PVC - PKD Scrap-Scratch Build

Felgacarb

Sr Member
The parameters: Approximately 6 hours over two days to construct a replica of one of my favorite movie props using only materials I already have at hand, preferably scrap- working from memory and a crude hand sketch.

The goal: Have fun!

Note: If screen accuracy and extreme attention to detail is your passion, well, that didn't happen here. (Perhaps you'd care to visit Adam Savage's excellent thread instead?) You've been warned...

The materials were mostly left over PVC pipe. 1/2" and 3/4" Schedule 40 were used for the barrel and the upper bolt carrier. A 2" PVC elbow was cut up to make the cylinder covers, bolt handle, and triggers. The 'frame' is pine, and the grip panels were cut from 1/4" plexiglass. Most of the assembly is done with wood screws, but some Duco cement was used as well.

The primary tools used were a miniature scroll saw, a belt sander and a dremel.

The finish is the three rattle can approach, using spray on black, silver and 'hammered copper' for the grips. A bit of dry brushing was done for some rough weathering.

PKD-PVC-201001.jpg

PKD-PVC-201009.jpg

PKD-PVC-201011.jpg

PKD-PVC-201015.jpg

PKD-PVC-201024.jpg

PKD-PVC-201030.jpg

PKD-PVC-201027.jpg

PKD-PVC-201033.jpg

PKD-PVC-201034.jpg

PKD-PVC-201047.jpg

PKD-PVC-201038.jpg

PKD-PVC-201050.jpg

As for scale, no measurements were used, I simply tried to make it fit my hand. Proportionally, I think it came out a bit stubby...

I like it. :thumbsup

Always wanted to try a scratch-build like this for a movie-version Dredd Lawgiver, just to see what would happen.

This project turned out remarkably well (IMO), ESPECIALLY considering how intricate the film blaster is... :cool

Cool.

It's ironic you should post this as I just restarted my own PKD-ish gun project. Given the problems I've had with the dollar store toy I've been using for the base gun, I was wondering if a simple piece of wood wouldn't be a better core for the blaster. Sure enough, you've proven it is. Well done.

The only thing I might do differently is more silver paint. Apart from that, it's exactly what I'd want in a PKD.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back