered and I am very excited to see it. I want to compare/contrast with the Rodd.com unbuilt kit I have. When I decide that the Rodd kit is no longer worthy of my time, I'll send it to eBay.

John - thanks from one long time TOS fan to another. I probably built my first comm (a large cabinet hinge with some perforated metal attached as the grill) 34 years ago and now, finally, I can get my hands on a truly accurate replica of the dream prop.

Now I have to figure out how to put the electronics from an AA comm inside.

Mine has arrived and it is glorious! I will get pictures up tonight when I get home from work. The most interesting thing that I learned from seeing the back side of the top shell and reading John's historical piece on this prop is why the back edge of the control well is slightly tipped. The buck was obviously damaged and reworked to still be able to use it! You can clearly see the crack and major work on the right side, top (From the inside of the shell) of the control well. The crack runs diagonally right across the Moire All the way to the other side of the shell!! Your going to flip out when you see all the original tool marks!!

More later tonight, I promise!

Steve P

Found someone with a camera!!!!!!!! Enjoy...

CIMG4175.jpg

CIMG4173.jpg

CIMG4171.jpg

CIMG4167.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back