Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 21, 2009, 4:25 AM - Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #1

hey guys! first major prop I'm making. Its Percy's sword, Riptide.

For those who don't know, the Percy Jackson series is an amazing book series by Rick Riordan. Synopsis from Wikipedia:

The protagonist is a 12 year-old boy named Percy Jackson who discovers that he is the son of Poseidon, god of the sea. He learns that the legendary beings of Greek mythology still exist, including Cyclopes, Empousai, Titans, and of course the Olympians (Greek gods) themselves who are in Olympus on the mythical 600th floor of the Empire State Building. Percy meets many other young demigods, both friendly and hostile, who are also in the process of discovering their heritage and powers.

In the first book, percy recieves the sword Anaklumos, or riptide, a gift from his father. It is disguised as a pen, but when uncapped, it returns to its true form of a large bronze sword. Here is a caption about it from the first book:

"I took off the cap, and the pen grew longer and heavier in my hand. In half a second, I held a shimmering bronze sword with a double-edged blade, a leather-wrapped grip, and a flat hilt riveted with gold studs. It was the first weapon that actually felt balanced in my hand."

So, the sword described here is pretty boring. I think I'm going to take some artistic license, and go a step further. Since it was a gift from his father Poseidon. I was thinking of decorating the hilt with images of tridents, horses, dolphins, waves, and hippocampi. And I had the Idea of making the pommel a seashell. Any design ideas for the hilt are greatly appreciated.

The sword is often described as being metallic bronze. Is there any way to achieve this look with paint? I've also heard that you an get things like this chromed. Would this work? and how much would that hurt my wallet? lol

the other thing is, I don't know what kind of sword to go with. I was thinking a greek style, but I don't know what that would specifically entail. I was planning on buying a wooden one, and modding it, because I want to be able to bring it to cons.
    here are the swords I am looking at:
    http://www.realmcollections.com/p175...ice-sword.html
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3693084
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3693082
    http://www.swordsknivesanddaggers.co...ing_Sword.aspx

also, here are the best pictures I could snag of what is shown of the sword from the covers:

last but not least, although the design of the sword looks like garbage in the picture below, I loved the wave design on the blade. I was thinking of doing it engraved in the wood (woodburner or dremel or something) and then painting it in a metallic blue. what do you think?
    From
    Burlington ON
    Jul 21, 2009, 7:31 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #2

My son loves this series of books. Can't wait to see what you come up with. You might try picking up some different metallic paints an types of woods, then testing them out to see what looks best before you commit to a sword design. Try a google search for painting wood to look like metal, I'm sure there must be a few tutorials out there.

Cheers,
    Neil.
    From
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jul 21, 2009, 7:39 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #3

Awesome idea! What a fun series of books. I'll have to post pictures of my version of Anaklumos tonight.
  4. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jul 21, 2009, 11:48 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #4

It might be easy to have it bronzed. People are always bronzing baby shoes.

The sword (Excalibur) in one of my favorite swords and sandals book series, Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles, has a seashell pommel.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 21, 2009, 11:52 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #5

bump
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 23, 2009, 9:01 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #6

bumpity bump
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 25, 2009, 1:22 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #7

so no help guys?
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 25, 2009, 11:27 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #8

pretty please help me out guys!!!!
    From
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Jul 26, 2009, 2:21 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #9

arivin923 said: View Post
    "I took off the cap, and the pen grew longer and heavier in my hand. In half a second, I held a shimmering bronze sword with a double-edged blade, a leather-wrapped grip, and a flat hilt riveted with gold studs. It was the first weapon that actually felt balanced in my hand."
    It sounds like the author intended a two-foot - bronze swords were short - version of the style of early bronze-age dagger with a tangless triangular bronze blade riveted to a bronze handle. Off the top of my head, other greek styles don't match as well; either the handle isn't bronze (or bronze-covered) or the rivets would be non-existent or hidden under a hilt wrapping or too small to qualify as 'studs'. A god would also be expected to possess an older-style weapon and this way the blade shape, if not the hilt, matches the cover art. Regardless, best to ask in the myarmoury forums.

