Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 12:48 PM - Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) UPGRADES! #1

Hi All! If you missed my introduction in the intro thread my name is Alan and I live in Chicago near Wrigleyville. I have a wonderful and patient wife and a 15 month old daughter. By day I work at home as a graphics designer. I like beer and sometimes perform improv.

I won't lie, it has been intimidating to post here. You are all AMAZINGLY talented! But I thought I would share my Pep pack build (files unfolded by Adam VanDuyn ProtonCharger / THEMANWOANAME) this was my first attempt at anything like this. Before I had seen Adams thread on GBfans I had never even heard of Pepakura. Now I love it! The build took 8 months total. I'll give a more abridged version here.

Few of the first pieces -

It was around this point that I REALLY started hating superglue. Like.. HATES ITS! WE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATESSSSSSSSSSSSSS ITSSSSSSSSSSS!

On a side note, my Proton Pack fit into my china cabinet.

I would not have gotten through the above piece without some of the threads on the RPF. It warped on me bad and literally had me ready to trash the whole deal. But after reading through some of your incredible builds making entire suits of armor I bucked up, took my time and went at it a few different ways and it worked out!

DONE WITH THE MAIN BODY! I did make a Cyclotron but later in the build it warped and I ended up buying one from the UK.

Gun Body -

This is why I love Pepakura! Flat piece of card stock... Cut, fold and glue! You got a shape!

More later... Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Jeebee25; Apr 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Changed title
  2. The PiF has a heartbeat!! RPF Premium Member Nobby's Avatar
    From
    Norwich - UK
    Sep 5, 2012, 1:11 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #2

absolutely awesome!
    That's a helluva job to undertake, but great to see you're sticking with it
    From
    Maryland
    Sep 5, 2012, 1:26 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #3

I shudder when I see the words "pepakura" and "proton" together, because of the fiddliness of it, but great build!
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 1:33 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #4

Dave Ward said: View Post
    I shudder when I see the words "pepakura" and "proton" together, because of the fiddliness of it, but great build!
    I certainly don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to do another one. And thanks!
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Sep 5, 2012, 3:09 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #5

Dave Ward said: View Post
    Actually, to me a pepakura is almost ideal for a proton pack. Think about it. Once you strip away all the cables and greeblies and cylinders (for which PVP pipe works fine) and cake pans, you are left with a bunch of rectangular boxes.

Much less fiddliness than something like Iron Man or Halo armor.
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 3:39 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #6

I'm going to do this in sections since I have only so much free time in the day. Also I really want to get my post count up above 20 so I don't have to see that god awful message on the top of my screen

Fiberglass! This was the first time I had ever messed with the stuff. I have always avoided it since I thought it was an itchy, smelly mess. And you know what? it was an itchy, smelly mess...

First coat of resin -

After a few weeks (I was doing this work at my in-laws place outside of Toledo (Within site of the Davis-Bessy Nuclear Power Plant. How fitting..) the resin was cured. Time for Chopmat -

I did the upper and lower halves in two parts. My thinking was that I could get into the nooks and crannies when it came time to do all the sanding. I would not suggest this route for anyone's build. I had some warping issues that I think I could have avoided. I also Rondod a few places that I was worried would have voids in them since they were so tight and then fiberglassed over that.

When I got it back to Chicago I needed a work space that was not our dinning room table (much to my the relief of my wife) so I cleared out our back porch and made a nice little work area.

I got my fiberglass Cyclotron from the UK and got ready to do the body work.

You will also notice that I made the upper center part out of rondo. Well, I had a heart stopping moment when it started separating from the paper. But as I pulled it away it pretty much came out like a cast part. ONWARD!
    From
    Everybody's lost but me!
    Sep 5, 2012, 4:11 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #7

There are many pep projects that I think "what's the point?" ie: a lot of work for something that could be built quicker & better & cheaper other ways.

The proton pack however is a perfect example of a great use of pep!

Nice work so far, very clean.
    From
    Castellón de la Plana, Spain
    Sep 5, 2012, 5:30 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #8

Very Awesome Work!!
    In a little I want to do my personal ghostbusting kit, and seein that helped a lot =D

Where did you got the paperuka files? =D
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 5:34 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #9

Orange_Blend said: View Post
    There are many pep projects that I think "what's the point?" ie: a lot of work for something that could be built quicker & better & cheaper other ways.

The proton pack however is a perfect example of a great use of pep!

Nice work so far, very clean.
    Thank you!

Faillen said: View Post
    Very Awesome Work!!
    In a little I want to do my personal ghostbusting kit, and seein that helped a lot =D

Where did you got the paperuka files? =D
    Thanks! From GBfans.com. You will have to go though this thread and find where he has them hosted now.

Paper Proton Pack build with Pep Files and Solidworks CAD fi - Community - Ghostbusters Fans Forum
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 7:42 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #10

Chapter 3 - The Great Bondo Wars of 2012

Before I got into being a graphic designer I worked in the automotive industry. I have owned over 20 cars and six motorcycles. Most of which I dragged out of barns and back lots. Learning to do simple body work was the best thing I ever did. I knew I could get this pack nice and smooth if I took my time and worked in thin layers. Sand, thin layer of bondo, sand again and primer. Look for imperfections and repeat.

