R2-D2 foam build. Pictures of R2's trip to school.

Re: R2-D2 foam build.

Another update. Started working on the should pieces. The Eye is just a piece I cut out quickly just for fun to see what it would look like.
DSCF5488.jpg

DSCF5489.jpg

Hey Jamie, I don't know if you're setting any rules about ONLY using foam, but the Radar eye lens can be made using just a plain old empty 2 liter soda bottle! Just cut part of the shoulder portion out, trim it to fit inside the radar eye, then spray paint the inside of it with black spray paint!
Just a fun tip. This is EXACTLY what I did with mine. He's got a Dr. Pepper eye. :)
8e931544.jpg

I still can't get over how awesome this build is. I bet your kids are thrilled!

Thanks man, No I am not just going to use foam. It is just all i can really afford. But I think I will be able to afford a 2lt soda bottle. Thanks for the tip. I am mainly using foam because it is fo cheap but I will be using anything I can find. And yes my kids are loving the build thanks.And thanks for the kind words.

You R2 looks amazing by the way.

Thanks. I started work on the vents this afternoon.
They are not glued in yet, I have buy some blue spray paint tomorrow and paint them first, then the fun of trying to glue it in flush begins.
DSCF5509.jpg

Simply looks great. Well done! But... all these budget R2 builds are putting too many ideas in my head! :lol

Thanks again guys.
Here is a newer update, Started painting the blue sections and been working on the holoprojector.
DSCF5510.jpg

DSCF5519.jpg

DSCF5515.jpg

Thanks.
Here is another update. Been doing a bit of work on it in between laundry.
Made some vents and coin slots and returns. all out of foam.
DSCF5520.jpg

Sprayed them all up.
DSCF5521.jpg

And then glued them in place.
DSCF5523.jpg

From a distance it looks great and even close up not too bad. I think once it is all done I will weather it a little, that will help hide some of the glue marks. lol.

Best. Dad. Evar.

<<<<DOH!!! READ THE STUPID THREAD>>>>

Regardless, he looks phenomenal, and I particularly like your solution for the holo-projector!

Worked on the side vents, flat bottom side panels and the other front lower port on R2 today.

Side vents.
DSCF5536.jpg

Had to trim a little out of the bottom panel so it would still fit flush.
DSCF5538.jpg

DSCF5540.jpg

DSCF5541.jpg

Next I am going to work on the booster covers for the legs.

Last edited:
Re: R2-D2 foam build. All front and side body panels finished.

I have watched a number of your threads, and all I can say is that while you're very talented, and a serious perpetual contender for Father-of-the-Year, what impresses me the most is the shear amount of ingenuity you have.

I've wanted an R2, and always though it would be too big a project (and too expensive) for me to handle, and it never would have occured to me to tackle the problem like you have! Well done!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back