No point starting with a ready-made sword. Just cut out the pattern from plywood or sintra, build up the handle on either side and round the edges. Hehe, 'just'.

Bronze electroplating probably isn't worth the cost given what bronzed baby booties go for, but you never know until you ask. Failing that you could paint it or use Rub-n-Buff but art stores also sell powdered bronze and binding mediums for - wait for it - faking the appearance of bronze objects.

I like the seashell pommel and the waves on the blade. Would be nice to use iridescent paint for the later.

From
    Sweden
    Jul 26, 2009, 9:54 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #10

In my mind it looks something like this.

From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 27, 2009, 10:28 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #11

ya that is how I pictured it too, except different hilt, and in a bronze color. But where can I find a wooden one that looks like that?
    From
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Jul 29, 2009, 2:21 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #12

I don't think anyone mass-produces a wooden xiphos. Your best bet if you want to go that route is to reshape a wooden gladius. For reference of final appearance, note the construction of the xiphos hilt below: slabs of wood or bone go on either side of the tang (with the pommel being a separate barrel) and then metal strips are riveted over the top. Also, for what it's worth, this.

From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 29, 2009, 9:28 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #13

o sweet, thanks! any chance anyone wants to help me design the hilt? I think I'm going to take a little artistic license, and instead of some boring rivets, I was thinking a sea-green stone with a trident, and like on either side either a seahorse, a hippocampi, or a horse, and maybe some of that greek squigly design on the top ad bottom. I don't have a scanner and cant draw at all on the compuer or I'd show you.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 30, 2009, 10:33 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #14

some design ideas pretty please?
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 31, 2009, 10:36 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #15

will someone please draw up a design thingy for me please?
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 1, 2009, 4:16 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #16

please guys, don't make me beg!

on another note, while reading through book 5, it mentions that the sword is 3 feet long
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 2, 2009, 3:14 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #17

ok, I picked up the sword, I've finalized the design. Now I just need some help with doing it lol

1) there are some grooves in the sword that i don't want. can I fill them in with something?

2) the center of the design is going to be sea green stone on top of a sketched in and painted picture of a trident. where can i find a stone or whatever to use?

3) I want to replace the pommel with a wooden seashell. having trouble finding a good one. any help is appreciated

thanks guys!
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 2, 2009, 3:53 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #18

also, where can I get leather to wrap the handle with?
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 2, 2009, 9:17 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #19

bump
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 4, 2009, 1:23 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #20

pics of the sword I picked up:

From
    Sweden
    Aug 4, 2009, 5:27 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #21

Looks like Zeldas mastersword with a diffrent colour.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 4, 2009, 11:48 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #22

well i'm taking off the diamond and the pommel, and wrapping leather on the handle, So hopefully it'll look way different afterwords. But what can I use to fill in the grooves in the handle?
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 5, 2009, 2:47 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #23

I would use Bondo to fill those grooves.
  24. Member Since
    May 2012
    May 28, 2012, 11:29 PM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #24

hi big fan of the book here and i cant help but notice that the hilt would not look like that as it is no a weapon made from the sea it is true that it was a gift to percy from his dad but it was zoe nightshades and she would not have one like that
    Jun 6, 2012, 12:26 AM - Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Riptide #25

Greetings,
    I built the new Riptide sword for the new film. Just wait until you see what I did with this. To give a little hint...... i went as far as to contact a respected authority on ancient greek swords for the type of metal make up of the bronze and copper they would have had back then. The original sword cam in at around 1.4 lbs.... mine ended up being 5 lbs. lol Cant show pics or say anymore about the project but I know you all will go crazy over it.

Sorry for the tease.... just figured I would give the Percy fans a little something to look forward to without actually giving anything out. Have to keep that NDA in mind at all times.