That was going great! The bottom half in the picture above is as smooth as silk. Then I started on the top. Meet "LUMPY"

This just came out the opposite of what I wanted. I think it was a combo of a 100 degree day and me mixing my bondo a bit to heavy on the hardener.

Luckily it is just a bunch of boxes so it fixed up pretty easy.

Now it looks like a shell!

Making the ribs. 1/8" styrene -

Smooth as silk and ready for paint.

11. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Sep 5, 2012, 8:08 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #11

wow...very nice build
    From
    Henderson, KY
    Sep 5, 2012, 8:18 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #12

looks great. keep the pics coming
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 5, 2012, 8:31 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #13

One more before bed -

Goodbye multicolored blech! Hello Tin Man!

It was at this point that I found about NINE MILLION more flaws that I wanted to smooth out. But I knew that at some point you just have to be OK with a few flaws.

First coat of black -

Glamour shots -

I used a Krylon Satin black here but it really came out too glossy. Ended up going with PlastiKote T8 satin black and that was perfect.

More later. Thank you for letting me share.
  14. The PiF has a heartbeat!! RPF Premium Member Nobby's Avatar
    From
    Norwich - UK
    Sep 6, 2012, 1:14 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #14

this is going on my 'top ten epic pep builds' list! great stuff
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 6, 2012, 3:46 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #15

Nobby said: View Post
    this is going on my 'top ten epic pep builds' list! great stuff
    ROCK! Thank you!
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 6, 2012, 4:05 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #16

Well since whatever weird dream of "Flying Night Spiders" has prevented me for going back to sleep *shiver* I will add a post about how I got my motherboard. I was chatting with my father-in-law (an ULTRA cool guy who thankfully I get along with real well) and asked if he happened to have a source for some 1/8" aluminum sheet? He said "No, but my dad had some aluminum plate from the old GM window plant that used to be in Toledo. Would that do?"

Apparently my wives grandfather used to take home scrap metal that the plant had tossed out to use on his farm. That included this piece here -

As close as we could figure this is a buck for a mid 70's GM passenger car window. It's a slight thinner than the 1/8" I needed but since its billet plate and not rolled it has no wobble to it. Now the second cool thing about this motherboard is how it was cut. Gramps was a pretty smart fellow and when a local mill had burned down he went and purchased some of the machinery. One of those was this beast -

Back in the 60's he rebuilt this and converted it from a belt drive to electric. I don't think it will ever be moved since the shop was later rebuilt around it. This thing made short work of that aluminum plate.

Sanded smooth and ready for paint.

So in a cool way there is a bit of Toledo history in my pack. And thanks to my father in law... It was also free.
    Sep 6, 2012, 6:19 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #17

AWESOME....just AWESOME. Echoing what everyone else has said, pep seems perfect for a Proton Pack, straight lines 90 degree angles. You've done such a good job and that Motherboard looks great!
    Sep 6, 2012, 6:27 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #18

Nice ! Keep up the good work, talented newcomer.
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 6, 2012, 9:13 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #19

Thanks guys!

OK! N-Filter and Ion Arm -

Pep Ion Arm that has been Rondoed.

My first fake weld. Used plumbers putty... Kind of thick, but it was my first time using this stuff.

Made a mounting post for it out of styrene -

DONE!

N-Filter is two PVC couplers that I cut down and glued together.

Bolted on -

Pattern for the filter vents -

Added some screen and a BEWARE OF DOG sign cut to fit behind it. Some more plumbers putty for the top weld and a red stripe made from electricians tape.

20. Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Sep 6, 2012, 11:44 AM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #20

wonderful
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 6, 2012, 12:59 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #21

HGA time!

Some PVC and a styrene cap -

Alan head screws, fake weld and some elbows -

Paint -

DONE!

22. The PiF has a heartbeat!! RPF Premium Member Nobby's Avatar
    From
    Norwich - UK
    Sep 6, 2012, 2:43 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #22

you know, I'm loving this more with each pic
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 6, 2012, 3:19 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #23

YAY! I'm glad you guys are liking this. I may be a one hit wonder though... I'm too fat to be Bobba Fett or anything else fun. No one seems to mind a fat Ghostbuster though. (Thank God!)

Shock Mount -

Drill a bunch of discs out of 1/8" and 1/16th styrene

Sand each one on a sanding sponge until smooth

Before and after

Superglue them together and WAH-LAH! Shock mount. Paint silver. Drink a beer.

From
    Huntsville, AL
    Sep 6, 2012, 3:28 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #24

LOOKS WONDERFUL SO FAR! Keep up the great work... I feel your pain... sanding sanding sanding sanding sanding... the key to a perfect finish.
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Sep 6, 2012, 3:37 PM - Re: Pepakura Proton Pack Build (Pic heavy) #25

Mother of all proton packs, this is awesome. Registered just to say how inspiring this post is. Keep the pictures coming